Twin exhaust size.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:14 PM

Hi Guys and Gals,
Just after your thoughts on what you would recommend in size for a twin exhaust.
I have a Lx Sedan with Mild worked 308 motor About 320 hp. I am going with a twin system but am unsure whether to go twin 2", 2- 1/2 or 2- 1/4 pipes.
I would like to know your thought as I have been told many varying reasons for differnt sizes and am now overwhelmed with info.
I would prefer to hear it from you guys as you drive torries everyday and, As far as I am concerned experience pays off.
Mainly after what sounds better and what performs better with my motor.

Cheers
mick

#2 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

My 300 horse 308 I'm going twin 2 1/4", that's what has been recommeded around here and at the exhaust place I will be going to.

#3 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

I had a 304ci in my LH that produced about 350hp, the system was twin 2 1/4" to the diff with 2 1/2" tail pipes. Theree was a crossover pipe after the Genie extractors and 2 S/S Magnaflow mufflers. System worked well and sounded great.

#4 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

Mild 308 Daily Driver

PaceMaker Tri-Y's, Balance pipe (not X), Dual 2.25" Under the diff.

Here's a vid of mine idling for a sec then taking off, decide for yourself if you like it or not *shrugs*
Most of the note you get is going to come from the mufflers you get anyway.

85kb quicktime vid ::

http://users.bigpond...kiLHTakeoff.3gp

#5 _Torana/Fan_

_Torana/Fan_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

I had pacemaker tri-y's into twin 2 1/2 with x pice then 2'' after mufflers out to factory possition that could be unbolted if needed :spoton:

Mine mad 350hp and it worked well, car did feel better with the 2'' silencers off but it just might have been that it was louder, but would keep cops off your back even if it was alittle over the limit.

#6 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

My engine developes around the same power as yours. I currently run a dual 2" with extractors and 'x' pipe and it is perfect for the engine. It is also legal noise level. It originally had a dual 2.25 system and I lost nothing on the dyno going to the smaller system. Both readings were identical. It actually sounds a lot better than the larger system too especially on the dyno at full revs..

Cheers Redslur.

#7 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

Ok have spoken to another exhaust bloke that does mainly hot cars and has Suggested that to make good power with my motor ( more work to be done in the future) I go with 2 1/2 twins from extractors to mufflers with 2 1/4 tailpipes with a X pipe and hooker mufflers.

He reckons these mufflers make good power and are pretty quiet at high revs.

He has done similar exhausts on torries that run anything from 13's to Tens on the track, so i guess I will see what happens.
Thanks for your imput guys. My systen will be simular to most by the looks of it.

#8 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:25 PM

The brand new system I purchased on the weekend is dual 2" over the axle :P -
Lukey mufflers. It should be very adequate but then again I don't have a 10 second street car with a 20K engine :) yes I got the system at a very good price! It was an unwanted order.

Now this is slightly off topic but hopefully in the same vein - it is regarding the X rather than the balance pipe and running neither.
I know the X is said to give more power... Has anyone run without either? I know it idles lumpier without but is there a real downside to this idea? Any pro's? and there are bound to be some cons mentioned.

Cheers
Herne

#9 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:08 PM

I havnt got any sort of balance or x pipe on mine, and it sounds pretty good, I dont know how it would compare power wise to a x or balance pipe though, there is a bit of a difference apparently

#10 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:23 PM

Hi Makka, yeah I am 'guessing' (note no science degree or slide rule) lol. that there may be a couple of horsepower difference if you have the X or even a balance pipe.

Does your car idle a tad lumpier due to this? Have you noticed?

Cheers
Herne

#11 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:34 PM

i havnt ever had a balance pipe on there so I cant really compare it to anything, but it does sound nice. my mate had to put a balance pipe on his kingswood and it made it a little quieter and not as 'lumpy'

#12 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the response Makka.

I will run the 2" as purchased with no X or balance pipe.

Cheers
Herne

#13 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:56 PM

thats what I have and it sounds good with the 253

0 user(s) are reading this topic