steering stops with harrop arms

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _coil62_

_coil62_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

hello all.

have a couple off questions that hopefully somebody can help me out with.

1. have fitted hq discs,wb girlock calipers and harrop arms to uc k frame for my lx hatch.
the calipers are on the front of the stubs with the caliper bracket machined down to fit the tie rod to steering arm. how do you stop the caliper , mainly the brake line where it bolts to caliper from going in under where the spring sits and been torn off during suspension travel on full lock.? as there is no steering stop on these harrop arms.

2. with the hq stubs I've dropped the front end down a bit. what would be the best springs to put in the front end keeping it at a fairly standard ride height.? it will spend its life as a street car but i would still like it reasonably firm. also advice on rear springs would be appreciated. driveline will consist of 5litre t400 9inch rear with drop tank and 15 inch rims. if anyone can point me in the right direction on any of this it would be a great help

regards coil

#2 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:06 AM

Have you fitted an A9X style bump stop spacer to the k-frame to reduce compression travel?

I think you will find that full suspension travel at full lock is not possible. On full lock the front tyre should hit the guard long before the the suspension is on the bump stops. You would also have to wonder under what scenario you would actually bottom out the suspension when at full lock.

I have a similar setup but with tubular control arms. On full lock the Harrop steering arms just contact the lower control arm. I decided to reduce the steering rack travel on full lock by fitting a 10 mm spacer at each end of the rack.

The axle on the HQ stub is around 20 mm higher than the axle on the LX stub therefore the difference in ride height between the two if nothing else has been changed is 20 mm.

The most reliable way to get the exact ride height you want is to fit a set of springs and then get springs custom made based on the springs you fitted and the height difference you want. Custom made springs are not much more expensive than off the shelf springs. If you want something off the shelf then A9X springs would be a starting point.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 26 November 2011 - 03:10 AM.

#3 adgjl7

adgjl7

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Car:lx hatch

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

yep i know what you are talking about, at full lock the bolt holding the hose to the brake caliper hits the subframe pushing the caliper piston back into the caliper leaving you with no brakes for the first pump of the brake pedal. this happens no matter where the suspension is in its travel, as i go pretty slow at full lock an being aware of it, it has not been an issue. i plan to make up a couple of plates to bolt or weld to the lower control arm on top of the existing bump plates to stop the steering going around so far,as i dont want to weld any thing to the steering arms. i guess a plate thickness of around that on that of the bump stops of the uc steering arms for a start, should not be hard to measure up. ps i run standard height heavy king springs on the front an 1" lowered on the rear with 15" wheels. abit high for some but i think it looks ok, cheers allan

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

hello all.

have a couple off questions that hopefully somebody can help me out with.

1. have fitted hq discs,wb girlock calipers and harrop arms to uc k frame for my lx hatch.
the calipers are on the front of the stubs with the caliper bracket machined down to fit the tie rod to steering arm. how do you stop the caliper , mainly the brake line where it bolts to caliper from going in under where the spring sits and been torn off during suspension travel on full lock.? as there is no steering stop on these harrop arms.

2. with the hq stubs I've dropped the front end down a bit. what would be the best springs to put in the front end keeping it at a fairly standard ride height.?

#1 There were 4 different calipers fitted to HQ-WB Holdens. One of them fits with little trouble, I just can't remember which one.

#2 It wouldn't be much good to you, but I get my springs custom made in melbourne. The last pair cost me $130 and the first height reset is free. So if you install them and want the ride height altered by X amount, they will reset it once for free. After that they charge you.

#5 adgjl7

adgjl7

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

ps the springs have settled abit since i posted the pics on my profile an i am talking about the wb alloy girlock calipers
as in the ones that look like the a9x that have the hose bolted to the side an had the artical done somewhere in these forums

#6 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

http://www.gmh-toran...pers-a9x-style/

This one?

#7 adgjl7

adgjl7

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

yep thats the one thanks

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

Have you considered moving the brake hose from the side to the top of the caliper as per the A9X.

#9 _coil62_

_coil62_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies much appreciated.One of the problems i face is this vechile has to go thru regency park for inspection.So what ever i do needs to be signed off by an engineer before inspection.I don't think they would be to happy seeing the caliper foul the k frame.ls2lxhatch you mentioned 10mm spacers in the rack.That sounds like a neat way of doing it.Was it something you did yourself or had somebody do? As for the springs I will start with standard a9x and go from there
regards coil

#10 _coil62_

_coil62_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

Have you considered moving the brake hose from the side to the top of the caliper as per the A9X.

No thats something I did'nt think of ls2lxhatch.There would'nt be a picture of a genuine A9X caliper anywhere with the hose and nipple set up on it.So I can see what you mean?
regards coil

#11 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

This steering stops are something I am making myself. I still have not decided on the final design ( I have seven prototypes). Most of the designs and prototypes I have made require the rack to be disassembled to fit.

The simplest solution I have so far is to remove the rack boots and slip a wiring grommet with about a 22 mm inside diameter over the rack end and over the lock nut so it is crushed when the steering is turned full lock. Normally the rack travel is limited by the rod end lock nut.This method will reduce the travel around 5 mm for each grommet.

It is possible that the grommet on the drivers side could split and somehow work its way into the rack teeth but it seems rather unlikely. You will have to use your own judgement.

Posted Image

As I have disassembled the rack I will probably press a 10 mm nylon spacer into the rack tube at each end. It may be possible to make a similar nylon spacer with a slit in it that will allow it to be fitted over the rack while the rack is still assembled.

Posted Image

Photo by antelopeslr5000 from this thread
Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 26 November 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#12 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Depending on how much thread you have on the tie rod ends you may be able to make a steering arm bump stop that is held on by the tie rod end nut. Basically a large diameter washer under the tie rod end nut.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 26 November 2011 - 02:47 PM.

#13 _coil62_

_coil62_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

Well finally sorted out the front end.Thanks ls2lxhatch the couple of things you mentioned got me on the right track. Decided to go with machining and tapping a new hole for the brake line.similar to the A9X. But not on front of caliper we did it on the bottom side of caliper were there are 2 round protusions.Drilled and tapped the top one of the two,used a hq style line that now comes out the rear of crossmember.Fixed it to the back of the top wishbone then to chassis.As the line leaves the caliper not far from the center line of stub there's not much movement or flex in the line so no chance of getting caught anywhere, I hope.The steering rack gave me aheadache but i think we sorted that.I got a lx and a uc one and to cut a long story short swapped the internals over now have a solid mounted rack with 3 and a bit turns lock to lock instead of 4.5 turns that seems to work at the moment.A mate is turning up a couple of spacers with grub screws in them that i can fit on the threaded pieces that hold the steering arms .There by reducing the lock to lock so the calipers don't hit k frame.Hopefully it will work out fine ,if it does'nt well then plan b ,c ,d etc Will let you know how it turns out regards coil

#14 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:08 AM

Great minds think alike, I picked up an LX rack on the weekend so I would have a choice of ratios.

The spacers with grub screws was one of the designs I considered. I also found that the rack steps up from the threaded section enough so a spacer that is a snug fit on the thread will not be able to slide past the threaded/machined section on the rack.

After experimenting with several designs I ended up machining up alloy spacers that are a snug fit in the steering rack housing and are held in with an internal c-clip.

#15 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

Andy, Let me know your findings on rack ratio if you measure and compare LX and UC. I have measure 1, not the other. I think it is LX I have measured directly.

Coil62, where did you get a torana rack with 4.5 turns lock to lock? What is that out of?

#16 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

I made some steering stops using the lower wishbone suspension stop, the one with the raised bump that sits next to the stub axle. I just cut the bump off square, drilled a hole in the front of the wish bone where the steering arm touches, put a nut and washer on the back (it has its own bolt built in) and your done. looks factory, and its a rubber stop not metal on metal. You know you can get a stop welded on the harrop steering arms, they are cast steel. Make sure you have it professionaly done because you are playing with the steering.

#17 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

The rubber stop is a good idea however it was not really an option for me as I have tubular control arms.

According to one of the parts manuals one of the racks 9940277 is listed as 25:1 which is about 4.5 turns lock to lock. I have a UC rack that is 9940277 but it is 3.25 turns lock to lock which works out around 18:1.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 13 December 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#18 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

I gather you meant 2 different numbers above ^.

What i am interrested in is if there is a difference in the rack and pinion ratio between UC and LX racks. I know they state different figures for the steering ratio, but they are very similar so this could be achieved with just the difference in steering arms. The only time I have ever directly swaped a rack LX to UC, I did a steering arm change as well so I couldn't compare just the rack ratios. I just need to know if there is a difference in number of teeth on the rack and number of teeth on the pinion. For no other reason than I like to know what options are out there.

Matt

#19 _coil62_

_coil62_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Went and checked lock to lock on both racks lx and uc this afternoon Must have been in the shed to long last night. The lx has 3 and a bit turns the uc has half a turn more.Don't know were i came up with 4.5 turns could'nt have had both arms on it sorry about that. So i will just put uc rack on it,whats half a turn in the grand scheme of things I'll lose a bit of that by putting spacers in it anyway.Toranama69 in answer to your question this evening the uc steering rod has 30 teeth the pinion has 5, rod lenght is 623 mm, steering arm lenght is 265 mm and teeth are app 24-25 deg. The lx rack,steering rod 30 teeth,pinion 6 teeth,steering rod 602mm steering arm 276mm and rod teeth are app 15-16 deg.Just happened to have both pulled apart again for the tenth time sitting on the bench when i saw your last post. Hope that helps anyway
cheers coil

#20 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:15 PM

Excellent - thanks mate - you have put to rest something I have wondered for a long while, yet never had everything apart to compare all at the same time.

Matt

#21 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

One of the parts manuals, I can not remember which had the following ratios listed.

9932244 (was 9942632) gear assy 20.4:1 also shows it as 18:1 exc A9X
92003971 gear assy 18:1 A9X
92001807 gear assy 25:1 A9X

According to REDA9X there are only two standard Torana rations 20.4:1 and the 18:1. There is apparently another two A9X ratios one of which may be 25:1.

Toranamatt posted that the steering is around 34 degrees in and 31 degress out for a total of 65 degrees. Using this figure we can calculate the following.

18:1 65 * 18.0 / 360 = 3.25 turns lock to lock.
20.4:1 65 * 20.4 / 360 = 3.68 turns lock to lock.
25:1 65 * 25.0 / 360 = 4.51 turns lock to lock.

I have seen my UC rack 9940277 is listed as 25:1 which should be 4.5 turns lock to lock. However my UC rack has 30 teeth and the pinion has 5 teeth as posted by coil62. I just checked it on the bench without arms and from factory rack stop to stop is was a little over 3.5 which again is the same a coil62 posted. I am not sure where I got the 3.25 from, it may have been that my steering arms hit before the rack stops due to steering alignment issues.

It looks like LH/LX racks will be 18:1 and UC will be 20.4:1.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 13 December 2011 - 11:52 PM.

#22 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

I thought the 25:1 was an A9X ratio - hence my Q' as I have never seen one.

#23 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

Matt, I have my brothers A9X at home, will check on the weekend, too much Christmas stuff going on at nights to get a chance.

Edited by myss427, 14 December 2011 - 08:27 AM.

#24 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

on my race car i have hq rotors hq callipers 1000lb springs to the same ride height as the king springs a9x 1200lb ones.king only make 820 and 1200 from what i was told .820 was weak as piss and 1200 was to strong.the harrop arms really created havoc with the steering lock causing the tyres to hit the firewall.very dangerous.we just welded some 10 mm stops to the lower wishbones to limit steering lock although a much less agricultural but not dissimilar method could be adapted for road use but it does the job for me.
you asked about rear spring rate i just use 180lb for racing and i think about 250 for the road car but this is very stiff and causes the back to be uncomfortable on shitty roads ill be going back to standard i think or buying a kidney belt.

#25 _coil62_

_coil62_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

Ubelievable,go to all the trouble of converting a set of wb calipers, plugging the exsisting brake hose hole on the side of caliper and tapping new hole at back of caliper so brake line comes out behind stub axle and does'nt catch or fowl on anything.Pretty clever of me i thought until a mate of mine walked into my shed today with a set of calipers of a hz , alloy ones with the brake line right were we'd spent half a day changing the wb ones to.Live and learn i supose In regards to springs front and rear can any one help me out with part numbers and brands ls2lxhatch has aready suggested standard a9x front ones but the roads around this part of the world are'nt that smooth and 1200lbs might just hurt a bit . I know it comes down to personal choice but i need to start somewhere . So if i have to i will get the a9x ones for the front unless there are any other ideas out there. I will also need a set for the back that will match up with the front Theres only a handfull of pre 1980's street cars in this town so the chance of walking into a shop and getting the right advice is pretty slim. So if i can walk in armed with a few part numbers or brands I'll be half way there

regards coil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users