Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

g'day everyone,

your properly sick to the back teeth of theese questions but i need some help (and not the sort with a padded room and a jacket). when i first started thinking of gearboxes a mate with a 454 was looking at a tremec 3550 tko sounded good manual 5 speed can handle lots of horse's, so i was looking at one of those. but now my indesicivness has come out swinging.

should i go a manulised powerglide, tremec, or aussie four speed.

engine is 308 stroked to 327(not sure) and i was thinking of a 9 inch with 4.11 gears for a bit of get up and go off the line.

ive got the aussie four, and a powerglide of a 208 (can they be beefed up to cope with a v8 or should i buy a v8 ready one?)

completly understand if no one replys but if you could give a bit of a jand would be very greatful.

cheers torrie tree

#2 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:53 AM

it depends on what you want to do with the car, is it for street use or drags, or both?

personally I'd use either a full manual powerglide or turbo 350 with about a 3500 rpm stall if you want to street and strip the car. :spoton:

if its just for street use and you want a manual then the tremec or a supra 5 speed is probably the best choice. The aussie 4 speed is a cheaper, but piss weak option that will not last long if the engine has got much poke.

#3 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

o yeah forgot about that, yeha the cars gonna be manly a tuff streeter but wouldnt mind doing abit of the 1/4 work

#4 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

I would forget about the aussie four speed, you could go a supra turbo, toploader, or super T10 if you wanted to stay manual.
or else I would suggest a T350.
whats your budget?

#5 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:44 PM

A supra or tremec would be a good way to go. I prefer a manual and you will enjoy it more. The powerglide is a 2 speed box (auto) so if you wish to rev the ring out of your engine and then drop into top that is your choice but not exactly my idea of fun.

Cheers

PS: with a 4.11 rear you will need at least three gears anyway.

#6 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

Hmm my budget. it all depends really. since my cars been at the paenl beaterssince before christmasand its not getting worked on sfa. i would say budget of around $3500 - $4000. at the most. at the extreme most

#7 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

Go the Tremec.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users