#1 _SSwampy_

_SSwampy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

I have a LX SS, and want to:
Fit my 14/10 HQ stud pattern wheels on the back
Fit my HZ rear discs
Retain banjo diff (for a while anyhow)

I have a pair of HZ disc 10 bolt diff axles I want to get cut down and resplined to fit the housing
I think the bearing size is the same.

Can anyone think of any reason why I couldnt get this to work with out me having to modify things too much.

Cheers,
Lyndon

#2 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:57 AM

PM Dattoman or Chopper.

#3 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:01 PM

if your going to the effort of getting axles cut down you may as well put in the whole 10 bolt, I have one in my sedan, a fair bit stronger than the old banjo!

#4 _SSwampy_

_SSwampy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

Well I have a spare 10 bolt laying around, but I dont have a pair of 1 tonner axles.
I dont want to change the tail shaft etc, I'm very budget orientated at the moment.

Cheers,
Lyndon

#5 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

I am pretty sure that you can use the same tailshaft when you go to 10 bolt. if you dont have axles, what are you planning on using in the banjo?

#6 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:19 PM

There is a another fix, shorten the ten bolt to suit. Get 2 ford 9inch short axels, you do not need to cut or spline. Put ford ends on the diff and change the stud pattern. They are very strong diffs then.

#7 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:21 PM

im doing a similar thing using vn commodore disc brake set up and i just got the discs re drilled to torana stud pattern so i wouldnt have to change any thing else it only cost me $40 per disc i reckon that would be cheaper then getting a set of axles shortened and resplined

#8 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:27 PM

I also heard that the short axle out of a VN is the right length to go into a 10 bolt in a torana

#9 _SSwampy_

_SSwampy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

The diameter of the splines on the banjo axles is smaller than the sedan type 10 bolt axle so I can shorten them to fit, I cant shorten the sedan axles to fit a narrowed 10 bolt housing.
Can any one think of any other reason this wont work?

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:49 PM

I'm fairly sure the hardening on the 10 bolt axles isn't all that deep. By machining them down to fit the banjo, you might get to the soft core of the axle.

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:58 AM

I once looked into fitted rear discs onto my SS. Rear discs were an option on LX, they used the same setup as on the UC, only the calipers were left to right. I'm fairly sure it would be a similar exercise to fitting the UC setup, only using the larger calipers and discs, welding and redrilling the axles. Having never done it, or looked that far into things, I couldn't be 100% sure.

#12 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:22 PM

I also heard that the short axle out of a VN is the right length to go into a 10 bolt in a torana

whilst i was waiting for my mark williams axles (8 week wait) needed to get my car on the ground, my diff guy had some stock commodore axles laying around (28 spline) I threw 1 straight in and the other 1 needed to be shortened and resplined.

In other words if you want commodore axles only 1 side needs to be shortened and resplined.

#13 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

so you could use 2 of the short ones then?

#14 red1a

red1a

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Car:lh torana slr

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:53 AM

gday
got a nine inch with HQ stud pattern can ya fit HZ,WB rear disc brakes to,its a LH torana 1975 with out any problems
cheers

#15 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:06 AM

bango axles are same length L/R. the larger diffs centre is off set so one axle is longer than the other.
the vn short axle is actually 10mm short for lh, lx track but still slides in far enough to run.
the SHORT axle is usually ran as the long one and the long one cut down for the short.

Edited by ALX76, 10 June 2006 - 01:07 AM.

#16 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:38 AM

bango axles are same length L/R. the larger diffs centre is off set so one axle is longer than the other.
the vn short axle is actually 10mm short for lh, lx track but still slides in far enough to run.
the SHORT axle is usually ran as the long one and the long one cut down for the short.

I would not be doing it this way. axles are a layered metal and spring in one way. if you swap sides then you will twist them effectively "the wrong way" and actually splinter the axle. if you run new axles then this is nto an issue as the axles has nto been twisted in use as yet.

If you are goign to run a second hand axle always try and run it on teh correct side. Otherwise things usually go bang in a big way...

Cheers

#17 _SSwampy_

_SSwampy_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:14 PM

After much thought on the subject, I have to decided to ditch the banjo all together, and go the 10 bolt option. Brocky reckons they are great in torana's and couldnt understand why race teams were putting in 9 inches. I could live with out the power sapping design of the 9 inch. Now i just have to keep my eyes out for a 1 tonner diff or a allready made 10 bolt.
I have a set of HQ stud pattern hotwires to fit so am not interested in commodore diffs.

Cheers
Lyndon

#18 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

After much thought on the subject, I have to decided to ditch the banjo all together, and go the 10 bolt option. Brocky reckons they are great in torana's and couldnt understand why race teams were putting in 9 inches. I could live with out the power sapping design of the 9 inch. Now i just have to keep my eyes out for a 1 tonner diff or a allready made 10 bolt.
I have a set of HQ stud pattern hotwires to fit so am not interested in commodore diffs.

Cheers
Lyndon

just make sure you go a 4 pinion type as the two pinion type are no stronger behind an 8 or heavy 6.

#19 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:51 PM

all 10 bolts that I have seen are only 2 pinion, its the BW,s that you could get 4 pinion

#20 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

all 10 bolts that I have seen are only 2 pinion, its the BW,s that you could get 4 pinion

Correct. The 10 bolt sals has a different crown wheel and pinion this by no means is anything like the 8 bolt and banjo which use the same crown wheel and pinion. So the extra sthrength comes for the different internals of the 10 bolt. you cannot make a 8 bolt into a 10 bolt. I have been told that you can get a VP bw centre into a 10 bolt sals housing but have never tried it..

Cheers

Remove the backing plate and count the crown wheel bolts. there shoudl be 10 :D

#21 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:59 PM

If you do put the HZ discs on the Torana rear, make sure you get the longer backing plate bolts (with the large head with the flat side) and the 10mm spacer ring from the HZ disc brake setup as the Torana setup doesn't have them and I can't find where to buy these bolts. The wheel studs are longer too if you are changing them for new ones.

I wouldn't use a cut and resplined axle at all if using an LSD or a locker after having experiencing one let go under full power.
You are seriously weakening the axle when it is resplined.

Then again - no worse than the standard Torana axles.

M@

#22 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:20 PM

If you do put the HZ discs on the Torana rear, make sure you get the longer backing plate bolts (with the large head with the flat side) and the 10mm spacer ring from the HZ disc brake setup as the Torana setup doesn't have them and I can't find where to buy these bolts. The wheel studs are longer too if you are changing them for new ones.

I wouldn't use a cut and resplined axle at all if using an LSD or a locker after having experiencing one let go under full power.
You are seriously weakening the axle when it is resplined.

Then again - no worse than the standard Torana axles.

M@

It al depends on the resplining process. there is backyard, there is dogdey then there is proper resplining. I suggest that you got the dodgey option. How do you think teh factor splines axles??? It is not rocket science...

Cheers

#23 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

They roll the splines in if they are to be strong axles - and they are raised so the root of the spline is larger than the diameter of the rest of the axle so the stress doesnt concentrate in the weakest part i.e. the spline.'

#24 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:40 PM

They roll the splines in if they are to be strong axles - and they are raised so the root of the spline is larger than the diameter of the rest of the axle so the stress doesnt concentrate in the weakest part i.e. the spline.'

Correct this is the correct way.

Cheers

#25 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

where would i get this done and how much roughly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users