Dot 3 or Dot 4 brake fluid

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

What should we be using in our Torana's?
I used to run dot 4, but last time I was buying new fluid I was reading the labels, and the whole 'should be used in vehicles complying with.." statement got me thinking that I should probably be using Dot 3.
I first used the DOT 3 in conjunction with the new twin diagram booster & master cylinder, and I found the pedal felt quite spongy... but came to the conclusion that this must have been due to the extra boost.
Then my mechanic drove it last week (XU1 owner) and said he thought there may have been air in the brakes.
So I re-bled the lines before a run at Wakefield park yesterday, but it felt no different.
By the fourth lap, I had a VERY long brake pedal....
Not sure if this is related to the DOT rating of the fluid, or just different brand fluid.(it was also a 30+ degree day)

I used to use Nulon Super DOT 4, and the fluid I'm currently using (not for much longer!) id PBR super DOT 3. The Nulon states a boiling temp of 280 degree, and the PBR 260 degrees...

Also might be worth noting, at the end of the day the brake warning light came on... strangely enough as i was trundling down pit lane no where near the brakes - not sure if it's at all related?

So what fluid should I be using, keeping in mind the car is used for supersprints which are no more than 4 'hot' laps?

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

DOT4

The DOT ratings don't mean much nowdays
They used too
As better products came onto the market and cars went from drum brakes... DOT2 ... to disc front..>DOT3 ... to 4 wheel discs...DOT4

Nowdays its all borked cause Toyota has gone back to spec of DOT3 due to lower viscosity and this works better with ABS
Just use a good quality DOT4 and flush regularly

Never use a DOT5 silicone ... its compressible , airates easily and traps moisture in the system to cars not regularly used attract corrosion

DOT3 - Toyota
DOT4 - everything else
DOT5 - Old english crap,harleys and for sooks who are scared of paint damage but never drive their cars fast
DOT5.1 - Late model ABS cars

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Didn't know that about different fluid for ABS cars.

#4 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

I knew you'd come up with the goods (as always) Datto!
So do you think my issues would be caused by the Dot 3 fluid?

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

Driver error... lol

Get a good DOT4 up ya !!

#6 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

There's many things that can be put down to driver error Datto, but not sure the long pedal is one of them!

I'll run some new fluid & see how it goes - Wakefield was the last run for the year though, so now I need to wait until next year to find out the effect!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users