#251 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

Just come in from the shed after more trouble shooting, When I was assembling the engine I decided to send the injectors to a fellow mechanic up the road as he had a new injector rig to service them. I used to just put them in a vice, put a couple of squirts of carby clean down the inlet, hit them with air while tapping the wires on a 12 volt power supply and check the spray pattern. This time I thought I would get them tested using the correct gear. I know the injectors have been sitting in the engine for some time but the fuel system has all been capped.

Anyway I checked the resistance on all the injectors 14-16 ohms all OK then give them a tap on the 12 volt battery and what do you know only Number 7 cylinder injector was working the other 7 injectors will not open and must have the plungers stuck shut. Using carby clean and 125 P.S.I still can't make them open. I am letting them soak in cleaning fluid but not very hopeful in getting them to work again. At least it would appear that this is the problem.

Its about the only mechanical thing I have sent out, maybe I should have just checked them my way. 

Attached Files

#252 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hope you can get them fixed Len.

Sometimes it is better to do it yourself.

#253 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:01 AM

Bugger. You could try reverse flushing them (I don't think I'd use 125psi though!) but doesn't sound too promising.

LS1 injectors are pretty cheap second hand and a good upgrade if you can modify the tune

#254 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

The over night soak and a few hard taps on the wooden bench then flicked power off and on while giving them a blast of high pressure air and the 7 injectors started working. Finally got good spray patterns. Stuck them back in. Bleed the system into a plastic container and hit the key, she only did a half a turn on the crank and started Yeeeeehaaaaa

What a bloody relief, it was around three years ago since I had the engine apart and when problems arise like this one you start second guessing your work. Anyway she is running sweet, the engine idle and cold start systems are all working sweet and the tacko and all the gauges are also working correctly. Cant run it to long hasn't got any exhaust beyond the collectors. Time to send it to the exhaust shop to get the rest of the system completed.

Attached Files

#255 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

Well there you go, nice

#256 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

Good stuff Len.

Bet you were a happy chappy when it fired up.

#257 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:29 PM

Excellent. :-)

#258 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

The Torrie is ready to go out for the exhaust so I decided to do a bit more on the man cave in the mean time.

Attached Files

#259 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

Got the torrie back from the exhaust centre. Sounds great, but now I can hear the bloody brake booster is leaking vacuum when I press on the pedal. I removed the booster and stripped it to check what the fault was. (split diaphragm and badly rusted inside)

I purchased this booster from a company who said it was stripped, checked and tested. I checked to make sure it held vacuum before I got it painted but didn't push the input shaft in to check the opposite side operation. I purchased the UC style booster so I could use the late model master cylinder combination.

Christ I am a slow learner. I just have to do every thing myself or it seems to give me grief.

I made up a big bar and stripped it myself. I still had the original LH booster so I also stripped it and used the internals as the original booster only had 83,000 km on it and was like new inside. Refitted the booster and all good now. Bit more wiring to do, alarm central locking and the radio and I can start installing the interior.

Attached Files

#260 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,065 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

It is amazing how "rebuilt" can mean a coat of black paint.

#261 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

It's like a reconditioned gearbox is just a coat of silver paint, 5 minute reco.
The old saying "if u want it done right u have to do it yourself"

#262 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

Got around to finishing off a few things this week, I scored a coolant overflow bottle from a Suzuki Vitara which fits perfect in this spot and looks factory. Just had to make a small bracket that the bottle slips into, easy to make. The Torrie is starting to look like a car again and I can finally start to see the end of the tunnel. Alarm system next then the interior installation and finish off the Air con hoses. cant wait to start driving it soon. Feels like it has taken me forever to get to this stage.

Attached Files

#263 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

It's looking good now. 

I like the stance and the dish on the rear wheels.  :spoton:

#264 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:03 AM

Bottle looks good with the hidden bracket, I'm always jealous of people who have the self-discipline to keep their sheds clean too!

#265 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

Thanks to Cools auto trims I now have four new door trims.

Attached Files

#266 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

If we asked every forum member who has been stiffed by some dud reconditioned/fixed part to form a queue it would be a very long queue.....

#267 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

:drool: 

Just lovely! 

#268 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

Finally got around to fitting up the alarm system, battery isolation switch and decided to go with an auto boot release which took quite a bit of rooting around to make it work with the Torana lock system, and works through the alarm remote. The alarm system has heaps of features which I have adapted to suit my needs. The system has 2 way communications which allows me to use the Mobile phone to do extra tasks away from the car, and has three separate out put relays to control security features that no thief would like to contend with. I have to be very carful myself when I disarm the car. I am not going into any details because that would be stupid of me to give any tips to thieves.

I reconfigured the dash so the engine check light is hooked up to the brake fail lamp, and the brake fail & park brake light work in conjunction with each other. The brake fail system light is a joke anyway as you know there is a brake problem before the light comes on anyway due to the pedal going down half way, in any case it will still bring on the park brake light as a warning.

Tacko Help

When I installed the dash for a final checks I noticed the tacko wasn't reading very accurately. I double checked that it was set on V8 but reads around 500rpm to low at 2000rpm. example 2,000rpm on Torana tacko actual 2,485rmp on scan tool. and is around 150rpm out at idle.

Does anyone know if they are adjustable.

Attached Files

#269 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

Nice work, do you have an interior button for boot release? or just on remote

#270 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:11 AM

Yep internal button boot release catered for.

#271 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

Ok the tacho got the better of me so I removed it from the dash and spotted a POT inside. Hooked it up to the two wires (pulse & earth) and ran the engine while checking the correct R.P.M on the san tool.

The POT had a bit of varnish on it to keep it in place from the factory calibration, so it was a bit stiff to move at first but once it moved I was able to change the calibration a fair bit. + or - around 1,000 R.P.M. The needle is reading accurate from 750-4,000 R.P.M, It is a fraction out over 4,000 but I don't plan on driving it over that speed very often so I wont bother me. You can see in the photo that the adjustment calibration pot is marked with 2K.   

Attached Files

#272 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

Finally got around to putting the dash back together, Yes I know its got a hatch console in it but I much prefer the hatch console. Its give me the room I need to fit the extra fan, intermittent wiper control, clock & a spare, and also covers up some of the air-conditioning ducts and the E.C.M The E.C.M is still on the floor because I still need to hook up the A/C request circuit.

Had the engineer come over yesterday to finalise the report, only got me on three small thing that I knew about but didn't get around to them before he turned up. It went for its first road test and drove sweet and past the brake performance test.

All going well down for the blue slip next week.   

Attached Files

#273 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

Mate, top job on the car, it looks mint. Build threads like this one and Martys are great to read and look back on.

#274 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

Great news Lenny, I am not surprised it got through so easily, it's a top build, from which I have pinched many ideas. Looking forward to seeing it at the next show!

#275 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

+1 Great car and build thread.

I prefer the hatch console too and have a modified one in mine to cover the ECU also :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users