Need new Exhaust for Turbo 202

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:07 AM

I want to replace the exhaust i currentlu have, for a couple of reasons,
1 is I cut the exhaust off with a grinder just before the diff so it could be changed.
2 is one of the mufflers has a huge dent in it, which i dont like the look of
3 I want something a little quieter (without losing any power)
4 If possible, something which will give me a power increase.

The exhaust in now is 2.5" piping, but 3" muffler. (only 1 muffler, towards the rear of the car).

As its turbo, it has the Strata 2 exhaust manifold which isnt all that great, but im not changing that, so the exhaust will be from the downpipe flange, back.

So what will be the best exhaust set-up (Size, muffler/s, resonator) for Power. Sound is not really an issue, mainly power. Although i would like a quieter exhaust.
I will ask them to put in a flange before the diff, so i dont have to cut the exhaust again.
Also, i do like the look of dual exhaust, if i got them to put a Y-split just after the diff flange, would that effect power or sound?

Quick run down of the car. 4 door LX, 202 (with 173 head i believe). Strata 2 Turbo Kit with t04 turbo. Water injection. Celica 5 spd. As i bought the car turbo'd already, i dont have any idea on internal engine mods (if any).

Thanks
Mike

#2 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:02 AM

What prics range are you looking at? My old man is an exhaust reparier/custom exhaust fabricator here on the coast (i do a bit of work with him), i'll ask him what he thinks but its hard to say whats best without seeing the car, but im sure someone local could do the work for you. So i think the question is does anyone know of a good trustworthy exhaust shop in the Wollongong area??
Cheers, Chris :rockon:

#3 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:09 PM

Im very happy with the work Oak Flats Muffler Men do. I will go to them.
Not sure on a price range yet, But i did get an exhaust a while back on a different car which was similar, and it split to dual Cannon Mufflers, that was $550. Which i thought was quite good, considering the cost of the cannons.

So minus the dual cannons it should be a bit cheaper.

#4 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

go and see my mate craig at VARIFLOW EXHAUST TECHNOLOGIES.
his work will surpass your wildest expectations.
and if you tell him that i (leigh) sent you he will look after you.

btw he is cousins with the bloke who engineered your car.
he is in unanderra,look it up in the phonebook

#5 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:40 PM

Imho either a full single 3" from turbo (would need side exit ) or 3" from turbo going into dual 2.25" (2.5"+ are tough to provide good rear axle clearance)

#6 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:30 PM

the rule is turbine outlet size +25%

#7 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:04 PM

Thanks jap, will go see him when i decide to get it done.

Ill be getting the exhaust under the diff, so clearance shouldnt matter that much.

Thanks for the info

#8 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:57 PM

Definitely straight through 3" system with one muffler on the rear.

I got mine made for my LJ from my already made 3" dump pipe, it cost $350 or so with 3" mild steel, Lukey straight through muffler and 3" dumper tip. It went under the diff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users