Q's re:fitment and legality of 13x7" mag on LC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:16 PM

I have a set of 13x7" jellybean mags and I'm just wondering firstly is it at all possible in anyones experience to fit these legally to the front and back of an LC

The front seems to protrude quite a lot (these rims currently dont have rubber) but the back looks like with rolling of the guards it might just fit. If it's not possible on the front would 6" of the same fit?

Next question is, what type of nuts are needed for these? there doesn't seem to be enough thread sticking out when the wheels are sitting on the stubs for the old nuts to fit ... and the holes seem to be a lot wider (as though they are to accomodate a nut that goes slightly beneath the surface of the mag if that makes sense).

I think I had another question ... I'll come back when I can remember what it is.

Cheers
-Al

#2 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

oh yeah, I think I recall.

The wheel arch as those with LC/LJ's know (prolly the same with most cars really) is furthest away from the center of the car at the top of the arch and as the arch ... arches down towards the ground it angles slightly in towards the center of the car ... does the tyre just have to be concealed by this topmost point? or by the entire arch? If that makes sense ... awesome

Cheers
-Al

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

In VIC, all parts of the wheel and tyre assembly need to be covered by the guard. Hotrods apparently have other rules.

#4 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:59 PM

most mags as far as i konw have the nuts that go inside the rim so they have more purchase on the thread

#5 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

as long as the wheels dont protrude fron the widest part of the guard you are fine. so if they fit inside the top you are fine

#6 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:41 PM

Chopper: Covered by the guards ... is this open to interpretation by who ever is inspecting at the time? or is it fairly definitive?

Torrietree: sweet, I was kinda scared that they were wrong for the stub on the car, as I'm used to those cone shaped ones from the LC/LJ ...

Makka: so that means on this picture below it would be able to come out to about where the red line is on both front and back (when the wheels are pointing forward for front) [edit:as some vic roads guy was saying it had to be behind the guard all the way around (albeit probably didn't completely understand my description over the phone)]

Posted Image

Cheers everyone

-Al

Edited by LC2250, 23 May 2006 - 02:44 PM.

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:15 PM

#1 Chopper: Covered by the guards ... is this open to interpretation by who ever is inspecting at the time? or is it fairly definitive?

#2 So that means on this picture below it would be able to come out to about where the red line is on both front and back?

http://www.vicroads....dsafe/VSI 8.pdf

#1 Page 4: " the guard or bodywork of the vehicle must cover the section width of the tyre. "

It only mentions section width. It doesn't mention the rim. So in theory, a rim with a concave centre that protrudes outside the guard or bodywork may be legal.

#2 That would be my interpretation.

However due to the wording, if you have a front end set up with 4.5 degrees of negative camber ( like I did on my LX ) so the top of the tyre is inside the guard and the botom extends past the bodywork, that may be legal.

Please remember Rule #1.

A policeman may issue a defect on a vehicle if it is unroadworthy IN THE POLICEMANS OPINION.

#8 _RCK-914_

_RCK-914_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:59 PM

In S.A they measure the distance between the centre of each tyre to tell if the tyres are over tracking, I think it's to do with the off set of the rim, a few years back i got pulled up by the local copper about my rear tyres on a HZ, they where 245 yokies on a deep dish 8 inch rim and did'nt stick out past the wheel arch but when he measured them they were over tracking I got a defect because of it and I had to hold the measuring tape for him

Cheers Chris

#9 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:03 PM

Track measurement is different to what I was posting about. You can replace the stock 5.5" wide rims with 14" wide rims and not go overtrack with the correct offset. However, the overtrack thing varies from state to state. On a VIC registered Tory, it's +1" front, +2" rear.

#10 _LC2250_

_LC2250_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

never thanked ya Chopper ... I'm going ahead with the wheels ... happy with the clarification.

Cheers
-Al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users