60 replies to this topic

#51 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

The housing originally had a 3.08 open centre in it. I took the entire assy out of the car and gave it to the mechanic. He said SLR 5000 should have fine spline LSD.

I would have thought all early V8's were all course spline open centre OEM.
AFIK fine spline did not come about till the LX sunbird and even then the V8's still had course spline.

#52 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

I would have thought all early V8's were all course spline open centre OEM.
AFIK fine spline did not come about till the LX sunbird and even then the V8's still had course spline.

all lh&lx slr5000 and ss 5litres had fine spline axles with the runout of late 77 lx 6cylinder and sunbirds having fine spline axles,.i've had early lx 4.2 models with fine and course axles factory fitted....

wow it really must rocket science sealing a leaking diff

#53 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Just a suggestion Hanra,when you get the centre back dummy fit it to housing with no gasket and
nip up bolts and nuts and then have a real good eyeball for any gaps between the 2 sealing faces.
Usually arournd the bottom area is where they cop it and even though there may be no visible
signs of the housing having been hit does not mean it has not had a hit in the past and caused
a slight buckle.
I was under the impression those bolts that poke through from the inside were pressed in and if one
has been changed it could be a problem if it has clearance.
Not a big fan of stacking gaskets or using none at all where one was reqired from factory,by adding another
gasket or leaving it out has a slight affect on axle spline alignment in the side gears in diff.

#54 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,836 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

I think the reason for the leak could have been because the diff shop has hammered a cut off bolt into the housing and araldited a nut to the end of the shaft up against the inside of the housing. I was unable to torque this nut up as it just pulled the shaft out of the housing and the nut fell off. Meaning Ive had pull the centre back out again.

It appears this hole used to have a thread in it. Would it be better for me to re-tap this hole and just fit a bolt instead of having a stud?

I'm glad I paid experts good money to perform this awesome work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 308 Sunbird

308 Sunbird

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Name:Stuart
  • Car:SS Hatch, 308 Sunbird sedan-Improved Prod racer (sold), HZ Kingy wagon

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

That looks as dogey as your ute Brad :) , I thought you have better taste.
But seriously that is bullshit- they need to fix this properly & while your there
think about changeing ratios to 3.36 which you can do with that carrier.( I think
3.55 plus 13 inch wheels it will be a bit of a screamer)

#56 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,836 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Better view of the axle baffles.

Posted Image

So in this pic, you can see the captive nuts I guess you could call them on the inside of the housing. The top one had the shaft hammered through it and the nut was fitted onto the shaft and glued up against the back of the captive nut.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Re tapped the hole

Posted Image

Decided to use a gasket with permatex #3 sealant.

Posted Image

I should have taken heed of what Dave said a few pages back about this stud/bolt. I didn't give it a second thought as I could see a nut was in there and thought it was there to lock the stud in place.

And yes I know what you saying about the ratio.... But.... Ah.... Umm.... Ah.... I am just over it now honestly. The nearest 100kph zone is probably 20mins drive from here and it lasts for about 1klm. But yes I do agree it will be revving.....

Edited by hanra, 22 September 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#57 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

considering the lengths you have gone too with the rest of the car ( top effort ) , why have you not painted the diff centre red primer ?

#58 _77hatch_

_77hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

FYI i have a slr5000 housing, diff & axles ,2:78 fine spline lsd ,baffled housing that would go nice in an slr5000 resto if anyone is intersted ,message me

#59 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

where are you ?

#60 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

considering the lengths you have gone too with the rest of the car ( top effort ) , why have you not painted the diff centre red primer ?

Really....? Like the red oxide primer I did the gearbox? Time to pull the centre out again. No one told me this.

Edited by hanra, 23 September 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#61 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

exactly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users