How can I check if my ignition switch is stuffed?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

My starter motor isn't turning over when I turn the key. I think it could be my ignition switch. Is there anyway I can check to see if my switch has carked it? What wires would I need to splice in order to replicate the switches role?

My switch has 5 terminals - one Purple (fuse panel, instruments?), one Brown (starter motor), 2 Pink into same terminal (one is coil, the other is fuse panel), one Yellow (coil), and one Red which according to my wiring diagram is for light switch.

What wires do I have to tap to see if it's my ignition switch or not?

Thanks guys

For 6 cylinder

Edited by Eddie, 28 May 2006 - 05:49 PM.

#2 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:05 PM

Need more info, do the ignition lights come on? The ignition switch is adjustable maybe it has moved over time and is now not moveing far enough to hit the start position.

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

More information: does everything else connected to the switch work as it should? ie do dash lights go on, everything workable when you put it in the on position?
The purple wire is the one you want to check out. which on your circuit diagram should show this going to the starter solenoid?
Measure the voltage on the terminal of the starter where the purple wire goes when you put the switch in the start position. If no voltage, switch and or wire a prob, if voltage....starter /solenoid is the prob.

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

Maybe somebody should PM him the answer, cause it's also the same way to hotwire a car.

#5 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

Hotwire the car? It doesnt quite spell out how to do it, but Im sure anyone who really wants to know they can just type in "hotwire a car" onto google and get more comprehensive advice. The initial quest could appear to be asking for info on how to hotwire.......so sending this guy a pm wouldnt be a good idea either.

#6 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:36 PM

Relax, I'm not trying to steal my own car. Just trying to find out what the problem is. It's definitely not the starter motor as Ive hooked up another one which works. All lights on the dash work; ACC light, gauges etc. I've tried another battery so it's not an ampage problem, I've hooked up another coil, so it's not that either. I just thought someone here could give some advice.

I think if someone was really trying to get into the car stealing business they wouldn't subscribe to a Torana website, post 100 messages, have their user name as their real name, deal and trade personally with other members, then quite publicly ask how to hotwire a bgucken car.

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:23 AM

I think if someone was really trying to get into the car stealing business they wouldn't subscribe to a Torana website, post 100 messages, have their user name as their real name, deal and trade personally with other members, then quite publicly ask how to hotwire a bgucken car.

Perhaps address ^ to the member concerned.

Measure the voltage on the terminal of the starter where the purple wire goes when you put the switch in the start position.  If no voltage, switch and or wire a prob, if voltage....starter /solenoid is the prob.

I just thought someone here could give some advice.

I was hoping that I did........but it doesnt appear that you have done what I suggested to try and pinpoint the problem? ....otherwise do what you are doing and randomly replace everything until it works.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 30 May 2006 - 01:33 AM.

#8 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:39 AM

All good, problem sorted now. THank you fellas

#9 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:16 PM

Out of interest what was the problem?????

#10 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:31 PM

The short answer is: I don't really know. Just one day suddenly the car decided not to start so I went through the usual procedure of elimination to figure it out. I hooked up a dummy starter motor which I just sat on the carby and hooked up all the cords. When I got it to work I thought well hey thats my problem so I'll change them over. But before I did I thought what the heck I'll better just double check the original starter motor to see if it works. And sure enough it did.

Before you say anything I had checked and checked over and over again all the wires connecting to the starter motor and they were all firm and in place. So I have no friggen idea whats going on. My uneducated guess is that somewhere in my starter motor/solenoid there's dodgy connection which works when it wants to. Either that or ghosts. Ghosts might haunt my car? Anyway, I'm buying a new starter so hopefully she holds up til then!!

#11 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:39 PM

Good to hear it's now working, we all get these little annoying electrical type of gremlins now and then that seem to fix themselves.

Good luck anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users