6cyl rebuild query

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

Just pulled the old 6cyl out of the shed and thinking of supercharging it!!$2000 accessory from castlemain rodshop!For the meantime its a bit wild has 35/75 solid cam and sb chev solid lifters ,crow double reinforced shot peened pushrods ,186 HC Head fullty worked ,yella terra 1.6 rollers,double valve springs,crow adjustable timing gears,recurved dizzy,electronic ignition,accell coil,40 thou racin pistons ,romac race harmonic balancer,lightened fly wheel ,triple 1' 3/4 carbies fully rebuilt,full balance on motor was running straight AVGAS when you could buy it but now was thinking of running it on the cat piss BP ultimate 98 ,bought a head shim 1.6m thick anyone got any ideas on how to run it off pump fuel??Was thinking of changing the cam as well but not too sure?? :furious:

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

If it won't run on pump fuel I would change the head instead of running a spacer.

#3 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:46 PM

If it won't run on pump fuel I would change the head instead of running a spacer.

!00% on what I would do... Plus a 1.6m shim is huge... the head would be out of the bonnet... ;)

Cheers

#4 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:03 PM

oldn 64, I think he means 1.6mm not 1.6 metres wich would probably only allow small boost.

what rockers do you have, A easy way out might be to fit a lower compression head of a efi vk motor and use a vk efi inlet manifold and (probably the alternator barackets) These heads flow well standard but I ended up spending around $1500 on getting mine cc'd, ported, etc, you will also need to get it machined for the rockers.
If you use the vk inlet manifold it can be deducted from the cost of the kit but it might also be worth making the brackets yourself and having a pulley machined.
I saw a pulley set up using a 3800 v6 outer on a red inner harmonic balencer and matching pulleys on the water pump and alternator so it only used one belt and worked better than a v belt set up. I think the balecer was a 1 off custom job from ross. its also recomended to put a bolt through the end of the crank to keep the balancer coming off.
if you are striping the motor get it o ringed and decked to help it hold in the pressure, also use dished pistons and maybe get the top dished further.
if you are having trouble with pump fuel you could maybe add water / mathanol injection.
also if you use the black head you can use the a/c compressor bolt holes to mount a sturdier bracket from.
use a very mild, standard or supercharger cam, I am using a solid supercharger cam from camtech.
They say these will run fine on a standard motor at low boost but since I plan for bigger boost I got my chambers cc'd, 1.6 copper head gasket and dished acl race series pistons (offcourse forged would be ultimate) wich I had machined deeper.
I am also using water methanol injection and crane hi 6 trc 2 ignition to help it run on pump fuel.

#5 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

Cheers a mate of a mates had a similar motor to mine and changed the lifters and cam to suit a supercharger ,opted for a 350 holly on the charger he seems to be spinning belts off left right and centre he goin to run double belts instead .Just trying to get this old girl barkin again on pump fuel and then supercharge later on down the track

#6 _FCCOOL_

_FCCOOL_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

if it requires higher octane fuel now its going to need alot of compression dropping.
things that can help run on pump fuel are better ignition like a multi spark such as a crane hi 6 or msd 6al, mine has a timing retard controller so i can drop the timing in the car as i drive, also water injection wich is mainly used on turbo and supercharges cars can help run on lower ron fuel.

if going vee belts you need 2 belts unless you are running 3 or less psi, back when alternative belts cost a arm and a leg, (eg gilmour belts) They would run 5 or 6 vee belts on v8 engines. A single belt will not be able to transfer the power and slip and burn, if the supercharger is not lined up with the other pulleys it will run the belts of the pulleys.
if you want to supercharge you will need to loose that compression, it should be able to run on standard unleaded with no problems before you put the supercharger on. doing this now will make it easier later but you wont have much power till the supercharger goes on.
may even be worth starting over with another motor and maybe use your conrods and rockers.
I spent $3500 on my motor 8 years ago and a further $6000in the last 12 months, even if i started with a standard motor it would have cost me $6000 so the initial 3500 was wasted.
the cost of building a motor can be a turn off but if you take your time, change your diet and lifestyle and drink woodstock instead of jim beam then eventually it gets paid off.
you could also start with a second hand motor and supercharge it just to get the supercharging side sorted out and then build up a motor to put in when the stocker blows up

#7 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:51 PM

True might have to change the diet will see how the bitch runs when i slap her back together and kick her in the guts ,currently whacking in the 5 spd sick of blowin up aussie 4 spds ,so far 3 this year next to blow will be the 3.55 bango ,just not sure about which speedo cable to use for the box the celica or holden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users