Tig Welder Settings

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hey guys, I bought a Tig welder a little while ago but only just got around to getting some 100% Argon and having a go at some aluminum. Had limited success just using the manual but thought id get some advice before I just get frustrated.

If someone could tell me some good settings to get me started thatd be great... Welding some 3mm thick alloy plate atm (well trying)

Posted Image

Switches
TIG/MMA :
AC/DC :
2T/4T :
Pulse :
Remote :

Knobs
Start A :
Welding A :
Background A :
Downslope :
Pulse Freq :
AC Freq :
Pulse Width :
Post Flow :
AC Balance :

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

http://www.mig-weldi...ig-tutorial.htm

#3 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

Couldnt really find the info im after in that link?

#4 RBTORY

RBTORY

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:lj 2 door / RB30ET

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

whats the extent of your knowledge do you need all this interpreted or just some i may be able to help
cheers Andrew

#5 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

I sort of know what they all mean, but just from reading the manual and a few YouTube vids but just want a list of what I should set each knob/switch to just to get me started and so I know it's just me that needs practice and not that ive just set the machine wrong.

Want it set for 3mm alloy and using the foot pedal to control the amps

Maybe also a alternative setup to use the trigger to start/stop it with a set amperage (no foot pedal)

#6 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

Hey guys, I bought a Tig welder a little while ago but only just got around to getting some 100% Argon and having a go at some aluminum. Had limited success just using the manual but thought id get some advice before I just get frustrated.

If someone could tell me some good settings to get me started thatd be great... Welding some 3mm thick alloy plate atm (well trying)

Posted Image

Switches
TIG/MMA :
AC/DC :
2T/4T :
Pulse :
Remote :

Knobs
Start A :? not sure what this is but could be ramp up
Welding A :amps when running arround 67-70 amps for 3 mm
Background A :? not sure what this is for but would surjest it could be for clean width set at 3 to start
Downslope :down slolp is the amont of time you want the current to slowly go down in sted of just stoping nomly 1/3 of how much you turn the amp dial
Pulse Freq :ac/dc
AC Freq :ac
Pulse Width :half turn of the amps dial
Post Flow :prefow of gas before amps start to surround the area with argon before welding about 1-2sec
AC Balance : 60/40 start point as each welder is differnt.

#7 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

Welding A : is you max amps
Background A : is your low voltage setting when used in pulse mode.
Pulse Freq : is how quickly it goes from Welding A to Background A.
AC Balance : How much AC it uses, AC is the "cleaning mode" for ally. The dirtier the material the more AC you use.

Switches
MMA Tig, fairly obvious, if you want to tig, goes on tig, if you want to arc weld onMMA
AC/DC ac for ally dc for mild steel
Squiggle line/ straight line is pulse/ no pulse.

Set it up and play is the best way to work out what things do. I would set you welding a and background a to the same to start as the pulse can be too much going on when your learning.

Edited by 1uzbt1, 26 July 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#8 _tomo123_

_tomo123_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

check this http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ website out i've found it pretty help full.

#9 _mervex_

_mervex_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

I will have a look at work tommorrow.i think we have same machine under bench somewhere.i will drag it out and set it up and post settings.We only use it on site for stainless.
mervex

#10 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

Thanks Mervex, that would be perfect... I got Evan doing the same thing for me hehe so will be good to see what you both come up with

#11 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hey Clint.

These are my settings on my TIG200P for laying runs down on 2mm alloy using pulse without a foot pedal. These days for all materials im all about the foot pedal.

Posted Image

These are my cheat notes that i took off weldingtipsandtricks.

Posted Image

This is how much i have my tungsten sticking out.

Posted Image

Some of my welds. The size of the caps can be changed by how much filler rod you dip in.

Its all about seat time, Just lots of practice. It get heaps harder when you have to join bits of alloy together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

Awesome man, can't wait to get back on it now... What settings do you change in order to use the foot pedal?

#13 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

i usually just up start and welding amps about 20.

flick it over to 2T and flick on the controller switch.

Ev.

#14 RBTORY

RBTORY

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:lj 2 door / RB30ET

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

As above, i second that, heaps of practice and playing with settings an joining bits becomes fun

#15 _mervex_

_mervex_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

EEERRRR sorry i can,t help much as some dick has dropped a die punch on tig torch and smashed the cable.Now if it was a 250 amp Miller tig i could help you.Are u using a 2.4mm white tipped tungsten??and maybe just 1.2 wire? Try heating a puddle untill it looks like it is going to collapse and then present the wire to the front of the puddle and let the wire just flow into the puddle and then quickly move about 4-5mm and repeat.
mervex

#16 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

Well had abit of a play this morning... This thread has been very helpful. Especially Evan. Managed to start laying some... ok... Runs, But alot better then I was doing before. I think now its just as you say.... seat time and getting my hands to move automatically without me actually thinking about it... I don't have steady hands at the best of times (I actually shake, have for as long as I remember) so its a little tricky to get them perfect but some runs it all seems to just fall in to place and off it goes by itself and ya know your doing a good one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Might have a go at some Joints later on.

How do you know when to regrind the tungsten? or do you only have to if ya overheat it or dip it into the puddle? they didnt seem to wear away much during normal use... just formed a ball on the end.

#17 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

Your tungsten should be back level with the shroud when welding ally.

It should also be sharpened to a radius not a point.When it has a nice shiny ball on the end (as you describe),you've got it right..

Looking at the end of your weld bead,I would increase the downslope time setting and also the postflow setting to stop that cratering.

When Im welding 3mm ally,I use a 2.5 tungsten and work around 100 amps,a bit more (110-120) for an inside fillet using a narrow arc width,or a bit less (90-100) doing an outside corner to corner weld using a wide arc width.

Experiment with the arc width on an outside corner to corner to see what happens when you alter it.

Narrow arc width focuses the arc a lot narrower and gives deeper penetration,wide arc with gives that nice broad radius on an outside corner.

#18 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

Nice work Clint. your certainly getting the hang of it!

I only usually change the tungsten if i dip it in the weld pool. Alloy can be forgiving but with carbon steel the arch turns to crap if you touch the steel with it.

wot179. cheers for the tips about tungsten position and down slope. i will give them a try.

cheers

Ev

#19 _tomo123_

_tomo123_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

wot 179
what settings do you adjust to change your arc width?

#20 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

AC frequency.

#21 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

Check this link out,I just found it and its great.

http://www.millerwel..._calculator.php

I think I'll be referring to it a bit more in the future,I think Ive been doing a few things a bit wrong after reading that lot.

#22 _tomo123_

_tomo123_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

AC frequency.

hows it work, as in it have more frequency this will achieve...

#23 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

I think less frequency gives narrow arc with deeper penetration,more frequency gives a wider arc and less penetration.

Do a few samples to see what happens.

#24 _tomo123_

_tomo123_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

no problems, thanks for your help wot179

#25 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

Well had my first attempt of making something with alloy today... A friend wanted a little carby hat for his 32/36 Weber so he could plumb up a cold air intake for now and turbo in the future.

Posted Image

Managed a few decent welds
Posted Image

Posted Image

Also a few shit ones
Posted Image

This one in particular, not sure why but all of a sudden it was like the puddle just didnt want to travel, and then all these black specs formed like there was some sort of contamination?

Posted Image

Because there was too many ugly welds I ground them flat and started to polish it up
Posted Image

Just need to get some 3" pipe from somewhere on monday and weld on the inlet.

Im not sure if just using bolts from top to bottom will seal, probly wont be a problem for the cold air intake but once he starts boosting it, it may leak? maybe just a dab of sealant under the bolt head... otherwise ill have to weld in a full length tube from top to bottom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users