Heater Box Restoration

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

A mate used Velcro with success

Thanks never thought of using it. I have some 1.5" wide h/d velcro in the shed so I will see how it handles the heat. Normally can find some info in the usa forums but nothing that stands out. I am going to try a few different foams and silicon type rubbers to see how heat effects the perishability of each. Having the heater radiator wrapped in foam means that foam is subject to the greatest heat. Don't really need a heater in WA but its good to do it properly and not be worried about cutting corners.

Edited by LXSS350, 10 June 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#27 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

My 2 cents worth,i used 3mm upholstery foam on both the flaps and around heater core with no drama.

Holden wouldnt have use anything special,i would reckon you should be able to get something better these days.

Those arms are a bit of a pain to get off,I found by getting some biggish side cutters under the arm as a lever it gave a more

even pull on the arm without doing damage,they are a good fit and usually need a light tap to get em back on.

For the seal up to the fire wall I used a peice of that pink insulation foam with one silver side that they use for roof insulation(dont know what its called) but it works and seems to have a similar density to the stuff GMH used.Punch the holes for the tubes a bit smaller than needed and if you like you can

use a small amout of sealant around tubes if concerned with leaks but that area doesnt see much water so should not be a problem.

I dont know what the stuff is like to paint if colour code is required,just have to test a bit to see if it melts with solvents.

#28 _green taxi_

_green taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

spotlight have the velcro u are looking for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users