12 replies to this topic

#1 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:33 PM

Hi all, i have got a situation with a phantom leak in my LJ 4dr whch i discovered this arvo after it had been raining heavily in Sydney today - there was a pool of water sitting on the floor under my feet on the drivers side. There is no source of the water leak at all, no water marks or dampness starting anywhere at all just a pool on the vinyl section under the drivers feet.
Has anyone else experienced this "phantom" leak as i am qute keen to find the source as that floor pan is already a little rusty i think i now know why!! Any help or suggestions appriciated :D .

Cheers,
Mick

#2 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:50 PM

might be your windsceen seal if its fairly old.
mine used to leak there and run down to the floor
Damo

#3 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

The windscreen has got to be the first port of call here. It doesn't take a big leak in a heavy downpour to get a good olympic pool happening under the old feet. I have taken the carpet out of my LJ 4 door and removed the metal bung in the floor to allow it to drain. (I did this this afternoon when I caught two asian type fisherman trying to catch fish in the drivers side floor pan). Long term solution is to pull front and rear screens, reseal (after dealing with any screen cancer) and then looking around for other subtle leaks. (and of course hanging a no fishing sign on the handbrake). :rolleyes:

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:19 PM

Try to narrow it down by firstly getting the hose out and hose in the vent between the screen and the bonnet. if no water inside then pop the bonnet and hose the fire wall and rails if no water then hose the windscreen.

#5 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:08 PM

heater vents.. mine does it in the heavy rain too.. seals might be getting old..

A1

#6 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:27 PM

Also if the heater is not bolted firmly to the firewall (outside onto) Then water can actually leak under the heater and straight into the heater ducting, particularly if the car is faced slightly upwards... tell you what the was the last time i did that!

Steve

#7 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:48 PM

(I did this this afternoon when I caught two asian type fisherman trying to catch fish in the drivers side floor pan). Long term solution is to pull front and rear screens, reseal (after dealing with any screen cancer) and then looking around for other subtle leaks. (and of course hanging a no fishing sign on the handbrake).

hahahaha...they must be doing the rounds of many a Torana owners in Sydney this week :D ....but seriuosly i will have a good look at the screens and the firewall/heater seals too, thanks for the replies guys

Cheers,
mick

#8 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:54 AM

make sure when you look under the heater box also look at the seal where the heater box seals on the plenum.
Its good to take off the heater box anyway to check for rust the may build up under the heater box.

#9 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

Remove the kick panels and check the seam where the plenum joins the panel forward of the A pillar. It's normally covered in sealant, but this dries out or rusts underneath.

The hole in the panel doesn't always line up with the bottom of the plenum so water can collect on top, you can only see this with the guard removed.

Also if your trying to find a leak, remove the carpets and sprinkle talc powder on the floor and on the side panel, it makes it easier to find the leak.

Do you have the plastic liners behind the door trims? With these missing, and the car parked at an angle, water can hit the back of the trim and run onto the floor.
grant

#10 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

im not sure with the torana gaurds never had one off but my dad with his hk ran some hose down it and to the drainage hole at the bottom one way to stop the gaurds from rusting out

cheers chevy

#11 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:55 PM

Had the same problem got the cordless drill and drilled the floor pan in a few places for the water to run out :huh:

#12 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:54 PM

Had the same problem got the cordless drill and drilled the floor pan in a few places for the water to run out :huh:

You do realise that there are plugs in the floor that you can remove to drain water right? :fool: Or that if you can't get them off you could use a sponge to get rid of the excess then a heater to dry the last bit? :spoton:

Steve

#13 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

When resealing the screen use a new rubber. Old rubbers shrink with time and get hard thus after time will leak naturally.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users