A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi all.

Going to put aircon in the project 4 door.

Any Makes/Models to look out for
Any experiences recently
Any suggestions

Anything ?

Ta

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Just by a vintage air

Or copy what Jeff did in his hatch

#3 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm also interested in this one, Neil.

Which Vintage air model best suits and where is jeffs link?

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

What about original integrated. UC 6cyl is the same as LH-LX V8. Even the control switch is the same, just has a different mounting.

#5 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

I do remember seeing an under dash unit that looked like a Torana LH heater box which was a heat/cool unit, had front vents and outlets on top meant for hotrod use.
I cant remember where I saw it but looked like a great replacement for the old torana heater box.
Anyone else got info?

#6 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

What about original integrated. UC 6cyl is the same as LH-LX V8. Even the control switch is the same, just has a different mounting.

Factory Air in LX has vac controls and 4 speed fan, not sure about UC but as the dash is different cant see that UC setup would swap over as direct replacement, could be wrong on the last point? only my opinion.

#7 _Greg313662_

_Greg313662_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I had air con in my SS (July '76 build) and all that is left is the under (passenger side) dash fan unit left. I have pics of when it was all complete but i threw out the compressor and brackets as the compressor had a bent shaft that would shake the whole car when actuated. I have an original "Holden Integrated Air Conditioning" booklet which shows a date of 13-12-77 at 24054 kilometres and a dealer stamp. It is not he "Integrated" unit as per my original handbook but as a fellow member pointed out: "it is the Air-International system which was as sold the GM-Approved dealer-fitted unit. It is not integrated with the heater/demister system as the Frigidaire one is, it is basically a custom-fit underdash unit designed to complement the LH/LX/UC Torana dash."

Anyway here's a couple of pics....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

Its just the "hard to find" and the "30+ years old" factor that makes me mention the Vintage air system

http://www.ebay.com....aa#ht_646wt_983

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.gmh-toran...ia/page__st__75

That thread has a lot of good info in it

If a yank can do it... so can we

#9 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

I'm looking at the vintage air 61005-vuz-a the Gen 2 super with defrost for a HQ after trying as failing so far to find something with the rqired height to fit under the dash. I wanting something to itergrate with the factory dash vents but be a bit more like a modern system. The price form the us seams OK but are around $1000 here.

What height do yu have between the trans tunnel and the Plenum? Most oe hvac units are around 400 mm high which is why nothing I've found so far fits in a q, it has only 200mm.

Edited by 1uzbt1, 30 January 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#10 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...a/page__st__100

Part way down the page
Underdash shots

#11 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

If a yank can do it... so can we

Not quite sure how to take that....

:P

Oh, and just holler with any questions. I am really happy with how the air turned out, and it works excellent as well. (still working too so guess all the lines I made and crimped myself aren't leaking...lol)

Edited by LS1 Hatch, 31 January 2012 - 01:46 AM.

#12 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:33 AM

Axistr used the A/C out of a 1997 Toyota 4X4 SR5 Diesel Hilux. Pictures from cardomain

Posted Image

I have had three different systems on my hatch over the years.

The first used the standard under dash A/C mounted under the glove box with an extension to the middle of the car. Similar to this for the post above. This style was still available a couple of years ago. This worked fine but in my opinion it takes up to much space in the passenger compartment.

Posted Image

The second system I had used an aftermarket A/C evaporator from a HJ mounted in front of the standard fan under the glove box. I basically removed the plastic elbow and fitted the evaporator in its place. The fan sucked though the evaporator instead of from the plenum chamber. This worked ok but the air was heated as it went through the duct in the engine bay. If you fit a system to blow through the factory heater box then you will need to seal the factory heater box and fit drains. Eventually even with the drains the standard heater box suffered from condensation mould was a problem. Passenger legroom was improved and the evaporator was not as obvious as the first system.

The current plan uses a modified under dash heat and cool.The good points are that it does not interfere with the passenger compartment and you can toss the factory heater and fan ducting. I made an extension between the evaporator and the vents so I could mount the demister ducts. It was a Hot Rod Air Heat and Cool 50-00007 although I think they have folded. Vintage air have something similar as do a few other manufacturers. It could be made to work with the hatch style console but I prefer the sedan style console.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 31 January 2012 - 02:40 AM.

#13 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

Factory Air in LX has vac controls and 4 speed fan, not sure about UC but as the dash is different cant see that UC setup would swap over as direct replacement, could be wrong on the last point? only my opinion.

They are basically identical. LH-LX 6cyl was different to the V8 setup on the evaporator housing under the bonnet. UC is the same as LH-LX V8. The only bit diffrerent inside is the fascia of the controller in the dash. I can't remember if the ducting is totally the same but there isn't much difference.

Edited by yel327, 31 January 2012 - 05:12 AM.

#14 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

This worked fine but in my opinion it takes up to much space in the passenger compartment.

The OP might consider removing the internals of the glovebox to get more room for whatever system they use, one can always find somewhere else to store the few bits of junk you put in there. Also remove the air duct for the left hand dash ventilation vent(block off at plenum) will give more room and wont be necessary if one has air.

The factory integrated systems didnt use the side dash vents for these either, only the central unit which allowed either flow to the floor, screen or centre vents.

If you fit a system to blow through the factory heater box then you will need to seal the factory heater box and fit drains. Eventually even with the drains the standard heater box suffered from condensation mould was a problem.

Willing to be corrected here, but the factory systems did not have any drain coming from the heater box, only from under the condensor.

The key to avoiding mould,/dampness in any ac system is to not run the system then not use it for days on end. Good practice should be to switch off the compressor and run the fan at full speed with fresh air for at least 3 or 4 mins before shutting the system down for any length of time over 12 hours or more..

The fact systems also didnt have the evaporators hover near the freezing mark like the aftermarket cycling units do and were less prone to producing condensation

Its just the "hard to find" and the "30+ years old" factor that makes me mention the Vintage air system: datto

Very valid point, and given the OP has a project with an unknown engine arrangement, fitting the factory airbox could be a problem. The other concern is that getting the fact systems to work effectively on r134A refrigerant is a fine art and indeed if any of the working needs repair there aren't any people in this country that have the knowledge to do it. The newer generic systems are more simple and understood by most car aircon places.

AFAIK everything is the same except that the control panel is mounted on the right hand side of the steering column for LX/LH, this would obviously mean that if using the original looms and vac hoses that some may not reach the relevant points, but could be easily fixed with more wire/tubing.

The more problematical item would be the cable that controls the flap for screen floor and centre, a longer cable would most likely be needed if using UC controls for LH, but the existing cable on the non ac LH unit should just be a direct swap over.

Edited by torbirdie, 31 January 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#15 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

I got rid of my glovebox as well...I could have squeezed everything in around it I reckon (tightly) but I just found it easier to have the room and have some electronics there anyways (fuel pump and cooling fans controllers..)

I didn't bother with trying to squeeze and a/c-heater unit under the center of the dash, since figured how I mounted it still gives plenty of leg room on the passenger side, and I just used the area in front of the console for the ECM and some other things. I made my own center duct plenum and so the console looks pretty stock where the original vents went. Then aside from blowing out there, mine also feeds both sides of the fresh air dash vents, plus of course defrost when switched over as well.

#16 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Speedy Air Spares do underdash Air Conditioning units. Mrlctorana (SLR6000) is using it. From Bundaberg QLD.

http://speedyairspares.com.au/

#17 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

The more problematical item would be the cable that controls the flap for screen floor and centre, a longer cable would most likely be needed if using UC controls for LH, but the existing cable on the non ac LH unit should just be a direct swap over.

Brain fade: the directional flaps are controlled by vac servos, now whats the cablee do? from memory its a flap that varies the amount of air that goes through the heater core, which is basically the heat lever control.

#18 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

This biggest problems with the factory integrated A/C system is that they are an ugly monstrosity that do not leave enough room under the bonnet for an engine.

#19 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

The dealer unit originally fitted to my car, replaces JUST the plenum elbow under the glove box. It is the neatest one I have ever seen within the car.

The arrangement in the engine bay is like the normal aftermarket arrangement with the compressor on the passenger side. Lots of ugly rubber hoses and crap.

#20 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

The dealer unit originally fitted to my car, replaces JUST the plenum elbow under the glove box. It is the neatest one I have ever seen within the car.

The arrangement in the engine bay is like the normal aftermarket arrangement with the compressor on the passenger side. Lots of ugly rubber hoses and crap.

My friend had one like that too on his 6cyl which I kept. There was a plastic cover that covered the plenum hole, the unit sat in front of the fan intake.
There is a small panel with thermostat control that screwed under the dash.
Important to this setup was a plastic cover with insulation that went over the fan assembly in the engine bay to insulate the engine heat from the cold air passing to the heater box.
The only problem I saw with this setup was, it didnt have a heater tap.

#21 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

OK, good info everyone.

Clearly some further research needed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic