DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, i know what ya mean. Like LITRE8, that started getin modified when you could still buy them new.

Its a bloody awesome car, on and off the track, and no matter what it is a 6.8 sec ET is bloody fast.

RIM

#27 _revmaniac_

_revmaniac_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:42 PM

getting back to the air con type cooler setup...i have been bench racing this idea for a few years and i believe it to be a very worthy setup....the way i originally wantd to set it up was to have the a/c gas passing through what would have been the water passages of a liquid to air cooler but despite the cooler being on the low pressure side of the a/c system(after the TX valve) the system "equallizes" when turned off so the pressures would be too high for the average ally cooler...so round two which i believe would work a treat....
run a a/c system basically as intended..only instead of the heat exchanger being under the dash to provide cool air to occupants it would be housed in a sealed container filled with coolant which when mixed right stays liquid down to -30 degrees!!!!!!!!! then use a small electric pump to circulate this super cold coolant through a liquid to air cooler
oh and for those saying what about the power drain of a/c..........................
the beauty of this system over air to air is this system gets colder the longer the engine is run....meaning say at the drags you get the system cold in the lanes and burnout and when approaching the line the a/c pump can be turned off........if you think you can create enough heat in under 15 seconds to take the chill off -30 degree coolant then good luck with what your doing.......remember that air to air cops massive heatsoak from the radiator the longer it sits and is only JUUUST becoming effective near the traps
my switching idea for the a/c pump would be via a relay triggered by the brake light switch......think about it......very effective during a hillclimb run where braking would also see the engine being retarded by the hp drain of the a/c pump and would take a lil temp out at the same time........

if anyone sees any probs with this or has suggestions PLEASE seriously get in touch as im trying to perfect this system BEFORE i build it for my project twin turbo V6 UC

#28 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:01 AM

All interesting thoughts revmaniac! I'll mull that one over in my head a bit more!

The only downside i can see sofar is the extra weight to be carried by a drag car by all the good gear!

Cheers!

#29 _pro386_

_pro386_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

The MRMAD torana was built by Joe after he sold the old red joeblo lj which he had a psi blown small block in which he said to daniel with the cal400 torana. He then got the twin turboed engine from Ed Thorton in the states. He has a twin turboed 57 chev that runs mid 6's in PSCA. There was a pic of the car in street machine with the psi blown small bock in it.

#30 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:43 PM

:clap: I got to see this run twice at the winternationals on the weekend a 7.18 at 200ish mph from memory but with 3 wheels on the ground was a wild ride. Must say its an awesome site to stand there and watch.

#31 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

Daniel-Cal400 has always been the same car, not the ex-red Joe Blo Car, Cal400 was red with a alcohol 308, then it was flat black with a blown 308, it was then sent to a chassis shop for more work then sold-it then became GOTAGO-street machine cover a few years back, then Daniel bought it back.

#32 _suxgas_

_suxgas_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

MR MAD ran a PB at WSID 9/7/06 with a 6.75@210mph the boys are finally getting it cracking.. there is awsome footage on dragster.com :spoton:

Edited by suxgas, 10 July 2006 - 10:47 PM.

#33 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:12 AM

http://www.cacklingp...060709mrmad.wmv

Mr MAD VIDEO

#34 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

:blink: :blink: Did you see the wheels come up for the second time around the 330' mark??

Holeeeee Farrrrkkk.. He needs twin wheelie bars ( ive never liked the single bar...) and set em a bit tighter! Cant steer if those front runners arent touching the ground all pass!!

Another question... I notice the flames out the pipes on the start line.. that's some kind of anti-lag no doubt.. Can anyone explain how they do it? Is it as simple as a fuel injector firing straight into the exhaust turbine?

Cheers!

#35 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

I think the way anti-lag works is it dumps extra fuel and timing into the engine and turbo's during staging which in turn spools the turbos up before the revs get going-as in the turbo's are working as if they're under load but the car aint moving!, and yes very insane pass, maybe he was using the force to drive?

#36 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

MrMad is once tough car. if your going to cut a bathurst xu1 at least it was done well and its absolutely mad. i cant believe how loose it gets through the 1/4 mile. thats insane. i read in street machine that he was transpanting the engine into something else. not 100% on that though. tough car

#37 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:15 PM

I'd have to guess it would be something with a much longer wheelbase and probably a more aerodynamic body... My GUESS.... a doorslammer/funny car...

Cheers :)

#38 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

I think MR MAD should be re-name CRAZY BASTARD.

Can't get over the single wheelie bar either. You would think 2 would be a must with a car that picks the fronts up mid track.

#39 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:57 PM

he isnt transplanting taht donk, I belive he is doing the same sort of setup, but with a Big Block! and its going into a longer wheelbased full chassis car.......

#40 _torana06_

_torana06_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:48 AM

I wanna see this car down here in victoria

ITS INSANE

#41 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:08 AM

the reason it blows flames out the pipes when its staging is because
his foot is flat on the throttle with the rev limiter on , thats unburnt fuel
igniting every second or third revolution :spoton:

#42 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:36 AM

Dave: I dont think thats quite right, I think it is an anti lag system used to spool the turbos up on the start line!

I have no doubt his foot IS flat to the boards being held on a trans brake, but i think the fuel is more from the anti lag than just "overly rich"

Cheers mate :)

#43 _keith1962_

_keith1962_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

Hey all
Where the hell is Cal-400's Torrie these days???????????

cheers Keith

#44 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

yer ok tiny ! It would be nice to get some more info on the engines management
system , all my mates who have seen this vido are blowaway :blink: ! :rolleyes: cant believe how fast it is .

#45 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:29 PM

Defintiely right there dave! I'd like to know more about the anti lag and engine management myself!!

I think anyone who straps themselves into a missile that has its front wheels off teh ground around HALF TRACK has gotto have cannonBALLS!!

Gotto see thing thing run in the flesh one of these days!! the videos are amazing!!

#46 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

CAL400 was painted flat black last time I saw it & was going to be used as a burnout car.You never know it might come back to race.

MRMAD is great to watch when I saw it at the street drags,driver just doesn't back off at all,crazy.

I'm reasonably sure it's a manual so if he takes his foot of the gas the g/box will neutralise.

#47 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

Mr mad is manual!?!? Really!?

#48 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:16 PM

Air shifted lenco from memory,I kind of remember seeing Ben Bray there helping them sort it out last year although I haven't seen the car in a couple of months.

#49 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:36 PM

Ahh yep.. lenco makes sense! I didnt think you meant a conventional manual :)

#50 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

last i heard that cal bloke was getting done over by the tax department. not gunna spread rumours but yeh thats what i heard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users