ss dash removal

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _timbo_hatch_

_timbo_hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

geday guys.
Just started pulling the dash out of the ss.
Can't quite work out how the main part of the dash comes out.
I don't want to pull it too hard as i will break it.
Are there any screws holding it in from behind?
It feels as though the passenger side it free, but something is holding it in from the drivers side.
Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Timbo

#2 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:06 PM

A common problem is forgetting to remove the speedo cable. This is important as the instrument cluster is screwed onto the back of the instrument panel.

#3 _timbo_hatch_

_timbo_hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

nah. the speedo cable has been removed, and the cluster has been pulled out.
still unsure

#4 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:26 PM

Try loosing the crash pad screws. The dash facia sits under this and can hold it on.

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:00 PM

Agree with ^ dash pad can hold it on.

Alternatively try lifting the dash and getting the bottom out first, then the top should drop down enough and slide out till you hit the steering wheel. For the next few minutes you'll look like an un-co while you try manoeuvre it around the steering wheel.

#6 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:38 AM

Easiest way I find is to remove the steering wheel - or drop the column and support it for starters. Remove the seven screws under the dashpad, there's quite a few holding the dash fascia in place:
Two next to the glovebox lid (need to open the glovebox to access),
Two behind the ashtray
Two for the heater controls (bolts),
Two on either side of the dash itself,
Then theres 5 or so screws underneath the lower dash that need removing...

You may find it easy to slide off the lower air ducts too.

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:43 PM

I've never had any problems with the steering column/wheel and I've done it a number of times. Are you trying to get out the dash fascia or the lower panel?

I had complications with the choke and so on, on the lower panel but you won't have that in an SS. Make sure you've removed the screws on the side of the dash too.

If you can show us on a photo where it's not giving then I can probably tell you what the problem is.

#8 _timbo_hatch_

_timbo_hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:38 AM

I do have a choke on the lower panel, as it was originally a 202. I can't recall undoing any bolts for the heater controls. Thats probably my problem.
Cheers.. Timbo

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:09 PM

Ooops, this has wandered off topic a bit. Are you talking the main fascia panel, i.e. the one that runs across to the glove box? The lower fascia has nothing to do with removing the main panel.

The steering wheel in the way is not a huge issue, even if you dropped the steering wheel as suggested, it would still be in the way. Just work around it.

Sorry, can just see problems happening here (i.e. breakages).

Edited by Yella SLuR, 05 December 2005 - 02:10 PM.

#10 _timbo_hatch_

_timbo_hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:13 PM

sorry guys. Just to clarify, I am trying to take off panel with headlights, heater, chocke, wipers etc.

#11 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:30 PM

Yeah i had a bit of a problem here as well, my heater vent knobs had to come off, just a allen key on the underside of the knobs, make sure all the plates from behind the knobs come off as well, could be your problem, there is nothing that holds this bit on from the back either, just to clarify that point

#12 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:07 PM

Bet you struggle with the Headlight switch, get underneath the dash. Theres a little springloaded button, Depress that and pull the hole knob and shaft out.Now you can get the threaded round retainer off.

#13 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:12 PM

Another Good Point ^^ Took me ages to work that out as well haha!

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:09 PM

A wrecker gave me a hand the first time I was doing it. There's a little spring loaded button underneath the healdlight thing (without the dash in your headlights are permanently on so disconnect your battery)

IF you have problems with the Choke cable coming out, and it ain't just one of those simple twist ones that seem to be the original, there MAY be a nut on the inside of the dash, if that's the case, get a small mirror and stick it to the upper firewall sorta region, whichever shows you the best, get a SMALL torch and hold that and grab a small shifter, stick it all in through where the instrument panel would usually be and watch yourself undo the nut through the mirror. Note: this is a pain in the arse but it's the best/only way to get it out. Then you disconnect the choke cable from the carb and pull the HOLE thing through... then you can remove the lower panel of the dash. Remember to pull it up and out so it clears the steering column and make sure it's not stuck in the vents or anything, just do it easily.

If you have any troubles finding the problem, just pull it at the sides and see where it bends out, where it's hard against the metal then that's where the problem will be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users