Your thoughts

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

hi,
Im gunna go through the whole situation to set it straight. Im currently doing my HSC and are looking to restore an LX after it. I want to replace engine with a newer V6 commodore engine, mainly for fuel economy,reliability and power. I haven't made up my mind weather to go for a "common" sedan or pay a little extra and go for a hatch.

I am not really seperated by either of their looks. The sedans look nice with the spoiler and flares but i do think the hatches look better because the rear flares aren't "broken" by the door.

I am under the belief that the 2doors will be a stiffer beter handeling car, Is there any other pros and cons that yous can shed light on.

thanks ryan

#2 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

4 doors means you dont have to get out to let people in the back!

GO THE FOUR DOORS!!!

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:19 PM

It appears there are no performance or structual differences that are noticeable. They both look equally beautiful, both attract the same amount of wanted and unwanted attenton, both have the same options etc.

Sedans rust in rear left guards
Hatches rust at C pillars and back of roof

I wonder which one's easier to fix? :rolleyes:
Sum it up practicality-wise. Neither is better or worse. Mine will be my P plater car, so i want room for my mates and so on, that's why I got a sedan. Also, more money to spend on the vehicle if you get it cheaper in the first place.

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

I am under the belief that the 2doors will be a stiffer beter handeling car, Is there any other pros and cons that yous can shed light on.

4 doors have more torsional rigidity, due to the extra structural member that sits between the front and rear doors. So because the 4 door have more torsional rigidity, theoretically the handling should also be better even though all suspension parts are identical. The other advantages with a 4 door is that 4 door specific parts are cheaper and easier to find than 2 door specific parts.

#5 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

OK thanks guys I was leaning towards the sedan option too.

Where is the C pillar im fairly new to cars lol.

Yes the Sedan i had a look at today did have the rear end rusted and both bottoms of the doors has rust, spot on Heath lol

ryan

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

Hey Ryan... Welcome to the forums

When your talking pillars, your talking about what holds the roof up!
Begin at the front of the car always.. the first pillar ( around teh windscreen and front doors) is always the A Pillar...

the next oillar is behind the front doors... B pillar...

and then comes the C pillar - its usually teh rear windscreen.. or in some cases the bit that the hatch closes onto...

Easy as pie!

My opinion.. Ive always owned 4 doors.. I dont see any difference in strength or anything.. and i like having 4 doors for a variety of reasons! my coupe HQ is a bitch to get people in and out of the back and also cant have a full roll cage cause of the taxi bar! Damnit!

Cheers

#7 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:59 PM

You're only saying sedans because you dont have hatches.....

- wait a minute?! neither do I..... bwaaahh! bwaahh :cry: :cry:

LOL

Hopefully soon to be rectified.

#8 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

hehe. Well u did have one. lol

Edited by youngy_11, 21 May 2006 - 07:54 PM.

#9 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

Your right Leakey.. i dont have a hatch! I've a coupe ;)

LOL :)

2 doors are awesome.. I really love em but theyre not as practical for a daily driver! ( Hence why my 2 door is a "race car" weekender)

Cheers :rockon:

#10 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:08 PM

get a 4 door, hatches are too much of a bitch to get parts for, plus hatches rust in the c pillar as well as everywhere else

#11 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

All Toranas rust !!! some models are worst for it. Go the Hatch, four doors are for going shopping in, dropping the kids at school etc, etc. Hatches are for cruising, racing, dragging and are chick magnets.4 doors are for taking your boyfriend to see Brokeback Mountain at the drive-in.Before I get flamed, it is an attempt at humour and trying to equal up the thread.Cmon Hatch fans, some support here. HELP!!!

#12 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:17 PM

No doubt if you stand in your back yard,
you will see the missles heading over
to the Mornington Peninsula!!!!!!

I'm with you bud!

Loved the Brokeback Mountain bit!!! LOL :clap:

-----

All Torries are good stuff though, which ever way he goes
he'll have a great piece of OZ history to be proud of.

- Leakey

#13 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:33 PM

Go The Hatch! I have owned 2 of them and i will never sell this one. Sure its harder for people to get in and out of but would u want to play taxi anyway? If you want to flog something go a sedan not because they are a sedan but they are less rare than a Hatch. Toranas are addictive though once you have one you won't stop!

Cheers

Josh

#14 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hey Hey Hey.... I'll have you know that my GIRLFRIEND purchased our 4 door..... maybe she's got ideas for the back seat!?

MUAHAHAH

;)

#15 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:11 PM

haha very funny Tiny.

#16 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

Which one handles better? 4-doors and hatches are both 30ish years old, so I think it's a bit academic. A newer car stock with 30 years development will handle better than either.

#17 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:12 AM

More 2 door toranas won Bathurst than 4 doors. How famous do you want to be? Your call :spoton:

Edited by rodomo, 23 May 2006 - 01:13 AM.

#18 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

Yea true

#19 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

Either a 2 door tourer or a 4 door sports sedan....

#20 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:15 PM

I dunno abiout the back seat there Tiny, its a tight squeeze with me in there, and your a good foot taller than me!
its easier with the back door open!

#21 _RobLX_

_RobLX_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

Ive had three hatches, must not have realised that there was a four door.

As a dad with two school age kids the 2 door is not particulaily practical, nor is it economical, then i didnt buy it for its practicallity or economy, I think that they look far more unique than the four door.

If your after praticality find a girlfriend with a four door ute, easier to get the torana parts home.

Good luck with it

#22 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

Or simply buy several cars. Works for me.

#23 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:22 AM

get a HATCH, you wont ever regret it, thats if you can find a good one... a sedan will be much easier to aquire but if your not in a hurry and have the time to look go for a HATCH...

Iv had many toranas from scab packs to 5ltr SS's even SLRs and a few GTRs..The HATCH is the one that i regreted selling the most..Never again will i sell my HATCH, i came close a few months back but thank bguck i got cold feet and didnt sell..

Long Live the HATCH

John

#24 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:23 AM

Back to Bathurst.
Between 1972 (Toranas first win) and 1979 (Toranas last race) Torana won 5 out of 8. 3 x 2door wins and 2 x 4 door wins. But only 1 x 6 cyl beat the V8's. The mighty LJ XU1! But I'm not trying to sway you (much) :spoton: Having said that the 1979 race was won by 4 laps by an A9X, 2 door (guess who?) That will probably never happen again.

#25 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2006 - 02:49 PM

AHH,yes rodomo those were the good old days in racing.These days its just not the same.I lost interest in bathurst when the last of the Walkinshaws raced,I watch it ocassionally but it's just not the same and without Brocky as well.Youngy 11 mate both the sedan and hatch are awesome cars in my book,I have a slight preference to the hatch at the moment cos I just bought one but I also have a nice sedan sitting in the backyard.I would go for any of these but like some of us said and you already know this that you need more than luck to find a nice hatch at an affordable price these days and things aren't going to get better only for the worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users