76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

^ Exactly, if the UC steering arms are used the ideal situation would be to use the upper control arms to match

#27 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

This picture taken by dangerous shows the three different arms side by side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you want to run UC caster then UC arms are the go.

I have a set of UC arms you can buy/borrow. Should be able to send them express post overnight for around $10-$15.

I also have a set of LX arms so if you want I can measure the difference between the two on the weekend. There is also a couple of different types of tie rod ends available. There is 9 mm difference in height between two of the brands I have and about 4 mm difference in the diameter of the head. The rod end you have looks similar to the lower but larger diameter of the two I have.

The Hoppers kit mounts the caliper at the rear. It would be worth swapping the stubs to see how you go with rear mounted calipers.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 13 October 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#28 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

Yup, follow, I think the caster available with the UC upper arm is another 2 or 3 deg over what you can get with the LH/LX arms, but don't think it was ever used that way on a road car, steering would be way to heavy with anything above 2 deg or so, i suspect the only difference in the real world was that the shims front to rear on the UC arm is similar rather than lots and little on the early arms.

#29 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

Irrespective of which top control arm, it is the castor setting that determines how high the steering tie rod is. as long as you can get the castor setting you want with LX top control arms the only difference to UC ones is the size of your shim stacks.

I am actually still running LX top control arms on mine and I run about 2.5 degrees positive castor which is where the UC's normally run from memory.

I reckon UPC are waiting for us to sort their brake system out so they can steal the idea for themselves so they can tell people how to actually fit their kits to Toranas hence why they are lingering around.

#30 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

Yup, follow, I think the caster available with the UC upper arm is another 2 or 3 deg over what you can get with the LH/LX arms, but don't think it was ever used that way on a road car, steering would be way to heavy with anything above 2 deg or so, i suspect the only difference in the real world was that the shims front to rear on the UC arm is similar rather than lots and little on the early arms.

Ah yep good call, never thought of that myself.

More random info for teh brayne bank.

Cheers.

#31 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

It would be worth swapping the stubs to see how you go with rear mounted calipers.

If all else fails yes but if they are only 3mm from clearing I'd be trying the UC steering arms and a touch-up of the caliper first because there are other clearance issues to deal with when the stubs are swapped over (they can be dealt with but if they fit on the front that's preferable)

LH manual lists caster to be -2 to -1 at wheel alignment. Can't find a spec on UC but its definitely positive with the RTS, I would think that something similar to early Commodore (+0.5 to +2.5) would be about right for factory spec. So that would work out at at least 1.5 degrees difference. Steering isn't heavy with narrow 13" tyres :blink:

#32 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

From the alignment spec books we used to have at work, UC castor was +1.5 +/- 1.0 from memory. Not that the books were always 100% correct.

#33 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

Thinking about the way the earlier Torana's have negative caster, this would put the smaller drop/offset steering arm from LH and LX lower and in the correct position (top forward, tierod end further down at the front) with the lower arm and have an effect on the amount of bump steer that is inherrant with the chosen parts. Now with the revised UC settings of positive caster this puts the steering arm up a lot at the front, presumably causeing lots of bump steer and thus the need for the revised UC steering arms with the extra drop/offset in them, closer to the A9X arm, looking at it like this it might appear that the differance was brought about by the revised alignment settings and nothing more.

My LX is very late with RTS and from memory the book (or so i was told) shows it as negative caster also, and it was always a pig at speed, untill it was changed to a good amount of positive caster.

#34 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

looking at it like this it might appear that the differance was brought about by the revised alignment settings and nothing more.

Between LH/LX and UC steering arms, yes. However to achieve the difference in alignment you need the UC upper control arms too

#35 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

Cant see how the UC arm vs the LX arm with a different amount of shims, is any different? Both can be set up for, lets say +2.5 deg caster, just with a different shim stack on the LX arm...

#36 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

Mick, the difference between getting +2.5 castor with LH, LX or UC top arms is you get a more even shim stack with the UC top arms. The more uneven the shim stack, the more chance the shims will fall out. Seen that happen plenty of times over the years. I'd like to hear what experience 76lxhatch has had in the tyre industry, as he has made several comments in a few threads that are just plain crap.

#37 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Eh? I don't know what prompted that comment Chopper, you've made a few comments recently where you seem to think I'm disagreeing with you when I'm not...

You simply can't get +2.5 degrees of caster from a standard LH front end without dangerous amounts of shims (and yes Chopper I'm agreeing with you here again)

#38 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

hi all, Bought a 330mm kit from UPC... i know i know, DONT DO IT!!!!

Anyways, i did. the problem with mine is the braket and caliper (VE caliper) fouls on the top of the tie rod. i have though of numerous ways to maybe fix this but no go.

My other thought was the steering arms. apperently its not good to muck around with em.... but was looking at the A9x steering arm. this arm sits about 20 mm lower.
What are your thoughts on this working. and any other ideas out there?????

HELP!!!!!

Good mate of mine ordered an $8500 set of big racing brakes with AP calipers etc from UPC (Mr Spares). He fully paid on the 24 August and was told in an email that it is two weeks for delivery. After dozens of calls and promises,excuses (off racing and machines broken down) he finally received a parcel on the 11th October. On picking them off the floor the weight seemed heavy, no wonder because on opening it was all found to be wrong with no two piece disc/hats, wrong calipers,no bearings or seals etc etc. He rang UPC only to be told that tony was away racing and so they sent them just for a trial fit to make sure the offset was right .... :wtf:

I got my brakes delivered from Racebrakes Melb in three weeks.

I told my mate late September that a month was long enough to be stuffed around especially being down $8500 (but he has far more patience than me). He sent back the incorrect parts but as of this week he was still awaiting a dispatch date for what he ordered and paid for back in August.

What a way to run a business and treat customers. I would avoid such businesses like the plague.

Edited by LXSS350, 11 November 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#39 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

I have no idea why someone would even bother dealing with some people

#40 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

There is No Choice for people in WA wanting custom big brakes on early holden. Even Racebrakes Melb (who I used) had to be prodded with a stick. Not what you call fast and they where absolutely terrible on follow up confirmation emails.

#41 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

There is No Choice for people in WA wanting custom big brakes on early holden.

Talk to Neil (dattoman).

#42 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

There are plenty of people in Perth, you just have to know where to look.

Heres one for a start.
http://www.brakefabr...swa.com.au/home

#43 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

He spoke to me
Then went to see Rodney
And decided not to use them

If I had a workshop and time I'd do it
But The place I'm working right now isn't the correct environment

#44 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

There are plenty of people in Perth, you just have to know where to look.

Heres one for a start.
http://www.brakefabr...swa.com.au/home

Went out to their shop before I used Racebrakes. While out there I explained what I wanted and told them to get me a quote (no limits on the budget), rang back several times to get the quote, each time they told they would ring, never heard so rang once again said it would be soon and they would call me. Call never came and never got a quote so moved on. Instead I spent $7.5k with Racebrakes Melb. There loss not mine. Obviously they make enough and don't need the work. Pretty pathetic to run a business like that. Found that a lot in brakes unless your talking about bolt on factory stuff 99.99% are next to useless in one form or another.

#45 _zeroinstinct_

_zeroinstinct_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

Edited by zeroinstinct, 20 November 2011 - 08:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users