Front Suspension Problem LC GTR

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

Today l fitted my new Stubtech drop stubs. They fitted up perfect but l have a problem. My drivers side is lower than my passenger. I purchased the car with the front suspension already put back after rebuild. So l have done nothing other than putting a few shims in. So no doubt the front end is all out of line. I have noted in other threads that l need to do castor and camber adjustments etc via shims but l can't understand why one side sits higher than the other. In the photos l still have the jack supporting the car as l can't go any lower. So you can see the difference between both sides. The drivers side front guard is sitting on the wheel and the passenger side is still at least 10 to 15 mm away from the tyre. I am assuming that the drivers side tyre that sits out much further is camber via needing more shims as per photos.

So please help. l have no idea what l am doing and need all the advice l can get.

Attached Files

• Attached File  84.JPG   213.44K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  85.JPG   187.37K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  83.JPG   208.49K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  82.JPG   194.76K   3 downloads

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Today l fitted my new Stubtech drop stubs. They fitted up perfect but l have a problem. My drivers side is lower than my passenger. I purchased the car with the front suspension already put back after rebuild. So l have done nothing other than putting a few shims in. So no doubt the front end is all out of line. I have noted in other threads that l need to do castor and camber adjustments etc via shims but l can't understand why one side sits higher than the other. In the photos l still have the jack supporting the car as l can't go any lower. So you can see the difference between both sides. The drivers side front guard is sitting on the wheel and the passenger side is still at least 10 to 15 mm away from the tyre. I am assuming that the drivers side tyre that sits out much further is camber via needing more shims as per photos.

So please help. l have no idea what l am doing and need all the advice l can get.

Hi Macka

Way too much positive camber on the drivers side wheel. Fit some more shims on the upper control arm bolts until you get the wheel leaning in slightly (towards the centre of the car) at the top. You will need to get the alignment professionally done.

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

I think the problem may be the springs are not seated properly. On the LH-UC, the front springs locate at the top and bottom. It may mean the springs come out, but that's what I'd be checking first.

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

I think the problem may be the springs are not seated properly. On the LH-UC, the front springs locate at the top and bottom. It may mean the springs come out, but that's what I'd be checking first.

Ah ok Chopper, just read the thread again.
First I would fit extra camber shims to pull the top of the drivers side wheel in away from the guard so you can hopefully remove the jack.
Could be the passenger side spring isn't seated properly and holding that side up higher than the drivers side.
I'd check both springs to see if they are sitting correctly on their lower control arms.
Another possibility could be the springs aren't a matching pair or one has sagged.
Also check the crossmember to chassis rail mounting bolts and insulators to make sure there are no problems with them.

#5 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

If it was level before the drop stubs then my money is on the springs not being located properly , it can be difficult on some Holdens to locate these in the top mount properly without the aid of the correct spring compressor and worse with standard height springs. A keen eye torch and a mirror may be needed to check this .

#6 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

It has actually been like this since I first purchased it so I think it is just incorrectly located now. Thank you everyone for advice. For someone who has no idea this forum is brilliant for information.

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

If it was level before the drop stubs then my money is on the springs not being located properly , it can be difficult on some Holdens to locate these in the top mount properly without the aid of the correct spring compressor and worse with standard height springs. A keen eye torch and a mirror may be needed to check this .

Long time since I had my front springs out but as far as I can remember the LC/LJ front springs aren't indexed at the top in the suspension tower, only at the bottom on the lower control arm.

Edited by S pack, 24 September 2011 - 10:23 PM.

#8 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

<br />

<br />If it was level before the drop stubs then my money is on the springs not being located properly , it can be difficult on some Holdens to locate these in the top mount properly without the aid of the correct spring compressor and worse with standard height springs. A keen eye torch and a mirror may be needed to check this .<br />

<br /><br />Long time since I had my front springs out but as far as I can remember the LC/LJ front springs aren't indexed at the top in the suspension tower, only at the bottom on the lower control arm.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Ok had a look this morning. Can someone tell me when you look from front of car whether the left and right lower control arms should be a reverse of each other?? What I am trying to say is that the drivers side spring finishes with the spring at the rear whereas the passenger side it finishes at the front. From looking at both the lower control arms this is where they both should fit. So is that right?? Or potentially do l have say a drivers side lower control arm on both sides of crossmember if that is possible?? To try and clarify further when l look at the front of the drivers side lower control arm it looks the same as the rear of the passenger side one and vise versa.

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

Na thats how mine is, just had a look.

Pretty sure LC/LJ LCA's are identical, ie swappable left to right.

Cheers.

#10 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Bomber.

#11 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

Another question. Do the front springs have to go in a certain way? When l look at the drivers side the writing on the spring is the right way up however on the passenger side it is upside down??

#12 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

<br />

<br />If it was level before the drop stubs then my money is on the springs not being located properly , it can be difficult on some Holdens to locate these in the top mount properly without the aid of the correct spring compressor and worse with standard height springs. A keen eye torch and a mirror may be needed to check this .<br />

<br /><br />Long time since I had my front springs out but as far as I can remember the LC/LJ front springs aren't indexed at the top in the suspension tower, only at the bottom on the lower control arm.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Ok had a look this morning. Can someone tell me when you look from front of car whether the left and right lower control arms should be a reverse of each other?? What I am trying to say is that the drivers side spring finishes with the spring at the rear whereas the passenger side it finishes at the front. From looking at both the lower control arms this is where they both should fit. So is that right?? Or potentially do l have say a drivers side lower control arm on both sides of crossmember if that is possible?? To try and clarify further when l look at the front of the drivers side lower control arm it looks the same as the rear of the passenger side one and vise versa.

All good Macka, no problems there, the left and right LCA's are the same/identical, you can fit them to either side of the car.

#13 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Ok but do they have a top and a bottom?

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

Ok but do they have a top and a bottom?

Funny you should ask that, yes they do.
In the following pic you can see a NOS LC XU1 front spring (top of pic) and a used Pedders 1" lowered H/Duty spring.
The left hand end of both springs are the top and the right hand end is the bottom.
The end tip of the coil at the top of the spring sits closer to the next coil when compared to the bottom of the spring.
I sat the Pedders spring onto a LCA and found there is a free height difference of 6mm (higher) if you install the spring upside down.
However when installed and at kerb weight the difference will probably be negligible.

Posted Image

#15 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

G/day Macka
The springs are the same top and bottom,so there is no wrong way they go in,as long as the fit up into the tower at the top,there is a lip that locates them,and the cut end is located into the lower wishbone [ you will see a indentation were the cut end of the coil is supposed to sit ]

Hope that all makes sense ??

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

Another thing to check, do both LCA's look to have the same profile along the underside of the arm when viewed from the front. Or does one look to be bent up (drivers side LCA) at the ball joint. A bent LCA would make the car sit a bit lower on one side.

These are probably stupid questions but, is the concrete slab in your shed nice and level in all directions?
Did you tension up the suspension bush bolts before you lowered the car onto the ground?

#17 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

Another thing to check, do both LCA's look to have the same profile along the underside of the arm when viewed from the front. Or does one look to be bent up (drivers side LCA) at the ball joint. A bent LCA would make the car sit a bit lower on one side.

These are probably stupid questions but, is the concrete slab in your shed nice and level in all directions?
Did you tension up the suspension bush bolts before you lowered the car onto the ground?

OK frustrated at this time!! It doesnt appear to be bent. However with the jack underneath crossmember there is no doubt the drivers side LCA hangs down lower. Yep slab etc is all good in shed. I tensioned up all suspension bolts and still is the same. Also put more shims in drivers side and the top of tyre has come in so that is good. However the passenger side bottom of the spring is not sitting in the divet exactly. It is on the LCA a bit where it starts to go back up and this may be an issue. Another thing is that l have "lowered" front King springs in and with the drop stubs it says l need to go back to standard. However l cant see that this is an issue as to why one side is higher than the other. So l will order tomorrow and put the new standard height springs in this week and make sure it all lines up where they should be and see what happens. Fingers crossed this fixes problem but l am not confident. Something just doesn't seem right. Thanks for help and ideas so far.

Attached Files

• Attached File  88.JPG   186.23K   6 downloads

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

However the passenger side bottom of the spring is not sitting in the divet exactly. It is on the LCA a bit where it starts to go back up and this may be an issue.

Post a pic before doing anything else. If it's only slightly out of place, it might not make much difference. If it's enough out, it could well be the cause. No point doing anything ( especially spending money ) if it won't help.

#19 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

Thanks Chopper. However I need to buy the standard height springs as you can't run lowered springs with drop stubs. I was always aware of this but it still doesn't make sense as to why the drivers side is lower when you drop it down using the jack. I haven't as yet got it all the way down and there is a fair bit to go so will definitely need standard springs. Will see what happens and go from there. Thanks Macka

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

If its to low your to old???

No wait that applies to the rear, yep, put stockies in the front hehe.

#21 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi Macka

How does the back sit? Is the rear of the car level?

Front of my LC sits at 8 mm difference, passenger side higher than drivers side.

This is same with standard springs, Pedders or Lovells in the front.

I sometimes think its the way the car has been made, it doesn't bother me too much anymore

Regards Simon

Edited by debkar, 25 September 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#22 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

The rear sits perfectly. It will be lower shortly as rear springs being reset this week 1 1/4 inches lower. If I can't fix front l might have to reset the passenger side front spring to drop it down??

#23 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

The rear sits perfectly. It will be lower shortly as rear springs being reset this week 1 1/4 inches lower. If I can't fix front l might have to reset the passenger side front spring to drop it down??

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:40 PM

Hey Macka

Can you post up some close up pics of both LCA's. Looking at your pic of the whole crossmember the drivers side arm just doesn't look right or maybe its just my eyesight getting worse.

Cheers
Dave.

#25 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

Long time since I had my front springs out but as far as I can remember the LC/LJ front springs aren't indexed at the top in the suspension tower, only at the bottom on the lower control arm.

You could be right . I have not done a set of lc-lj springs for some time but this is the case on lh-uc and hq-wb 's . They have a lip that sits on the inside diameter of the top of the coil spring and if not located in there properly can cause uneven heights or the spring rubs on the x-member.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users