electric fuel pumps

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:44 PM

i am currently looking at an electric fuel pump for my car.

i will be setting it up with half inch lines and a return line. the quieter the fuel pump the better.
its for a very healthy 355 holden.

has anyone got any opinion on which one to go for, any experience with the following pumps?

the barry grant BG220HR
barry grant bg220hr

aeromotive fuel pump 11203
aeromotive 11203

mallory 140 gph
mallory 140

any advice would be much appreciated.
thanks
Darren

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:40 PM

What ever it is...you can forget the quiet bit.
R

#3 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:10 PM

Hey Darren. I have a BG220HR in my Hg. Great pump, reliable, suits heaps of Hp, but noisy. I can hear it over the engine idling. The mallory's are pretty quiet from my experience.

#4 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

I have a carter black 15psi with same setup in my LJ works fine a little quieter than a holley blue but a great pump for the price i paid $120 for mine.

#5 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:37 PM

I had a Holley blue and never again way to noise, I'm thinkning of going for a Carter next.

LJ355 is the Carter you are talking about feeding a 355? where did you get it for that price?

#6 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:17 PM

Yes it is feeding my 355 no problem at all i got mine from rocket industries.

#7 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:17 PM

does it have to be an electric one? i have heard that the mallory is pretty quiet (for an electric), dont know bout the aeromotive, they look good though!

#8 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:34 PM

just make sure you wire it up to a tachometric relay ( relay that only enrgizes when motor spinning / do a search on google for more ) otherwise if you have a crash and your ignitions still on, you will keep pumping fuel, which is not a good thing at all.

cheers julian

#9 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

Julian is right, get an auto elec to do it right. Mine is set up so if the ignition or engine stops it does too.
R

#10 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:13 PM

I like the mallory pumps,reasonably quiet.The holley blue is still nolsey even with return line,insulated & boxed.The tachiometric should cost $20 bucks from a lpg place,its wired up to the coil & very worthwhile.

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:20 PM

a better place to wire it to is a standard oil pressure switch so if the motor stops and you are, god forbid, knocked out and dont switch off the ignition, the pump will still stop.
if you like to keep a manual gage just use a tee piece at the oil pump.

#12 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:42 PM

Use an LPG safety switch box (as mentioned above). Only cost about $20 and will cut off the fuel pump after a few seconds if the engine is not running (ie. wired up to the coil). Piece of cake and works like a dream.

I think we've had this conversation before Darren, but I'm also running the Carter black pump on my 383 (which has run 11's now) without a problem. Definitely quieter than Holley pumps that I've heard. I've never had any issues with it at all. This is with a single 1/2 line & no return.

I do like the Mallory pumps too - they seem pretty quiet and certainly flow heaps of fuel. Can't comment on the other pumps as I've never dealt with them.

#13 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:46 PM

We've had a few bad experiences with the 220HR not giving a consistant pressure..

The new range of Holley Billet pumps are a lot quieter, and will support a healthy 355 easily. They are a georotor design rather than a vane pump.

#14 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:59 PM

BOTTLEDUP - I would appreciate someone of your experience giving your thoughts on the Carter black pumps that a few of us have mentioned - what is your honest opinion of them?? I know several people using them (myself, Tiny, other mates etc), and I've never heard any bad stories. But at the same time, I never hear any serious drag racers or hard-core cars talking about them...

My car has run 11.77 down the quarter (383 chev), so it's by no means anything insane, yet it still goes pretty good. Why are all of us with Carter pumps off in our own world??? (I've heard of plenty of people who use the Carter's as lift pumps just to feed surge tanks etc!).....

#15 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:01 AM

my bad, should have researched as mentioned before. the tachometric relay does the same thing, only better i would think.

Edited by ALX76, 02 June 2006 - 12:12 AM.

#16 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:38 AM

thanks guys for all the responses, well it looks like the Barry Grant is out.
so its out of the mallory and aeromotive.

aeromotive seems to be the new kid on the block has anyone had any experience with them? as makka said they look good.

or as BOTTLEDUP said maybe i should consider one of these
holley 150 billet base

#17 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

BOTTLEDUP - I would appreciate someone of your experience giving your thoughts on the Carter black pumps that a few of us have mentioned - what is your honest opinion of them?? I know several people using them (myself, Tiny, other mates etc), and I've never heard any bad stories. But at the same time, I never hear any serious drag racers or hard-core cars talking about them...

My car has run 11.77 down the quarter (383 chev), so it's by no means anything insane, yet it still goes pretty good. Why are all of us with Carter pumps off in our own world??? (I've heard of plenty of people who use the Carter's as lift pumps just to feed surge tanks etc!).....

Hiya, I'm a fan of the Carter Black, certainly excellent value for money. A friend of mine was running one on a 355, and it ran 11.26 without any fuel supply issues. Over the 6 years she's owned the car its killed a couple of them, but that has now been rectified with the use of a bypass style reg.

To sum up, I'd use a Carter over a Holley Blue for anything up to about 400-450hp. From then on I'd look at the new Holley Billet pumps or a Magnafuel 275. :)

Nothing wrong with the Aeromotive pumps either, but like the Mallory's and Magnafuels they need to be used with their own specific regulator which will set you back about $200-300 just for the reg.

Edited by [BOTTLEDUP], 02 June 2006 - 12:41 PM.

#18 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:49 PM

I apologise if this is not a good idea....
What about electric pumps of all the cars produced in the last 18 years or so(rather than aftermarket), would any of them be up to the task? Im sure most of them would be a lot quieter as people would complain with a noisy pump in a new car.

#19 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

devil: ^^your talking mostly fuel injection pumps in cars 18 years or newer

Yer the carter is a good pump for the money but! the mallory is the quietest
And a better pump design go the mallory :spoton:

#20 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

I suppose I am, so they are unsuitable?

#21 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:59 PM

I suppose I am, so they are unsuitable?

devil EFI fuel pump run very high fuel pressure when compared to a carby electric fuel pump.

ok another vote for the Mallory, so far i think thats the one to get.
i have heard a mallory and the noise level is acceptable, i am not sure that there will be a quieter one than that.

BOTTLEDUP, have you heard how noisy the Holley billet base 150's are?
and rough prices for those holleys?

#22 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

I'm very Happy with my Carter as LXCHEV has said.. Its a fairly quiet pump, and ive runa best of 12.4 on mine ( more to come damnit!!) and had no dramas.

I'm now using a mallory bypass reg so hopefully that'll give the pump a bit easier time too.

I might post a question in the electrical section about the tachiometric relay and how best to wire one...

Cheers!

#23 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

Basically you wire it to the coil.When you turn ignition on it will turn on for a few seconds,then turn off.It wont turn back on until it recieves a signal from the coil,so if the engine stalls or turns off it does to.
It's a relay.1 wire is earth,1 wire to the negative of the coil & the other wire will go to the back of the car to turn the relay on for the fuel pump.

#24 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:06 PM

You'll need a 4th wire ^ to provide power to the tachiometric relay,+ve of coil would be fine.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 02 June 2006 - 09:07 PM.

#25 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:30 PM

Yes the 4th wire to the positive of the coil certainly helps lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users