Diff Yoke

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _Aidan_

_Aidan_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

Hey guys I'm going to be swapping diffs in my uc as the old one is buggered, the diff I'm putting in has a bigger yoke (to take larger uni's), before I remove it is there any concerns I should have? Will it affect any internal diff components? I realise they have a very high torque setting, so I will be fabricating a long socket extension with a decent size handle/lever...but I will see if my rachet gun will get it off first.

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:10 AM

Aidan,

last time I checked your car you had a v8, it would be of benifit to run teh bigger unis. The other concern is this actually places a preload on the pinion bearings and crush tube. This therefore helps with the tooth messing in teh diff. get this wrong and you will wear both the diff gears and teh bearings quickly. Banjos run a 12 pound torque for turning. This means you need to measure the torque on the bolt while it turns the diff. If measurering this then you are actually measuring the drag on the bearing and crush tube. too much and you have it too tight and therefore crushed the crush tube more than normal and thus pulled the pinion in a little more (teeth not messing correctly) next is if you are not tight enough where the pinion will actually move and chew out the bearings.

Cheers

#3 _uc253_

_uc253_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

Right thanks oldn64 it'll probably end up cheaper (by the time I buy a torque wretch etc) to use the tailshaft with the bigger uni's and convert the slip yoke to suit a trimatic (currently suits supra 5 speed)

Thanks.

ps.. wrong account, this is my dads

Edited by uc253, 01 June 2006 - 07:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users