Group C Opel Monza build by Dirtbag

• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#201 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Yeah awesome. The guard modification and rust repairs are super neat. Can't wait to see it with the Commodore taillights. I take it you're going more of a VH theme with this than a VK theme?

#202 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Yeah definitely VH. VK's are pretty ugly.

#203 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

I was hoping you'd go UC stiyle :spoton:

You should still have some lying around somewhere.

#204 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hahaha Potta, that's what I should have done : )

#205 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

OK, so I finally made a start on the rear end. I started by having a bit of a look over the rear clip I bought to see how much of it I could use. It's pretty crappy really but the main bits I need are fine. Plus there's not exactly a huge selection of early commodores around here that I can cut up : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

The lower section is pretty knackered, but I have a feeling it's going to be too short anyway to I'll just make a new piece for there.

First job on the car was removing the fuel tank. What a mission. Took an hour to undo 4 bolts! Damn old rusty cars hahaha!!!!

Posted Image

Then I finally got to start chopping the outer skin off.

Posted Image

I've started a "chopped off bits" pile on the floor : )

Posted Image

The owner wants a flat floor in the back so I can make up a nice big drop tank for underneath so the spare wheel well had to go.

Posted Image

All the inner surfaces are pretty stuffed, and I don't want to have exhaust cut outs in the rear panel anyway so I'm going to get rid of all the inner parts as well.

Posted Image

This is looking up at the inside of the drivers quarter and boot floor. Nice : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next job I did was to cut the old floor out of the commodore rear clip.

Posted Image

I've kept the inner panel that mounts the tail lights for now, but I have a feeling this will need to get cut out to fit properly, as I don't want to cut the inner panel out of the monza as the hatch latches mount there.

Posted Image

The inside of the lower part of the rear clip has had some dodgy repairs so I'll definitely be cutting the whole lower part off.

Posted Image

After making some measurements I found I need to cut 2 1/2 inches from the end of the boot floor and chassis rails on the monza, as the back of the monza tapers outwards from top to bottom whereas the commodore tucks in at the bottom.

Posted Image

First trial fit was as successful as I'd have thought. At least I know the amount I need to cut off is correct. Doing the trial fit before cutting the chassis is a good move : )

Posted Image

The lip that usually mounts the boot rubber on the commodore has to go, as does the section inside I kept that the tail lights mount to. However it looks like once the rear is in place I'll be able to use the monza inner panel to mount the tail lights instead. Yay! : )

Posted Image

The pile is growing hahaha!

Posted Image

So once I cut 2 1/2 inches off the floor and chassis and cut the inner parts out of the commodore clip things started to look good.

Posted Image

OK, so with the outer part looking like it'll fit I need to make the inner parts. I started by welding a piece of thick wall RHS between the chassis rails. It didn't used to have this brace, but I figure it'll be a good place to mount the drop tank straps.

Posted Image

I then made up the inner panel that joins the boot floor to the lower part of the outer panel that I've yet to make. You can see where I've welded the ends of the chassis rails to this piece as well.

Posted Image

I made the new inner panel with the same slight curve that the old panel had.

Posted Image

It's definitely not pretty but here you can see where the new inner panel is welded to the chassis rail, boot floor and inner rear quarter panel.

Posted Image

I gave it a but of a sand up as I'll etch prime this before I weld the new lower section on. I also need to connect the monza inner panel to the boot floor. I'll do that once the outer pieces are all in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally I cut the bottom of the rear clip off and tacked the top part into place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wish I had a rear bumper to put on it!!! I like how the rear has a shorter look now. The steel bumper will help too.

Posted Image

Monza with commodore bum and UC with firebird bum : )

Posted Image

Obviously there's still all the rust repairs and guard cutting to do on this side, but even with it just looking stock on this side I think the VH tail lights are an improvement. I'll be getting rid of the fuel filler from the quarter too.

Posted Image

So that's all I have done so far. Doesn't look much but this crap takes a while. Tomorrow I'll make the new lower valance and hopefully the corner pieces too. See how I go. As for how it looks, well I really like the new rear clip in place. I really don't have much love for the original monza rear.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So there you go ; )

#206 YELLAcakeu308

YELLAcakeu308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Name:ben
  • Car:A10X

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

amazing....... lost for words

#207 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Tim, you are the chuck norris of metalwork.

#208 fenz

fenz

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:LJ 2 door and UC V8 4door

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Should look sweet with some big boots inside those wheel wells.Spotto another torry on the hoist??

#209 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

you have mail :clappin:

#210 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Amazing work again. Thanks for sharing. Jeez your shed is starting to look pretty full!

#211 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

I reckon VB Commo Tail Lights would suit it too... do you have any around to sit in for a look?

#212 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi Daniel, yes I agree I think the VC ones are nicer but I reckon the VH ones suit the VH front better. As for having some VC tail lights to try, afraid not.

#213 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

OK well I did a bit more today on the old beasty. I was going to start by making the new lower valance but I decided I'd weld the top half on a bit better and make it pretty looking : )

Posted Image

The commodore boot opening is wider than the monza hatch opening meaning there was a gap on each side that needed filling above the tail light.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

By keeping that top section of the commodore rear clip above the tail light means the tail light doesn't stick out any further than it would do on a commodore.

Posted Image

I also welded the commodore piece to the monza section above the tail light, I left a step in there as I think it looks good and a has a more factory look to it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Because I kept the top of the commodore panel above the tail light means the tail light is lower than the monza tail lights. I think this helps the look, but means I'll have to extend the lower edge of the hatch to suit. It wont be difficult and it'll help to integrate the tail lights into the rear better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the hatch has the extra 10mm on the lower edge it'll stop the tail lights looking like they stick out so much. But let's face it, when they don't have the chrome trims around them they stick out on commodores anyway, so this'll be fine in my opinion.

Posted Image

OK, next job was to make the new lower valance. I folded a return on a sheet of 1.2mm zinc then shrunk it to get the same curve that I put in the new inner panel I made yesterday.

Posted Image

I then used the english wheel to put some crown in the panel, so it doesn't just look like a flat piece across the back.

Posted Image

It's not much crown, just the same as what it had originally.

Posted Image

I sprayed a bit of acid etch onto the inner surface before welding the new outer piece on.

Posted Image

This shows how mild the curve is in the panel, but if it were just flat it would look tacky.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ready for more plug welds : )

Posted Image

I'm happy enough with the shape of the new panel.

Posted Image

Welded on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#214 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

It's funny how much work has gone into making it look like an old dunger! Oh well, that's always the way : )

Posted Image

I then started on the corner piece. I'm cheating here and doing it in two pieces.

Posted Image

I really like the look of not having an exhaust cut out, as it's going to be running a drop tank and I'm hoping twin pipes like a torana.

Posted Image

I like the new side profile with the short bum. i think it makes the factory spoiler look a lot bigger and nicer.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've still got plenty of work to do in here.

Posted Image

Well I'm sure there'll be plenty of you that don't like it, but I do. I cant wait to see it with a bumper on it! And some decent wheels : )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a good reference point.

Posted Image

So that's it for today.

#215 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Love it! Sitting on the ground with decent wheels filling the flairs will complete it I reckon.

#216 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Wow it looks so much shorter ( & better) with the Commy ass & the flared wheel arch.
Great work Tim.

#217 YELLAcakeu308

YELLAcakeu308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

sweet

#218 SHEEL

SHEEL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

looks awesome I reckon. Can't wait to see it with bumper and nice wheels...

I love how you can just imagine something in your head and a few days later there is is right in front of you!

Dirtbag the artist!!

#219 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

This is a dumb question from a non-commodore expert,but are the rear panels on VBs and VHs different to accept the different tail lights?

#220 YELLAcakeu308

YELLAcakeu308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

wot179, it wasnt pretty but i remember seeing vk tail lights on a vb once.. Or maybe it was just a bad dream

#221 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm pretty sure VB-VK are the same, except on VH and VK the pins for the tail light trims are in a different spot. I could be wrong though, as I'm a bit of a dumb ass : )

#222 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

I borrowed an old crappy rear bumper from a friend last night so I could have a quick look. It's missing one of the plastic ends and is pretty beat up but it gives a bit of an idea as to how it'll look. I really like it!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the playing around with the bumper finished I thought I'd finishe the corner. I cut the hole a bit bigger to make shaping the new piece a bit easier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Again, I really like the look of not having the exhaust cut out.

Posted Image

It's starting to look like a car. I also bought a piece of 12x3mm flat bar to weld along the lower edge of the hatch so it all lines up along the back above the tail lights, but ran out of day. Tomorrow!

Posted Image

Some rust converter. I'm glad I wheeled up this panel instead of leaving it flat. I know it's not noticable but I notice the difference.

Posted Image

And that's all I got done on this today. I had a million and one other things to sort out, but that's life : )

Posted Image

Obviously I haven't done the other corner, as I still need to rebuild the lower rear quarter, cut the guard, replace the sill, replace the A pillars.................

#223 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Investigate what an SLE rear bar looks like,I think you will like them.

#224 _dirtbag_

_dirtbag_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'd have to cut half the SLE extension off because of the flare anyway.

#225 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

really impressed by your work Mr Bag very few have the talent to make stuff look factory, sorry I did not get a chance to drop by last week

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users