Low oil pressure

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#126 _WYLDLC6_

_WYLDLC6_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Yeah I did ok. Has 12 months reg too. Few things need fixing like pipes/exhaust, replace the convos with something else and finish the timber on the tray and a good tune, but generally very good.
Probably was a bargain but I also think the even now overiflated prices of torries helped.
I'll definitely get some pics up once I've finished a few things off.

#127 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Had a scary case of dejavu in the last couple months. Torana has had an oil pressure issue, when at running temp, the oil pressure has been dropping to near 0 on the electrical guage (vdo gtr dash).

Ive got a known earth/electrival gremlin that plays havoc with guage readings, but as with all things, you just kind of know where it should sit and how various quirks behave in your car.

So when it dropped to near zero and refused to come up with revs (had been fine cold) as you also do, every noise became a freak out moment (are the rockers getting noisier, pull over turn it off, feel everything check sender wires, start and listen etc)

Finally got around to putting a mechanical guage in today (temporarily) and found the following-

40psi cold idle pressure
43psi cold @2000rpm

At oprating temp
20-25psi at idle
40psi at 3500-4500rpm.

Chasing an electrical problem now, but its nice to know im not pulling the motor down again .

Im guesing that once hot, the sender is not reading correctly, and combined with my dash demons, was giving a false oil pressure reading. New guages I have are mechanical, so should solve that eventually.

#128 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Mechanical gauges all the way!!

#129 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'm converted now too..... have sworn by electrical gauges for years and years, but had similar problems and minor heart attacks where gauge started showing low oil pressure and odd readings. After fitting a mechanical gauge, the readings are now higher, more consistent, and faster re-acting.

#130 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Mech are much better. According to my electric oil pressure gauge, oil pressure drops as soon as my thermo turns on and fluctuates when the indercator is on.

#131 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

You will find that the fluctuates is coursed by the alternator being to small, what amp alternator are you using.

#132 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

55amp. Might be time for a bigger unit?

#133 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

#134 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

I would fit a 75amp alternator in your case gtrtorana I had a 75amp now i have gone to 120amp but mine is EFI

#135 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

would fit a 75amp alternator in your case gtrtorana I had a 75amp now i have gone to 120amp but mine is EFI

Cheers for the tip coupe202. I will add it to my to-do list.

#136 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Also, grabbed this to give it a whirl too

Posted Image

Comes pretty well reccomended, not overly cheap (thats $70 worth of oil in those 5 bottles) but its cheaper than some of the other stuff people run (like royal purple etc etc)

#137 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Mechanical gauges all the way!!

I run mechanical, but there are pluses and minuses to both. I clearly recall pumping the oil from the sump in my late teens, due to poor installation of the copper lines.

#138 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Also, grabbed this to give it a whirl too

Comes pretty well reccomended, not overly cheap (thats $70 worth of oil in those 5 bottles) but its cheaper than some of the other stuff people run (like royal purple etc etc)

I've heard good things about that oil, but have never tried it (mostly because I'm a tightarse). Let us know how your filter looks when (if?) you cut it open.

#139 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I plan on cutting open the current filter (been running Penrite) and doing a comparo in 6 months time when I change the oil (hey, its $70, I may as well draw out the oil change! haha)

Its just a prick they dont do it in bulk.

#140 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I plan on cutting open the current filter (been running Penrite) and doing a comparo in 6 months time when I change the oil (hey, its $70, I may as well draw out the oil change! haha)

Its just a prick they dont do it in bulk.

Cool. Post up in six months if you remember.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users