S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

Long time since I had my front springs out but as far as I can remember the LC/LJ front springs aren't indexed at the top in the suspension tower, only at the bottom on the lower control arm.

You could be right . I have not done a set of lc-lj springs for some time but this is the case on lh-uc and hq-wb 's . They have a lip that sits on the inside diameter of the top of the coil spring and if not located in there properly can cause uneven heights or the spring rubs on the x-member.

Bit of a misunderstanding on my part there Rob.
The LC/LJ spring tower has a lip that protrudes down into the centre of the spring just like the other Holden's. What I was referring to was a recess in the seat that the end of the coil must align with, just like you find on a lower control arm. Does that make sense?

Cheers
Dave

#27 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

ah, yep i know what you mean. All too often i have seen people fit the spring crooked in thier attempt to at getting the spring in the lower seat so it is sitting on top of this lip

#28 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

I had a quick read but couldn't see if this had been mentioned yet. Have you had the springs out and sat them alongside each other to compare heights.

Cheers Dave

#29 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

I reckon the ball joint in the drivers side LCA appears to be sitting at an unusual angle in comparison to the ball joint in the passenger side LCA.
I'm thinking the ball joint end of the drivers side LCA is bent up which is causing the drivers side of the chassis to sit lower.
Does anyone else see this or am I just seeing some sort of illusion because of camera angle or lighting or something?

http://www.gmh-toran...-1316940681.jpg

#30 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

The lower control arm(think that's what its called) on the right hand side in the pic is upside down.

The wishbone thingy's are opposite to each other.

Posted Image

The one on the left has the straighter edge at the top, the one on the right has it at the bottom.

Could be the pic or I could be an idiot, but that seems to be the problem to me.

Edited by Potta, 26 September 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#31 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:35 PM

The lower control arm(think that's what its called) on the right hand side in the pic is upside down.

The wishbone thingy's are opposite to each other.

Posted Image

The one on the left has the straighter edge at the top, the one on the right has it at the bottom.

Could be the pic or I could be an idiot, but that seems to be the problem to me.

Hey Potta

What you are describing about the LCA's is normal on an LC/LJ. Because the LC/LJ uses one lower control arm that fits both sides what you are actually seeing is the different sides of the same part. Have a look at your own Torana and you'll see it looks the same.

Cheers
Dave.

#32 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

I'll check but I'm not convinced.

The profile looks different, and the right hand side has the lip at the bottom, the left hand side has it at the top.

It could just be the pic, and I have to admit, it's been quite a while since I've been under the front of a torrie, so I'll believe you for now.Posted Image

#33 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

OK everyone thanks for input. I think we have identified the problem as you guys picked up in photos and l couldnt looking at it in real life. There is no doubt the drivers side lower control arm at the end kicks up compared to the passenger side. So guess what? I need a lower control arm ASAP. Was also thinkng l should get a top control arm in case it is bent also. Thoughts? Also do you think this will be only problem and should solve it all?

SO CAN ANYONE HELP ME AS I REALLY NEED ONE QUICKLY?

Attached Files

• Attached File  89.JPG   217.66K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  90.JPG   206.68K   5 downloads
  • Attached File  91.JPG   224.03K   2 downloads

Edited by Macka, 26 September 2011 - 08:45 PM.

#34 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

I am still not convinced this is my only problem?? See the photo's below. I have shimmed the drivers side with about 15-20 mm where as the passenger side has about 10-12mm. When you look front on at the drivers side tyre it sticks out a long way compared to the passenger. No doubt the bent up lower control arm would push the top of the tyre out but it seems the entire wheel sits much further out than the passenger????

Attached Files

• Attached File  95.JPG   187.33K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  96.JPG   200.19K   0 downloads

#35 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:09 PM

G/day Macka

That is a pretty bad bend in your LCA, worse than I originally though it might be.
I wouldn't expect you'd need a new upper arm as it isn't subjected to the same forces as the lower arm.
I would just replace the bent arm (or it may be possible to get it straightened) and see how it goes. Looking at your pic the bottom of your drivers side wheel is going to come out a fair bit with a straight LCA and this will enable you to remove some upper arm shims.

Also replacing the bent LCA will affect your toe in setting on the steering rack tie rods. Maybe the drivers side tyre seems to stick out more at the front because you have actually got toe out instead of toe in.

BTW, personally I would throw those blue urethane lower bump stops and get rubber ones. The rubber bump will be a bit softer and won't transfer as much sudden shock to the ball joint area of the control arm if the suspension bottoms out. If that makes sense.

Cheers
Dave.

Edited by S pack, 26 September 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#36 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

Dave you are right about the toe out now l look at it.��Hopefully I have got onto another LCA arm from forum member so will fit up with new standard height front springs and fingers crossed all my problems are sorted and l can continue on with finishing off build.��Not far away now.��Thanks Dave for your help and also to everyone else it is greatly appreciated. Will post up results when all fitted back up.Cheers Macka

Edited by Macka, 26 September 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#37 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

Dave you are right about the toe out now l look at it. Hopefully I have got onto another LCA arm from forum member so will fit up with new standard height front springs and fingers crossed all my problems are sorted and l can continue on with finishing off build. Not far away now. Thanks Dave for your help and also to everyone else it is greatly appreciated. Will post up results when all fitted back up.Cheers Macka

Sounds good mate, hope it all goes well.
BTW, love your GTR, she's looking really schmick.

Cheers
Dave.

#38 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

The bent LCA is causing the camber issue. As the bent arm is effectively shorter, it pulls the bottm in and therefore pushes the top out.

NEVER attempt to straighten control arms, it's virtually imposible to get it right. Then there is the possibility of metal fatigue. Bending early model ( VB-VP ) Commodore front struts was common practice, but the bend was normally only about 1/2 a degree. The LCA in the image needs a much bigger bend.

#39 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

<br />The bent LCA is causing the camber issue. As the bent arm is effectively shorter, it pulls the bottm in and therefore pushes the top out.<br /><br />NEVER attempt to straighten control arms, it's virtually imposible to get it right. Then there is the possibility of metal fatigue. Bending early model ( VB-VP ) Commodore front struts was common practice, but the bend was normally only about 1/2 a degree. The LCA in the image needs a much bigger bend.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for advice Chopper. I have located one and will collect on Friday. All going well will fit up over weekend and hopefully issue all sorted.

#40 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

And make sure the springs are located properly. :D

#41 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

OK pulled spring etc out in preparation of putting on new lower control arm and standard height springs to go with 2" drop stubs. Just thought l would check if my upper control arm looks ok and is not bent also. No doubt it runs on an angle but i am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be or not? Can anyone tell me if it looks ok?

Attached Files

• Attached File  97.JPG   203.95K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  98.JPG   200.18K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  99.JPG   190.14K   0 downloads

#42 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

How about a shot of the other side?

#43 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

<br />How about a shot of the other side?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Good point Chopper. Will have to do tomorrow night.

#44 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

Id be tempted to replace it just in case. That lower arm has copped a decent whack, so id expect the top one would have taken a hit too.

Are droptech stubs still $700 odd a pair?

#45 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

<br />Id be tempted to replace it just in case. That lower arm has copped a decent whack, so id expect the top one would have taken a hit too.<br /><br />Are droptech stubs still $700 odd a pair?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Yes I am thinking that also. Yep paid $700. Really had no other option. Was going to cut down spring as discussed with you but then realized I only had about 1 inch between bump stop so I would have been basically sitting on it. Glad i have done it now but actually still don't know if it will sit where I want it until l get it all back together this weekend. If I still need it lower with the standard height springs back in l will get them reset at Brown Springworks. I am thinking if I need to it will only be 5-15mm. Will post picks Sunday night when back together. Just got the rears back today after having them reset an inch and a quarter lower. Cost $60 for 2 springs and they turned them around in the post in one day.

#46 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

Very annoyed. Got new lower control arm on today and whilst it helped it still wasn't right. Then did a comparison of the top control arm with the passenger side and guess what. Yep it is twisted up to the shit house. So now I have to replace it. Now from reading the manual l realize I have to drop the front crossmember out of the car to change this one over. Aarrrrgggghhhhh.

#47 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

Very annoyed. Got new lower control arm on today and whilst it helped it still wasn't right. Then did a comparison of the top control arm with the passenger side and guess what. Yep it is twisted up to the shit house. So now I have to replace it. Now from reading the manual l realize I have to drop the front crossmember out of the car to change this one over. Aarrrrgggghhhhh.

G/day Macka

You don't have to drop the crossmember out completely, just lower it enough to get the arm pivot shaft between the chassis rail and the crossmember tower.

#48 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:33 PM

I have had enough. Just finished putting new upper and lower control arms in car and guess what. Did not make one bit of difference. The drivers side tyre is still sitting 1.5 to 2cm outside the top of the guard. I don't know what to do now. Is it possible my entire front crossmember is just out of line and bent and I need to source a new one?

#49 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Here are some photos

Attached Files

#50 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

Geez mate I feel for you, not having much luck ATM.

If the crossmember bolts up easily enough then it is probably OK.

Maybe a really stupid thought but in your build thread you said, quote:"Front and rear are 16x7. Fronts have 4.5 inch backspace and rears have 4 inch back space".

Wouldn't have a rear wheel on the drivers side front by mistake?

Other than that, and I'm not familiar with the Stubtec steering knuckles, are they an identical pair or can you get ones with different set outs (if that's the right term to use) ie: can you get stubs with a different distance from the centre line through the upper and lower ball joint holes to the caliper mounting pad.

If so it could be possible they sold you a mismatched pair of stubs.
I hope you can understand what I mean cause I'm not sure I do.:)

Cheers
Dave.

Edited by S pack, 04 October 2011 - 09:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users