EFI 304 into LH

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:15 PM

I have a rear end damaged VR Statesman, I am going to fit it into my LH. I have had a Hollyed 304 in before but that engine ended up in a ute. What I would like to know is if anyone has fitted an injected motor and used the original computer and wiring and if there was any problems with the hook up to the Torana wiring harness that I should know about.

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:20 PM

Firstly, welcome to the forums. We have a member here by the user name of Herne who is doing that conversion ATM. I'll get a link to the project shortly.

[EDIT] Link is here.

Edited by CHOPPER, 24 May 2006 - 10:22 PM.

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:35 PM

Hi.

I see Chopper has pointed you in my direction (with the link) and to a point I can answer most/many of your questions but I am no expert on this I am learning much as I go.
Certainly it is a bigger job than I first imagined.

The harness will need modifying.
Not sure about the VR setup though as it's more complicated than the VN.
The guy to talk to about that is: Here are his numbers here. His name is Matt.

MOB:0418374164
HOME: 03 57991409

He loves to chat about EFI harness conversions and can give you all the advice you need.
My friend Tony is going to contact him as he is unhappy with the off the shelf harness he purchased.
Tony was amazed when he saw the workmanship in mine today.

Hope this helps, give me a buzz if you need more info.

Cheers
Herne

#4 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:11 PM

Thanks fellas, read your other post Herne sounds like it should turn out very nice. I will have to give Matt a call and ask him about the VR computer. I have a complete donor car so I will have everything, (computer, harness, fuel pump etc)

Herne, is the original immobiliser disconnected in your car? what fuel pump are you running? are you going to be running catalytic convertors? Does the bonnet close proplerly ie. the injection manifold doesn't sit too high.

Cheers
Brad.

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:43 PM

A few questions but luckily I have some of the answers :)

The immobiliser we are still thinking about, I had an aftermarket one fitted about 7 months ago and so far we have yet to determine how they actually wired it up. From what I understand there are many variations that they use presumably to try and fool some thieves.
I will let you know how we go with that one.
I am using VN computer and harness which Matt has modified for me.

I am running an external Bosch fuel pump its a standard EFI one and probably from a VN Commodore? I will get the number of it tomorrow.
I have checked with ACT Motor Registry and Cat converters are not required in the ACT although an engineers certificate and then full rego inspection IS required.
I have seen the same unit in another LX sedan like mine and the bonnet closes OK without modification. I have no reason to believe mine will be different.

I will also be running factory VN extractors, only the drivers side one needs a slight modification. An easy job.

Cheers
Herne

#6 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:45 AM

The VR computer will be a little more tricky as the auto behind the vr is computer controled as is teh speedo drive, whereas hernes being VN will not have this issue. The hight is of no issue as teh height of a carbied 308 is actually taller by about 20mm.

Your best bet is to have a look at ebay for a manual on cd this will give you the wiring diagrams and tests that are required for teh motors etc etc. Things to consider. The VN computer has a keyed switch in glove box for immobiliser the VR has this in teh key head and it talks to teh computer to tell it to start, this will need modification to work properly. There are a couple of hitches that will come up in just the differences between the VR and the VN the best thing is teh actual computer is teh same. it is the BCM and the ECU that is different. SO it is possible but not the overnighter type of install...

Good luck. Some other things to consider. seeing it is a statesman you have airbags? these will need to be foulled to the computer.

Cheers

#7 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hi LH SL/R 5000

Oldn64 is spot on when he states the VR will be a little more tricky. This is one of the reasons why I suggested you talk to Matt as he has a good deal of knowledge on EFI conversions and 'may' be able to help you through the VR problems :)

As promised here is the Fuel Pump info.
It is a Bosch 10090 External fuel pump. One of the forum members actually picked this pump up for me to ensure I got the right one capable of doing the job at hand.

I was wrongly of the opinion that a Blue/Black Holley might have worked.

My conversion is still a while from being completed as I am in no rush.

Cheers
Herne

#8 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

On a VR comp get the VATS switched off as if someone wants to get past it they just leave it on acc for 47mins & it turns off itself so it is not that great when you consider the extra wiring of the bcm needed,aftermarket alarm would be better.
If you are using different diff gears you will need shift points corrected by a tuner,it would be a good time to get them to turn the thermofans on at the temp you want as well as disable the VATS.For a speedo get a VDO electronic which is adjustable.

#9 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

I'd be sticking with as much VR stuff as I could, ie keep the VR ECU. From memory, it's a much superior system to the VN ECU. Are you going to fit the trans as well, or only the engine? Engine and trans would be a simpler transplant, wiring wise.

Re the VR security ignition key - shh, just between you and me, it would be a neat trick to retain that, and mount it in a hidden location. It would make a neat immobiliser - just wire up the standard Torana ignition switch to start the engine, and take the VR key out of the hidden location when you want to immobilise the car.

#10 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible, I don't have the original engine so I thought I would fit an injected engine. I am going to run the original driveline, M21 and GU7 LSD. Spoke to Mat, the bloke Herne advised me to ring, he says the VN computer is simpilar to work with and the VR computer needs reprogramming, don't know what I am going to do yet, would be a neat trick with the push button secruity immobiliser though.

#11 _Torana/Fan_

_Torana/Fan_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

I had a vn/vp 5L in mine and i would have given you the loom because the efi was pulled and fitted with a carb though its been tossed, still got the computer i think with chiptorque chip around i think, had pacemaker pipes and not sure now but one side did need some work as it hit the highenergy sump.

#12 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

Get the VATS turned off liked mentioned above and get the harness made, I know a top efi guy as well, great rates and its hassle free, I wasnt in a hurry so told him to take his time, made the narhess to suit my needs where I wanted things, done in 2 weeks and thats taking his time. Plug and Play.

VN-T Holden V8's run around 3 bar psi, so you need a high psi EFI fuel pump, external is a simple setup in a torana, internal is always the #1 choice for a street car, but in these little puppies space is not your friend.

#13 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:31 PM

One tuner told me it was about $80 & another $50 to turn off the VATS,ofcourse I found that out a while later after I forked out for a chiptorque memcal with the changes I wanted,should have shopped around more.I think it would be much better to hook it all up together like it is out of the donor vehicle.Done a few vn-vs conversions in vk's & even a vs s3 5l in my LC,much nicer than a carby set up.

Edited by gtrboyy, 26 May 2006 - 07:35 PM.

#14 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

Those of you that have done the conversion, what accelerator cable did you use?

#15 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

You can use your standard cable with a slight mod to the end.
My friend has done this and it seems very effective. I will see if he has any photo's of this.

Mine has not been fitted yet but I am hoping to use my standard V8 cable (dunno if they vary from the 6) in a slightly different manner to what my friend has done. If it works out I wll be taking photo's of what I did just the same as we did on my electric windows. Plenty of good clear photo's!

Cheers
Herne

#16 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

Cheers Herne, that would be great, the more info and photo's the easier it will be. I was disconnecting accessories of the motor in the ST8O today and just thought about the accelerator cable. No doubt there will be more questions in the future.

#17 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

On mine it has a commodore pedal & v8 cable which is longer.I thinm my set up was bought from Rare Spares from the previous owner,all I did for mine was change the 6cyl cable to the v8 one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users