Aftermarket Gauges

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hi, I would like to replace the speedo, clock and fuel gauge in my LX SL with aftermarket gauges from "Speedhut" in America. What I would like to do is keep the frame and replace the gauges so they fit straight back in the original housing. Problem is I don't know what diameter guages to order. i.e. 4 inch or 3 and 3/8 ?? to enable a direct fit back into the dash housing. Has anyone used the speedhut guages? I like the "revolution" series and was thinking about 8000 RPM tacho, 200km/h speedo and a quad gauge beside it all metric of course. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Trent.

#2 Growla

Growla

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Car:LX SL/R LS1 conversion completed July 2010

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

I just went and measured the speedo face as I have it out at the moment and it is pretty close to 4". However those after market gauges have a boarder which you may need to factor in your measurements. I remember a forum member "Herne" did buy some gauges from speedhut maybe send him a message to find out what he did.

cheers
Mark

#3 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

Good thinking Growla I will see if Herne can assist further.

Cheers.

#4 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

The factory gauges are actually almost a square with radiused corners.

I made new faces for my vdo guages so they would fit in the factory cluster. The new faces are 100 mm high by 104 mm wide with a 25 mm radius corner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you want to fit round guages then the easiest way is to toss the factory cluster and cut round holes in the dash facia and fit tubes cut on an angle with the gauges at the bottom.

Something like how Blackdice did his dash. There were more pictures in his build thread however the car has been sold and the pictures in the thread are dead.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for your reply Andy, I reckon I will look into a custom dash panel.

Regards, Trent.

#6 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

There was someone on eBay making dash panels to order last year. Can't find them listed at the moment.

#7 BENN0

BENN0

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Nice work ls2lx! Looks great.
Would you know if 4" gauges would fit inside the factory surrounds (assuming depth was no issue). From your measurements supplied, the 4" gauge might be a little small in relation to the width. There might be a little gap.

The speedhut gauges look great. Speedo, Tacho and the multi function quad gauge would work a treat adapted to fit the factory torana dash.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users