Harmonic balancer removal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:50 PM

I have tried without success to removal the harmic balancer on a 186.

I have tried two different pullers, as well as a rattle gun with a puller. It simply won't budge. I have spent several hours on this task.

The engine is still in the car (and I wish for this to remain) - are there any other tricks for removal of the balancer?

Jim

Edited by lxhatch_jim, 04 June 2006 - 08:51 PM.

#2 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

why is this in the for sale section?

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Why is it in the 4 Sale section?

Did the harmonic balance puller fit? If so, try break the bond with a short sharp hit on the centre piece of the pully with a tapometer (hammer).

#4 _Fairdinkum_

_Fairdinkum_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:51 PM

when you pull it out are you going to sell it ?? or are you in the wrong section.
cheers (only joking)

#5 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

Where are you located? Maybe someone can come and help?

Did you use a proper harmonic balancer puller?

#6 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:34 PM

It's in the wrong section. I'm a fool. If someone could move it to engine it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Jim

#7 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:58 AM

Put a thin blade cutting disk on your angle grinder and cut the hub horizontally above the key. Couple of whacks over the key with a sharp chisel and it will probably split and remove easily.

#8 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

go to Repco and buy a puller for $26

#9 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

As I said at the top - I tried a screw type puller was useless. Apparently there are some pneumatic portable units you can hire borrow? Has anyone heard of this?

Cheers
Jim

#10 _Chaotic_

_Chaotic_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

try spraying crc or similar onto end of crank where the pulley sits and leave it for about 5 mins, then respray it and using a hammer and a punch give it a few hits around the inner area of pulley where it sits onto the crank. Give it a few goes and keep up the crc to try and work it loose.

#11 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

^ I agree. Do that. There's not that much holding them on, with the proper tool they come off easy.

#12 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:04 PM

There are a number of pullers out there.

The most common one is one which threads into the accessory points and pulls from there. Of this style there are two types, a two thread pull and a three thread pull. The two thread do not work and will actually poull to one side thus jamming the balancer. Hit the balancer first to move it in.

Has the Balancer cracked and thus chewed the keyway? this will also jam up the balancer.

The other pullers react on the backof teh balancer and usually result in either pulling the outer ring off or stoving the timing cover in. Make sur ethe balancer is flata nd straight first then try your puller again and pull it off evenly. Make sure all tension on all three bolts is the same. Once it get very tight hit the end of the puller (spanner part on the end) and it should dislodge a little. Turn somemore and it will be in your hand.

Cheers

#13 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:39 AM

I'm with Oldn64, use a 3 thread type puller. My 179 was sitting for 10 years in a rusted out ute before i got my hands on it, balancer came off no worries after persuasion by rubber mallet and two tins of CRC (or WD40 - same sh!t)!

Failing this, get your chainsaw and...........
Only kidding

Good luck
Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users