cam to big?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

hey guys i was just wondering what you rekon about matching stall convertors with your cam. for the little red 6 i hav a fairly big solid crow cam 35803 and and a th700 behind with a standard torque convertor. what sort of characteristics can i expect from that as in ; will it be extremely slugish at bottom end will it hav trouble idling at the lights in drive? i realise for max performance a 3000 stall would be the best since that will match the cam but that i think would be way to big since its my daily and i hav to drive a fair way some times in the city. so what do u guys rekon?

cheers
ben

#2 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

if its a standard V6 converter, you will have problems. a standard 202 wont even have enough lowdown torque to push it up to standard stall.
a 2500 converter would give the best of both worlds, thats what I am getting when I find some cash.
what diff ratio and tyres are you running?

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:59 PM

What's the optimal rev range of your cam? If it's below the designed rev range, it will go like a dog till it gets into it's operating range.

#4 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:05 PM

ok then i guess ill hav to get the stall lifted on it then. well its definantly not a standard 202 iv done everything i can to it so it better hav some good power! im running a 3.55 with 225 60 13 tyres on it . the engine i hav in it now is not that flash though it has a mild cam and seems to idle ok. the optimal rev range is 3000 to 6000 so i guess 2500 sounds good makka. i thought a higher diff ratio might b good enough for a while to compensate for the lag until i can get a stally.

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:08 PM

i havent researched your cam but you state solid im thinking its big. if you cant stay in the recomended stall fig for the cam you will have problems.
solid cam for daily driver, why wouldnt you want to fit a stally.

#6 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

with a cam from 3000-6000 you'd really want a 3000-3200 stall

The std T700 converters can be modified to up to 2800 stall, and it is possible to keep the lock up clutch feature.

#7 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:23 PM

well its not that i didnt want to i just dont hav the money to do so just yet as u sed urself before thats what im getting wen i find some cash. so i guess that is what i am gonna do next save some cash and hit up allfast for a nice stally or i might just get tha standard one stalled up a little bit to help it out some. i just dont want a 3000 hi stall the last thing i want is to hav to be ringing its neck at 6 in the morning on the way to work. 2500 might be good though. i was told that you can get a 'tight stally' where it will only stall up to the desired rpm only will you giv it shit. is that true?? or is that how they all are?? i obvioulsy dont no much about them...

#8 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:32 PM

Stock stall of a commododgey is 2200 isn't it? At least thats what I got when i tested the VU ute when it was new.

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

Stock stall of a commododgey is 2200 isn't it? At least thats what I got when i tested the VU ute when it was new.

Stall can vary with torque output ie engine size, sometimes up to 500rpm.

#10 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:33 AM

The rated 'stall' speed on a T700 converter is 2200 that's correct.

U in WA? Try Converter Services or Stone Racing. Had a couple of issues with Allfast converters of late so I'm a little wary.

#11 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

yeh cheers mate im in wa not far from you. i heard stone racing are good ill give them a call. ill put my questoin to them too.

thankx again guys
ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users