Driving with Roll cage on the street...options?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _m7hs_

_m7hs_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

Hey guys new to the forum and well impressed with the amount of detail. Will be starting project soon and will post soon on developments. I have attached a teaser for now. I have a lh torana that was orginally set up for drag which is fitted with an ANDRA approve 6pt roll cage. I want to know what are the rules with roll cages on the road and questioning if I can keep it installed. I have heard in part it is ok to leave to roll cage in, but have to remove the side intrusion bar on the driver side door (something to do with using the jaws of life). Moving on also heard if I want to use the back seat the roll cage has to be padded.

Have a heard a lot of second hand info and just want to know how I go about keeping the roll cage in on the street and using the back.

Regards

Michael

#2 _m7hs_

_m7hs_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

dont know why photo didnt attach.

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

You will probably find to be legal in WA its can't have intrusion bars
Must be padded
And you can no longer carry rear seat passengers

Best get it clarified with rego

I'm sure Andy will refer you to a similar thread recently and show you the NCOP page relating to cages
So that info will help
But you need to get the OK from the Dept regardless of what we say

#4 _mumbo_

_mumbo_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

Half cage only no back seat and no side intrusion bar on the street and ANDRA will let you do 10s with a half cage and bolt in intrusion.
So if your in WA and your car is quicker than 10s you are screwed.

#5 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

Don't look to me for info.

I currently have an unregistered race car, was a log booked , a class registered car on CAMS rally plates.

The whole system is screwed with the department of transport, the pits , cams, and the police all having their own interpretration of their own recent agreement in regards to abolishing the old b class system.

Farknows.

but best wishes all the same

#6 _m7hs_

_m7hs_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

Half cage only no back seat and no side intrusion bar on the street and ANDRA will let you do 10s with a half cage and bolt in intrusion.

Yeah there's a sweet spot from 11 - 10's car, you can have bolt in side intrusion.

The car is registered and has the cage installed, but basically your saying if i want passengers in the back seat, I have to go half cage? Does that include removing the taxi bar?

Probably best i get the fine print from rego mob so I am not court out.

#7 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:35 PM

In WA under the NCOP there are different rules for individually built cages, aftermarket cages and ROPS.

The individually built cage rules start on page 41 of the NCOP7 Section_LK_Seating_and_Occupant_Protection_1Jan2011_v2.pdf

Six-point roll-cages that have supports running down the A pillars and B pillars, and braces running to the rear are not acceptable for normal road use.

A four point cage or four point cage that converts to a six point at the track can be approved however it can only be driven on the street in the four point configuration.

The main stumbling block for the Torana would be the head space requirements for the rear passengers on pg 43.

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

I would leave it in and see what happens when you go over the pits. Worst case senario they will order it out.

#9 _m7hs_

_m7hs_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

i dont need to go over the pits. the car is registered already.

Ls2 cheers for the info. I will have a read.

Thanks all for your help.

#10 _mumbo_

_mumbo_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

Yeah there's a sweet spot from 11 - 10's car, you can have bolt in side intrusion.

The car is registered and has the cage installed, but basically your saying if i want passengers in the back seat, I have to go half cage? Does that include removing the taxi bar?

No if you have a half cage you need to remove rear seat and be licenced as a 2 seater.

#11 _m7hs_

_m7hs_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

No if you have a half cage you need to remove rear seat and be licenced as a 2 seater.

Mumbo

getting really confused here. So there is no way I can make this car a 5 seater unless i remove all of the cage, is that what you are saying?

#12 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:15 PM

The passenger head clearance requirements are in the NCOP document pg 43.

If you can not build a cage in the Torana with the required head clearance for passengers then you can not have passengers.

#13 _mumbo_

_mumbo_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

Mumbo

getting really confused here. So there is no way I can make this car a 5 seater unless i remove all of the cage, is that what you are saying?

Thats it with normal rego no cage if you want to use back seat.
I dont know the rules when it comes to B grade rego but i do think you have to have a CAMS licence and i dont think they would let you have a back seat either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users