Photo

Bathurst Commodore replica on the mountain !

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

A few years ago I assembled an engine for a guy I know (we will call him Aldo) who brought me a pile of old bits from numerous blown up combos. Included in this stuff was a new solid Wade cam with ridiculous specs. Curious I contacted Clive to check the details. He informed me it was his current spec Group C 308 cam, had great top end but nothing really below about 4500rpm in a stock stroke 308. I put the thing together and it sat in the corner of his shed for a few years. Just before I went overseas last month he contacted me to change sump and help fit it to his car. I was running short on time before departure so swapped the sump to a C/dore one and helped him slide the engine and box into the freshly painted engine bay and left him to it. I usually like to be there when customers fire up the engine for the first time just to make sure the cam has the best chance it can have and everything else is good. This time I had to organize a trusted buddy to do it for me. Before I left I asked him about the car. It was a silver VH that used to cruise around Canberra years before. It was conspicuous with its bolt on flares and gold Simmons back in the day but it had been sitting around for about 10 years. Anyway he was going to turn it into a Bathurst tribute car of some description and was keen to get there this year. As it was only about 6 weeks away I wished him luck and took off.

A couple of days after I got back Aldo contacts me about a couple of things and I ask him how the car is going. He said it had paint and he had organized some vinyl signs for it. It seemed to run alright except for some fuel system issues but he is still keen to make it to the mountain. I was surprised as even though Aldo is fairly good at the paint'n' panel work there was a lot to be done.

Saturday he calls me and reckons he is going to Mt Panorama right or wrong. He had just had a wheel alignment and borrowed some wheels with tyres that had some tread and was ready to go. He sent me a pic of the car as it sat the day before, straight out of the oven with a fresh coat of clear over the vinyl signs....

Attached File  Aldo.jpeg   36.72K   27 downloads

I was speechless. The car needed panel work and a lot of fibreglass work when I last saw it, about 6 weeks previously. He had obviously done some serious work to get it to this stage. He even had some sort of side pipe exhaust made for it !

Anyway on his trip through rural NSW he got pulled up by the Highway Patrol who wanted to know what on earth he was up to, driving this thing on the street. Now Aldo is the kind of guy who can talk anyone into anything and somehow managed to talk the officers into posing for a pic with him ! (Hope its not Ruts !)

Attached File  Aldo1.jpeg   42.92K   6 downloads

So he gets to Mt Panorama in time to cruise the town of Bathurst and do a few fly-bys down the main street. He decides he wants to have a look at the track. Security pull him up at the gate and tell him he is in the wrong place..... Historic Touring Cars have to go through over there ! He drives straight into the pit paddock and cruises around the V8 pits. A pile of people come out of their tents and motor homes to see what is making all the noise and soon a small crowd gathers. Out of the crowd comes Craig Lowndes, keen to get a look. After a while CL invites Aldo and his mate back to his RV and they end up camping the night in the pits with one of the teams.

Attached File  AldoCL.jpeg   55.18K   4 downloads

Aldo and his mate spent Sunday in the Vodaphone pits with Lowndes and Skaife at CL's request. The car was parked out the back and they had to fight off spectators and people keen to get their photo taken with the car. Even Allan Moffat got talking to them. Seems the car was a real hit. Here are a couple more pics from Sunday with some promo girls....

Attached File  Aldo2.jpeg   46.38K   4 downloads

Attached File  Aldo3.jpeg   38.38K   5 downloads

They came home on Sunday night with a heap of stories and unforgettable memories. Despite my concerns with the size of the cam the car ran faultlessly all weekend and even returns acceptable fuel economy. Aldo reckons the most compliments over the weekend were not about the way the car looked, but how it sounded !!!

#2 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

Lucky bugger! :buttrock:

#3 YELLAcakeu308

YELLAcakeu308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Name:ben
  • Car:A10X

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

sweet

#4 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

now that is my kind of story, thanks for sharing great yarn

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Great story Andrew, the car looks a treat and must sound absolutely wicked :)

Al.

#6 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

thats it.im taking the vh to bathurst next year the lucky bugger.
look at the grin on his face complete with the cats tail still hanging out a bit lol
love stories like this.nice car too

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Bloody awesome story!

#8 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

Now thats a good story. Thats one of the reasons I think Lowndes is a real champion.

#9 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

[quote name='REDA9X' timestamp='1318407470' post='627986']
Now thats a good story. Thats one of the reasons I think Lowndes is a real champion.
[/quote

I agree with you entirely. The way he showed emotion the first time he won the Peter Brock trophy showed me he is a genuine good guy.

Edited by Ruts, 12 October 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#10 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

That is one great story, without the photos it would sound too good to be true.

#11 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

fantastic ,

great story,makes you wish you had a replica race car.

#12 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

might have to build one huh... lol

#13 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

dont do it believe me. :Headbang2: its worth it in the end but its a bloody long road lol

#14 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

dont do it believe me. :Headbang2: its worth it in the end but its a bloody long road lol

What would you know :stirpot:

#15 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

great story, and the car looks ace!!

#16 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

Great story and as litre8 said - all the better for having pics.

#17 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

Great read and top pics to go with it.

#18 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Great read and top pics to go with it.

Welcome back, haven't seen you on line for a while, Hows the hatch going?

#19 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:22 AM

Got a call from Aldo the other day, he had booked in a job for the car and couldn't do it as he had other obligations. Wondered if I could drive the car for him !

I ended up driving the beast across town (side exit exhaust rumbling away !) and taking part in a mini parade as part of a Year 10 Formal. We got to the drop off point and about 200 onlookers went nuts.

No pics unfortunately but it was a real hoot !

#20 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

good stuff and just ask julia they will all start buying marlboros now you bad boy lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users