Newbie Needs Advice

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _Bigmac123_99_

_Bigmac123_99_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:52 PM

Hey guys,
i am new to the forum and am getting my new baby delivered to me on wednesday. She is An LH Sedan and i cant wait to start working on her.

well, i am asking people for advice because i also have a magna which is my everyday car while i get the rana on the road. because i have had all my experience with the magna i dont really know much about aussie engines.

so, i ned to know what i should be doin machanically wise, it has a 173??? i think which is on straight gas that has been changed from dual fuel recently so it is tuned to gas.

i dont know what i should drop in her, i have access to a 202 Blue. Are these engines any good?? do they need much work done so htey haul ass??

what am really after is a sleeper that will rhomp if i need her to. how much will i be looking at spending on the engine so she will smoke em up off the line easily.

thanks guys.
Chris

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:03 AM

Put the blue in, keep it stock except for extractors and exhaust mods. Look at cam maybe for straight gas. Carby should be ample. It won't be much of a sleeper though, but better than a 173. Keep your eye on the temp guage with a blue, they aren't as forgiving as a red.

#3 _Bigmac123_99_

_Bigmac123_99_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:33 AM

Yeah, but i want the car to look stock on the outside but have a hella good engine. i want something to rip off the line so i dont really mind about the money spent behind it.

what are some mods i should do to it??

#4 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:08 AM

Depends on your budget but if you're looking at the lower end of the scale do what rodomo said or put a 253 in the LH. Without knowing much else (mechanical experience etc) the Blue 202 would definately be the easiest option but it won't be amazing performance, just decent.

#5 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

drop in a 253 or 308 if you want performance, you can get a 253 for next to nothing these days

#6 _Bigmac123_99_

_Bigmac123_99_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

Flamenco, you said i would be able to get decent performance out of the 202? wat would you consider decent?
i dont want an F1 car i just want enough power to feel it push you back into your seats a bit. im not expecting too much coz ive been told that 202 can be decent if a couple of things are done.
and i cant put anything bigger then a 202 in because of the P plate restrictions. i am puting a 350 in her when i get my full lisenseb but i plan on driving it before then so i have to go a 202.
Performance wise, if i put my foot down flat i expect the wheels to spin fairly easily.

#7 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:46 PM

That's going to be a difficult ask for a 6.

If you're still on P plates, I'd suggest keeping the 173 dead stock, and spending your time and money on getting the rest of the car how you want it (paint, trim, wheels, brakes, suspension, etc), then at a later time, slotting in a mild 308. That way, you will have a nice looking car that you know a fair bit more about by the time it comes to doing an engine transplant. The 308 will bolt in with minimal mods and extra costs, and it's also much easier to get registered, as it's an option on that model.

If you have access to a blue 202, kep it as a spare, as if the 173 has been running on gas for a while, it might start to have valve and valve seat issues. The 202 is a better engine, but it's probably not worth changing over unless you have a problem with the 173.

#8 _Bigmac123_99_

_Bigmac123_99_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:14 PM

yeah i have beent hinking about this. but i really want something to go in it now. the 308 or wateva i choose will come later, i dont care wat the price, lol. all i know is that the current 173 isnt performing as well as i wouldlike the car to go, so the only option i can see is to get rid of it and spend some money.
all this aside, would a 202 blue be worth spending some money on? can theybe woked to be even above average given the right hardware??

#9 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

have a look at this, might give you an idea
Grunt Hunt

#10 _Bigmac123_99_

_Bigmac123_99_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

thanx buddy
im readnig it now, looks like it will come in handy.
thanks boss

#11 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

Thats a pretty good read Makka :spoton:

#12 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:51 PM

mate all depends upon u want... grunt and power go the 308 or 202. 253 are not that good.

if u dont want that then put in a 3.8 ltr comm engine. that will make her haul ass and wont drink too much

#13 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

thats what im planning to do is convert it over to a 3.8l Ecotec commodore engine. As 70rey said heaps of power around 150kw and also much better on fuel. The car will also be much more reliable. With fuel prices these days i think the "novalty" of a 351 or 308 will soon wear off, unless you convert it to LPG.

thanks ryan

#14 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

Ecotec 3.8's in Torana's run average fuel consumption of 8.5l/100km in the CITY... a good mate in brisvegas has one and rekons its well worth transplanting one in... He didnt tell me what he gets on the highway, but assuming that 8.5l/100km in a 5speed in the city, it'd be pretty damn good on the highway!

My 179 is putting out very similar power to an ecotec, but im using about 11l/100 in town and 8.5/100 on the highway - i think we have a winner with the commodore motor!! Unless you love the carby sound and just dont like the thought of a commodore 3.8l in your rana!

Keith

#15 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

:D 8.5l/100 is very good around the city. I would probably go down to about 7l/100 on the highways. Thats very similar to a new 4 cylinder.

thanks ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users