Alternators

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _wildsix_

_wildsix_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

Is the red 6 alternator the same as the red v8 one?
Physically that is, I know you cam get differant amps.

#2 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:55 PM

I bought an 80amp alt several years ago that was put on my 202,it is now on my 304,it bolts straight up.Early alternators are 55amp but ones off a vn-vs are 85amp I think.A little off topic,Im not sure what vk efi alt amperage is or even if it bolts up the same,maybe someone can answer that question lol?

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:37 PM

Earlier alternators are 35amps(we are talking toranas here?)40A for a UC, 55amp alternators were only supplied on fact aircon models. The v8 would run the same setup, there is no significant extra load created by slightly more sparks per second.
If you are only running ~15-20A of electric fans a 55 Alternator should be fine.
One has to take into consideration that alternator output at idle is not at this rating.
The alternator should have its rating stamped on it if it is a Bosch.
55A20 means 55A at ~3000rpm and 20A at ~750rpm

Edited by devilsadvocate, 22 May 2006 - 11:42 PM.

#4 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

Stay away from the VK EFI (and EST??) alternators - they were Hitachi, and nowhere near as reliable as the Bosch units. Pick of the bunch for 'normal' electrical loads is the VN onwards 85 amp unit. The V8 one bolts straight on, and the 6 cylinder one only needs the pulley and fan changed over. They also have a sense wire from the regulator on the back of the alternator (orange??), which can be run back to the battery to sense battery charging voltage at the battery +ve terminal, rather than at the alternator output terminal like earlier alternators.

DA, I thought some early Holdens had a higher output alternator specified without necessarily having A/C, but I could be wrong.

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:44 PM

Dont know for sure ^, but cant think of why they would have offered a higher output alternator if there was no more electrics supplied with the car.
Rear window demister was standard on UC, which draws about 10A, but still only 40A alternator.
Aircon models had the auxilary cooling fan, (not sure this applied to LH), + the high output blower fan, ~ additional 17-18A.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 25 May 2006 - 07:46 PM.

#6 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

LC parts manual lists a different part number for XU-1's, and this was before the time of the larger alternator pulley, so I'd assume it would be a 'bigger' alternator.

LX parts manual lists a 'heavy duty' alternator as an option in bopth 6s and 8s, either with or without A/C (same part number for both options).

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

Interesting stuff dangerous. Was the heavy duty alternator only added at the HX/LX model and an option on the HX too?

just speculating as to why:
LC xU1, perhaps popular to rally them and run a bank of driving lights?
HX/LX as they had organised the supply of the alternators for the aircon models, 1st of which had aux cooling fan?, it was easy to offer it as a possible option......which of course GM could make money out of?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users