4 replies to this topic

#1 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hi all,
my lecturer at TAFE today asked me about ignition timing on a 350 chev engine,
I said not sure,
Anyone know the base advance degree and dwell angle for a 350 chev?
Cheers
Chris.

ps is not a standard cam I think,
so how much extra to you give for the cam grind?

#2 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

the standard ignition timing for a 350 chev is 4 deg btdc in regards to your cam i still think the best way to set your timing is with a vacum gauge, most reliable way i know of

#3 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:33 PM

Hi Guys.

This is an excellent example of the need to regraph the dissy to suit a new camshaft.

Here's the problem. Standard Chev 350 (we will assume a pre-pollution version '68-'71) is around 4 degrees, the mechanical advance in the dissy is around 30-32 degrees. That means the max mechanical advance will be around 34 to 36 degrees, which is about right for a motor like a SB Chev V8.

The new cam will need around 10 degrees initial ignition timing, because it will have a longer duration than the stock cam & will start & idle better at 10 degrees, otherwise your manifold vacuum & low down torque will be awful. If you advance the stock dissy to 10 degrees, you will then have 40 to 42 degrees of advance at high speed, it will detonate & ping like mad.

You need about 6 degrees LESS mechanical advance in the dissy, so it will still idle & drive low down well & still have 34 to 36 degrees up top.

The basic rule is, the bigger the cam, then the more initial timing is needed, therefore LESS advance is required inside the dissy itself, to maintain the same total.

When I ran my 350 Monaro drag car, we had a very unstreetable roller cam with around 600 thou lift. We used 22 degrees initial timing & only 16 inside the dissy. 38 degrees total is about all an NA Chev will with stand on pump gas.

Dr Terry

#4 _big chris_

_big chris_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

thanks Dr Terry,
will tell him tomorow,
The torana forum is a great wealth of knowledge
Cheers
Chris.

#5 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:50 AM

Hi again Chris.

I did forget that you asked about point dwell. If it's an original Delco dissy the factory specis 27 to 31 degrees.

Dr Terry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users