My extractors keep leaking between cyl 3&5 and 4&6

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

I bought a second hand set of genie extractors for my 253 and im having a problem with them leaking from the bottom of exhaust ports 3&5 and 4&6. I've fitted a new set of exhaust gaskets which seal fine until i take it for a drive and as soon as i accelerate hard they blow out and i get a tick tick tick noise from the exhaust, when i pull the gaskets out you can see where they have been leaking.

Could the extractors flange be warped, is it a common thing for the exhaust to leak at these ports? Whats my best option, just pull them out and get them milled or is there another option to get them sealing properly?

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:39 PM

First thing is make run a straight edge across the flange and make sure everything is lined up. if is the next thing is a trip to local spares shop and grab a product called maniseal (clay based product, can be used on all exhuasts).

This stuff is like the gasket sealer for the exhuast world. place this on teh gasket and then do exhuast up. Due to the hotter, and higher pressures at the manifolds, leave this for at least 12hours. Start the car and enjoy the smell. do not rev the car to much for a week then go hell for leather. should be great.

Cheers

#3 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:55 AM

Excellent, ill give it a go!

#4 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:03 PM

Just make sure the exhuast is not bent first and the things are true. If not you might be pushing it up hill....

Cheers

#5 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Will do, i've got to pull the extractors off anyway to weld on some flanges and also replace the exhaust piping between extractors and muffler box so ill check i do that :).

Thanks
Damien

#6 _Neat LX_

_Neat LX_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:43 PM

Also...
Im not too sure how good it is too use, but many guys who race offroad racing vehicles at our events use clear selastic (spelling??) to help seal them on the outside. Apparently as it is flexible and heat tolerant, it is good for engines that vibrate alot.

#7 _RCK-914_

_RCK-914_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

have you tried to tighten them up again when the motor is hot, I have to redo the one's on the VQ this way every few months.

Cheers Chris

#8 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:57 AM

Yep i've tryed tightening them when the engine is hot, makes no difference after its started leaking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users