My 68 HK GTS Monaro Project

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

I thought l might put up my 1968 HK Monaro Project. I purchased the car back in 2008 from northern NSW. Was a young bloke getting married and needed the cash. Made him a silly offer and he politely told me to go away. 6 weeks later he called and said he would take my offer. So l purchased sight unseen. I had a local panel shop up that way go over it and he said it appeared pretty straight and minimal rust. So had it transported to Melbourne for collection.

Attached Files

#2 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

It was originally a 186s, blue in color with white parchment interior. He said back in 2000 it had a 2K paint job by his mate in "Chrysler Blue". It came with a very powerful 253, Supra 5 speed and VR Commodore interior along with a few other mod cons like DVD player!!! Upon further discussion with him he mentioned he had all the original white parchment interior and some parts sitting somewhere out the back in the shed. He seemed quite surprised that l would be interested in them and said l could have it all as it was just taking up room. So l did a deal and said he could keep the VR Commodore seats if he put all the original interior back in. Once agin he was quite surprised given the condition of the old seats!!!

Attached Files

#3 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

looks like a great project, nice pick up by the sound of things. what are the plans for this one?

#4 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

So it arrived and l was very happy. With only minimal rust in a couple of spots and all the major areas like floor pans etc appeared in very good condition. So l firstly set about polishing up the paint. Could not believe how it changed the car. Then had it lowered, fitted up some new 18" Showwheels and had the stripe put back on just in sticker form for now.

Attached Files

#5 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

Gotta be happy with that mate. Looks stunning!

#6 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

I then had all the chrome work done and the interior restored. As the car is not original driveline etc l decided to do my own thing. I wanted to keep it to the origins of the HK Monaro but decided the color scheme would be my take on what they should have offered back in 68!! I had remembered seeing a blue hotrod on Boyd Coddington's show on Pay TV once with a red interior and l loved it. Also my favourite Holden interior color is Goya Holden Red. So after a lot of deliberation l decided l would go with the Goya Red. Yes l know some of you will be thinking you idiot but this is not an original car and it also isn't an original 327. So it actually made my decision easier in the end although it took around 6 months to finally decide l was going to do it.

Attached Files

Edited by Macka, 22 November 2011 - 11:32 AM.

#7 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

Then l had new motor and gearbox fitted. Ended up importing a 383 Chev with Turbo 350 and 3200 high stall from the states. It was built and by Daryl at "Fastco". Daryl did a great job and showed me all the traps/bullshit of those exporting engine builders from the USA. They love to claim HP figures but most won't guarantee and when you start asking detailed questions and want commitment they back away. Daryl completed full dyno and video before final payment. Engine dynoed out at 400HP and 420 Torque. Turbo 350 is fully tricked and auto/manualised. Had it installed in Geelong by Scott Carmody from Exhaust Brothers and very happy with it. Sounds great and can turn the back wheels without hesitation. Not sure how long the 10 bolt will stand up to it though but will put a 9 inch in if it blows!!

Attached Files

#8 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

So at this time a few things left to do but overall the makeover for now has been completed. In the future, say 4-5 years, l will pull it off the road and do a nut and bolt restoration of body. The color will probably be the same or similar as now. I like it and it has a bit more depth than the original Holden Blue. However for now l am happy to just enjoy it as it is. Actually having a paint job that looks ok as long as you stand 1-2 metres away is a lot less stressful than a new one like my LC GTR Torana!!!

Cheers Damian

Attached Files

• Attached File  33.jpeg   63.69K   8 downloads
  • Attached File  34.jpeg   53.77K   5 downloads

#9 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

I would happily sell my SL/R 5000 and even my Cooper S for something as cool as this.

#10 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

mate this thing is absolutely stunning. I LOVE the interior. I think the colour choice and the pattern/theme is spot on for this car. LOVE IT

#11 qarnita

qarnita

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LJ sedan

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

WOW thats awesome.Love the HK's and yours is beautiful.Well done.

#12 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

looks great, its amazing how the wheels/stance has changed the look of the car, and the polish seems to have mad a huge difference to the look of the paint. looks like an awesome cruiser!

#13 _homer_

_homer_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Very nice, good job mate.

#14 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

Awesome, the change in the depth of the colour is unbelievable.... Interior colour awesome......drooling...

#15 _itzww3_

_itzww3_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

love it mate hate the fact mines got to go :(

#16 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Thanks everyone for comments. Glad you like the interior/exterior combination. Seems like l should have went with my gut feel first and not procrastinated for 6 months!!

#17 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

Stunning.

#18 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

Thats absolutely bullshit what a fantastic car love the colour combo to macka you got 2 great cars in your stable
i get the feeling you like blue cars
cheers gene.

#19 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

Yes blue is favorite Gene. Yes can't wait to be able to park the Torana beside it. Hopefully by Xmas it will be on the road.

#20 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

I cant say to much i also have 2 blue cars sandman and a mazda yes thats right a mazda dont hold it against me its my work rig

#21 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

Love my Toranas but the early Monaro's are just such a great tough looking muscle car.
More I see them the more I want one. Shame GMH lost sense of its style as we went into dunnydores.
GM kept theirs with the Camaro and Vette but we got stuck with taxi's and bland copycat nothingness.

Now the world manufacturers style by photocopier.

Love your HK.
Drive the wheels off it and enjoy what we used to have.

#22 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:46 AM

Yummo!

#23 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Agree with all the above ,everything looks perfect , well done , it brings back a lot of memories , a mate had one a similar blue , 186 S in the 70's

#24 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

I miss my Warrick yellow 186S GTS (bone colour interior)
Power steer and opel 4 speed
Wasn't a powerhouse but it was a nice car

One day I'll get that silver mink car with red interior

#25 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

Looks great. Silver mink with Goya trim is lovely, not sure I like the blue and red but it still looks awesome. How wide and what offset are the 18" wheels? I plan to fit black painted 18x8 V2II CV8 rims and 235/40/18 tyres to my Warwick yellow 327, just wondered if you get much tyre rub? Mine will not be lowered (I do not like lowered cars) so will be stock ride height.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users