• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

G'day all,

I'm about to purchase the TKO 600 - TCET4618 which will eventually mate behind a carby aspirated Holden 355 stroker & stronger diff combo.
Anyway, I have just read a blokes story about his problem when shifting from 2nd to 3rd which he found to be a common fault, even amongst other users.
He mentioned that it may have been a particular batch of boxes manufactured in 2009. Has anybody uncounted this with their TKO?
Also I've chosen the model with the 5th gear .82 reduction ratio thinking it more versatile for street/track/touring application. Broadly speaking if this makes sense.
Any experience & opinions would appreciated.

Ando

#2 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

What issues are people having? Hard to shift out of 2nd? My TKO500 is sometimes hard to shift out a gear. Can't remember which gear, doesn't happen very often.
Welby has a 600 in his Targa hatch, he maybe able to comment.

#3 Ando

Ando

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Car:6/'76 L32 SS white & black. 9/'76 L31 SS gold. 5/'77 L31 SS Chamois. 3/'79 UC SL Deluxe hatch.
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

Here's the story I was reading; http://www.w8ji.com/...ng_problems.htm

#4 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

Not having that problem at all. Goin into 3rd is, either from 2nd or 4th is easy as.

#5 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

What does it do, just make a semi crunching noise from 2nd to 3rd?

We get it at work in the patrols, mainly from changing gears too fast. Maybe the synchros need realigning or even reconditioning?

#6 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

Glad i seen this. Am very close to ordering this box (when i find the right bellhousing for a RB30)

After a quick google (1hr) looks like the Liberty version might be at the top of my list.

Keen to hear of others experiences with standard and upgraded/fixed boxes

G'day all,

I'm about to purchase the TKO 600 - TCET4618 which will eventually mate behind a carby aspirated Holden 355 stroker & stronger diff combo.
Anyway, I have just read a blokes story about his problem when shifting from 2nd to 3rd which he found to be a common fault, even amongst other users.
He mentioned that it may have been a particular batch of boxes manufactured in 2009. Has anybody uncounted this with their TKO?
Also I've chosen the model with the 5th gear .82 reduction ratio thinking it more versatile for street/track/touring application. Broadly speaking if this makes sense.
Any experience & opinions would appreciated.

Ando

#7 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

Glad i seen this. Am very close to ordering this box (when i find the right bellhousing for a RB30)

After a quick google (1hr) looks like the Liberty version might be at the top of my list.

What is the Liberty version?

#8 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

Well after reading this
http://www.w8ji.com/...ng_problems.htm

& others, i had a look at these guys

http://www.libertysgears.com/ttc.htm

Just sent an email for freight prices.

What is the Liberty version?

#9 _brutass08_

_brutass08_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Sounds like some good research here , currently doing the same , but still not 100% confident in which model tko 600 to get , in regards to shifter location , as most people , I want to retain the exact original hole and wont massage any of the tunnel , as it's an original 5000 , it can always go back , so is this 4618 the go or what , are ya dealing local ie: dellow's or mal wood , or direct U.S.A , cheers Brutass.

Edited by brutass08, 06 July 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#10 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

my t56 and 308 came up very very close to the factory hole in my lx hatch.not sure if they are the same setup as the tko,but would be pretty similar.

#11 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

I'm looking at the 4618 too, from the dimensions here

http://www.5speedtra...dimensions.html

and a quick tape measure over a Aussie box, i reckon the TKO stick in the rear position will be only approx 1" further back in the original hole. Dont know how big the hole is in the square models :P but it would have to be darn close. No idea on your tunnel massaging as im playing with the earlier ("S" is for SEXY :tongue4:) model . After frOcking a R33 box, multiple slip yokes/tailshafts & diff housing & a couple of diff mounts, i'm now prepared to do whats needed to the tunnel to put a better box in but mines a "S" so if grinder & welder needed! So be it!

I'm looking at getting it from the states ie Liberty, for the simple fact of the upgrade they do to the shift mechanism. Still waiting for a reply on postage etc.

Sounds like some good research here , currently doing the same , but still not 100% confident in which model tko 600 to get , in regards to shifter location , as most people , I want to retain the exact original hole and wont massage any of the tunnel , as it's an original 5000 , it can always go back , so is this 4618 the go or what , are ya dealing local ie: dellow's or mal wood , or direct U.S.A , cheers Brutass.

#12 _brutass08_

_brutass08_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

Interesting to see what postage and also import duty/tax will be by the the time it lands here , cheers Brutass

#13 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL, 03 VY SS

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

I got a cost from mal wood for a new box and conversion kit which came to a total of $7000, still wondering if its worth the cost. And no tunnel mods needed with his conversion apparently.

Edited by ilovea9x, 17 July 2011 - 11:47 PM.

#14 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

Fark!

Do you have an itemized list?

Is that for a standard box? ie no shift modifications?

I'm still waiting for reply's from Liberty (sent 2 bloody emails) gunna just ring them this week.

Found this mob as well

http://www.promotion...NSMISSIONS.html

I have sent them an email as i cant see the exact box on their online store but they are quoting $174 freight to Australia for a TKO.

Dont know about import dutys/GST but for a better shifting box i am still getting one from OS

I got a cost from mal wood for a new box and conversion kit which came to a total of $7000, still wondering if its worth the cost. And no tunnel mods needed with his conversion apparently.

#15 _ls1chook_

_ls1chook_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

hey guys how bout fitting a tko 600 behind an ls1???

#16 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL, 03 VY SS

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:58 AM

Fark!

Do you have an itemized list?

Is that for a standard box? ie no shift modifications?

I'm still waiting for reply's from Liberty (sent 2 bloody emails) gunna just ring them this week.

Found this mob as well

http://www.promotion...NSMISSIONS.html

I have sent them an email as i cant see the exact box on their online store but they are quoting $174 freight to Australia for a TKO.

Dont know about import dutys/GST but for a better shifting box i am still getting one from OS

I did have the list but lost the email containing it, was a big list of little things that just add up as for the box was built from new parts Mustang or Carmaro box with custom extenion housing that uses a cable speedo and hurst shifter comes right up in factory hole. just email him he has a web page too

#17 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:24 AM

After a phone call and some tracking down of miss placed emails, i got a quote from Liberty on freight..........................................................UPS worldwide is $1010.........................................Thank frOck i was sitting down to read it again! just in case the scotch was playing tricks on me! Their getting me another quote on UPS consolidated? which will take abit longer to get here! For $1010 i want the frOcking thing here tomorrow!!!

Still waiting for a quote from Pro Motion, they are looking into it.

#18 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:59 AM

Pro Motion UPS freight is $898.

Did a dummy order thru Summit for a stock box & their freight was just under $500 BUT a note that some truck freight will be needed & may add to cost.

I'm abit stunned by the freight costs. I would cop a $500 freight if that was the total! Don't know about the extra extra's!

Anyone else got freight cost option idea's?

Quote name='LJ RB30' timestamp='1311344683' post='608881']
After a phone call and some tracking down of miss placed emails, i got a quote from Liberty on freight..........................................................UPS worldwide is $1010.........................................Thank frOck i was sitting down to read it again! just in case the scotch was playing tricks on me! Their getting me another quote on UPS consolidated? which will take abit longer to get here! For $1010 i want the frOcking thing here tomorrow!!!

Still waiting for a quote from Pro Motion, they are looking into it.
[/quote]

#19 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:01 AM

You could try using MYUS.com. They will ship 110 lbs from Florida to Perth for $508 if you have a premium membership.

I joined MYUS last week because I wanted some gear out of Texas that was going to cost me $450 in freight. It cost $25 for the company to ship from Texas to Florida and will cost around $150 from Florida to Perth plus membership. My parts won't ship for about three weeks so I will not know until then how good the service is.

When it arrives in Perth you will have to pay GST on the cost of the gearbox and shipping plus around $40 if you have to complete the customs declaration. Sometimes the freight company will handle the customs declaration at no charge.

#20 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:29 AM

I bring in rear tires for my LX through Fedex for more like $350 freight for the pair.

The wife has been getting great shipping deals from these guys here too and superb service.

http://www.hopshopgo...come.do?l=en&c=

Edited by Toranamat69, 04 August 2011 - 02:30 AM.

#21 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

Looks like the HopShopGo rates are a little better than MYUS (around $414) if you use standard delivery instead of express.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users