How much did you pay for your paint job ?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Im just getting prices for a paint job on my lx Ss hatchback, just wondering what the average asking price for a paintjob is ( seein I'm in Darwin it might actually be cheaper elsewhere)
Basically I've got a stripped shell in just a single pack primer to prevent Rust! The shell is straight with rust in rear light buckets (have panel to replace) and one side the pillar is has a slight hole where it's joined to the body ( hole on outside panel only)
First quote was $15000 for a 2pack paintjob (outside, engine bay and door jams only not including fitting and painting of flare kit was also told this would be for a good daily driver not show car finish

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

$15K Start price sounds fair
30k+ for alot of body or rust work
Depends where you shop and what you expect

#3 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

Yeah prices have certainly gone up these days.. I paid $8000 on my little red car back in 2001.

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

^^^^^ Yep, spent $6200 on the LJ's repaint back in 1996, was told a show quality job would be $12,000

#5 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

well i got a good deal
with a best mate as a spray painter
prices don,t sound to far off the mark imo
i have learned alot watchin what the process is all about
full credit to those who can do it!
rubbin backs a real bitch and prep is the key
to a great result
brad h! i do sympathise with ya
cheers to a great forum
davemc

#6 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

how's $22000.00

I have a very clean and straight car with clean panels this price includes bare metal full respray inside ,outside plus under car using quality paint etc
remember you get what you pay for and this is for show quality lucky i have no rust or damage price would big $$$

#7 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'm a panel beater by trade & even after doing all the work except the final colour/clear coats myself, i still shelled out around $5000 for an in/out repaint on my LH, except engine bay. And that was using cheap primers & clear. Some people think panel shops are rip offs & trying to get rich, but a quality body/paint restoration done properly & to last years, not months, is very labour intensive plus the materials are expensive to buy. Also, as these cars are approaching 40 years or older, most will have some rust & old repairs. I've seen cars that looked clean in their original paint, only to come back from the media blaster full of holes & panels that look like they've been bounced off every pillar & post in town, so when you add up an hourly rate to repair/paint these panels to an acceptable standard, the final price can be fairly high.

#8 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

I'm a panel beater by trade & even after doing all the work except the final colour/clear coats myself, i still shelled out around $5000 for an in/out repaint on my LH, except engine bay. And that was using cheap primers & clear. Some people think panel shops are rip offs & trying to get rich, but a quality body/paint restoration done properly & to last years, not months, is very labour intensive plus the materials are expensive to buy. Also, as these cars are approaching 40 years or older, most will have some rust & old repairs. I've seen cars that looked clean in their original paint, only to come back from the media blaster full of holes & panels that look like they've been bounced off every pillar & post in town, so when you add up an hourly rate to repair/paint these panels to an acceptable standard, the final price can be fairly high.

Ex panelbeater/spray painter and I have to agree very labour intensive work and material prices are just a rip off. By the end of a Resto you have really poured your heart and soul and lots of hours into the job if you are doing them right. Just like everyone that does there own restos except there is a monetary value attached.

#9 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'm currently preparing my LX SS hatch for paint and I'm not enjoying it. (only doing it to save money)

It has the full body kit and so many pieces that need to be painted separately.

I reckon most panel beaters and spray painters are reasonably priced but the quality of work varies greatly.

15k sounds reasonable, would be even better if you could get them to include fitting & painting the body kit.

I'd also recommend looking at some of the cars they have finished and talk to the owners if they let you.

P.S. I have a friend who paid 20k for paint and 20k for panel repairs for his SLR5000 and its better than new.

Edited by lxsstorana, 03 May 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#10 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Big Kev
any pics of your car with the 22k paint job?

#11 _moot_

_moot_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

i'm getting my corolla painted now in house of kolor.the paint and materials was at least a third of the price for the us compared to australia.i think i have australias most expensive ke30 haha

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

I recently spent 15 hours doing a quick jam job on a mates hilux, that was just two front guards bonnet and bullbar, as he had had a few busters......

Shit takes ages.

Cheers.

#13 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

I wouldn't imagine much change out of 300 man hours.

#14 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

I recently spent 15 hours doing a quick jam job on a mates hilux, that was just two front guards bonnet and bullbar, as he had had a few busters......

Shit takes ages.

Cheers.

I'm hearing you. Even if you go gang busters it still takes time and at the end of the day hrs =quality. My view is if the panelbeater adopts the attitude he is going to do everything right and not take on the attitude she will be right Il leave that for the painter to fix you get a top class job. Be careful as well just cause a shop has turned out good work that panelbeater may have left and you might get whoever on your car even though the owner may be big on quality control its sometimes hard to control. One more word of advice don't trust them go in visit your car to check on the progress it lets them know you are keen and also let them know your are fussy that,s if you are trust me it makes a difference if they think you are fussy a lot of panelbeaters not all get away with what they can.
Cheers Dave

#15 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

You definitely get what you pay for. As everyone else has said - it all comes down to labour - it's endless hours of work. As the famous saying goes... "It's all in the prep".

So I agree - the prices being thrown around above certainly seem on the money.

The only other option to cut costs is to do most of the work yourself. This is the approach I took with LXCHEV. Since I was only around 18 at the time, earning a couple of hundred bucks a week, a professional paint job was never an option. So I spent around 12 - 18 months of hard yakka pulling the car apart, repairing, sanding, and priming it all. I wanted 2-pack and was too scared to do the colour & clear myself (never painted before in my life, let alone metallic). So I talked to my local panel shop who agreed to take the job on. I gave them a bare car completely finished in primer, as well as all doors, panels, bodykit etc.... all they did was tidy up one or two tiny areas, and then hit it all with colour in the booth. I then bought it back home and put it back together.

Back in year 2000, this cost me $1,600. 12 years later, after spending it's entire life in carports open to the weather, the paint is still decent enough. Far from show quality, but for a streeter it's served me well. Bloody hard work though, but for anyone who doesn't want to dump 15k - 30k on paint, it's worth considering.

Here's my cheap-ass paint-job....

Posted Image

PS. When I see a real pro-paint job at a car show though, you notice the difference. The next car I build will have a much bigger budget for paint.

#16 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

$600...but i did do it all myself in my carport (ssssshhhhhh lol ).....if i added my labour it would be 1200-1800
and it's only in cheap motospray crap acyrilic ......looks ok after 3 years no where near show quality but never the aim
it was rushed and i still missed a few dents but meh
but doing a color change over winter....for the grand total of $200-400 plus a few weekends/weeknights of my time
(top coat 50...primer 50...thinners 100 clear and wax greasse remover to be brought)
in 3m crud
for good quality paints you can double or tripple the prices of materials
the point is do as much as you can....your labour costs sfa..

#17 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Ive been working in a Custom panel and paint shop for 3 months now which specializes in old cars... I had a decent idea but after working on some top level cars it really opens your eyes on how many hours it takes to get that standard of quality.

I asked about a rough quote just to give you an idea with the information you gave and he said about 10k for a off the gun finish (still good but slight orange peel) not fitting the body kit and assuming it is perfectly straight..

It really depends on the standard you want... if you wanted all the panels to be fitted/modified to have perfect tight gaps, all panels perfectly straight, no imperfections at all and color-sanded to a glass flat finish the price goes up and up as it just takes more and more man-hours.

#18 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi all..Painting is an art and you do get what you pay for..Im going to spray my LC myself..Will build a spray booth in the shed, wait untill summer..want it to be 25deg +..
Im looking for a show finnsh..Im a sign writer by trade, so getiing paint looking a treat is my job..
Mike

#19 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

The first thing i point out when i get asked about prices for paint jobs etc, is what's the first thing people see/notice about a car? The body paint. But this is the area people want to spend the least amount of money. They are quite happy to spend $15,000 on an engine, $3000 on a diff etc but quote those figures on body & paint & you get a different reaction. Here are two of my Toranas that restored myself.
Posted Image
Both are off the gun paintjobs, not show quality, but neat for every day street driven cars. Both were pretty good cars to start with, both were taken back to steel & all work was carried out with longevity in mind, not quick dollie ups for sale ie i didn't want to be respraying them again in a year or two. If i had to put a dollar figure on the jobs i did on these cars, it would be around the $12-15K mark each car.

#20 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

I tend to find a lot of peoples ideas of a good paint job differ. Some people are just happy that its glossy and dont seem to care about the orange peel or wobbly panels or poor panel gaps...

#21 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

I wish my experiences were the same, for the most part people i've dealt with expect pin straight panels with flat like glass paint but think anything over $4000 for that quality workmanship is too dear. I don't think they believe me when i tell them paint materials & consumables like sandpaper, masking tape etc for a job like that alone can exceed $4000. Here is a custom engine bay i did for a friend on a VN Commodore.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Alot of hours in custom fabrication, removing factory pressing & imperfections in the panelwork etc not to mention all the prep work involved, plus i painted it myself. The owner paid for materials but i gave my labour for free & still had complaints that the job wasn't good enough.

#22 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Ooooooo XC hardtop, me likey, always had a soft spot for the hardtops (yes i'm a closet Ford fan).

Don't know what mine has cost yet it still at the panel/painter but it started ay $12000 for rust, panel and paint, on top of that i have asked him to strip and paint the underside, he is also doing the stainless trim, fitting the larger flares for the big tyres and cutting the front and rear guards, putting in the glass and rubbers.

Hopefully i will have a final figure i can post with in the next couple of months.

#23 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

Mine will cost me $1,500 plus materials,the panel repairs are done......only trouble is I gotta wait till he recovers from a knee replacement
Philiip

#24 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

Have to agree, there are paint jobs and then there is show quality. Big difference in hours, cost and finish. You start talking rust and making up difficult shape panels and your talking big $$$. Finding a spray painter panel beater (who loves old cars) and has pride in his work is probably one of the hardest parts. $15k disappears real fast on paint.

#25 _pepperjack_

_pepperjack_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

My dad owns a paint and panel shop in grafton, nsw and he does show quality paint jobs and charges $40 an hour, it works out to be about 15,000, give or take a couple depending on the shell, eg a mustang he done was $13,000 because it had no rust and an xc coupe he done cost $16,000 because it was pretty rusty, it generally takes him about 200 - 300 hours not including stripping the shell, paintstripping it and putting it back together (owner of car normally does it to cut costs as much as possible)

heres a couple of pics of the xc coupe he painted...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This pictures quality probably isnt as good, it was taken with a phone...
Posted Image

PS, if anyones interested in getting their car painted you might want to give Lee a call on 66447840 or 0448351575

Thanks, Ryan

Gee $40 / hour it costs us $35 / hr to employ anyone who is anygood, then we have to pay overheads and make a profit

this work looks first class, if he was closer to me I would subcontract all my work to him !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users