lx ss front brakes seized up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:15 PM

hi all
has anyone else ever experienced the front brakes on their toranas locking up / seizing. You physically cannot turn the wheel using your arms but you can drive against to move the car small distances. Im pretty sure its not the pistons that are seized as ive pulled them apart and pushed the piston back in, but i think its the parallel bolts/shafts that the brakes slide on and are mounted on that may be getting sticky and causing my dramas.

Any ideas or experiences, and what is the best lubricant for these shafts?

cheers julian

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

Don't waste your time trying to find the one ( or more ) thing causing the problem. Remove both calipers and put overhaul kits through them both. Check for bent and worn components. If in doubt, replace it. Use plenty of rubber grease. If you can't do it yourself, take it to somebody who can.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:52 PM

One wheel or both? Could be master and/or booster related or insufficient pushrod clearance.

#4 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:17 PM

it might be an excuse to upgrade to some better brakes, otherwise put a kit through them

#5 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

I had one seize on me. The the alloy ones out of the LX or early UC, got them rebuilt but they still draged. On advice I got the cast iron LH ones and never had a problem again. So just replace the caliper or calipers they will probably just keep giving you trouble.

#6 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:34 PM

hi all, thanks for your replies and concerns.

Its both fronts, but the car has been sitting for a long, long time.
I rebuilt the drums with new pads and cylinders, and placed new pads in the front a while back, ( drums or discs not scored and didnt need machining )

Im just about to swap motors ( 253 to 308 stroker ) but you try and move a car with siezed brakes and no motor, the trolley jack has certainly got a workout.

I checked tonight and its actually the guides where the brake pads slide, that are tad rusty. Gave the pads a light tap, and the wheels spun fine, but before that there was no chance in hell of spinning them except, actually by driving the car.

I bought some special brake guide lubricant for these kind of guides from supacheap this arvo, and will clean them up with a wire brush, and grease them tomorrow arvo. Its only a temp thing as after its registered i want to swap the hq stubs and diff from my other lh torana, and mod that car to castlemaine drop spindles and commodore rear pattern diff.

cheers julian

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

Can't think of the name of the stuff, but it's in a red bottle and it works well for that kind of thing.

#8 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:26 AM

the stuff i bought is green and in 2 small sachets ( cost me $10 ), must be high temp, silicon based maybe, as you do not want this stuff melting and smearing over your discs and pads.

cheers julian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users