17 replies to this topic

#1 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

gday all,

Been having some problems with the LJ. Its a 173, Commodore cable clutch, M20
and 3.36 Banjo.

Basicaly if have been hearing a metal screaching noise, similar to when you 'turn' a piece of metal up in a lathe, that metal on metal sound, and vibrations.

Last nite i replace the oil in the gearbox and there was no metal filings in the oil i drained.

Anyone got some suggestions?

Steve

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

Can you tell me if it makes the sound when you are going and stopped and if it changes when you push the clutch in?

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

Thrust bearing?? worth checking.

Herne

#4 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

The noise generaly happens under load (accelorating) I don't seem to get the noise any other time, and pushing the clutch in doesn't make any difference cause the noise stops as soon as i stop accelorating.

Steve

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:20 PM

The vibrations bit of your query suggests, possible universal joints but I haven't ever heard them squeal, I guess anything is possible.

Herne

#6 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:26 PM

is the tailshaft not touching something like a bracket or seat bolt.
teltail signs will be a shiny ring at the contact point.

#7 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Dad seems to think uni joints as well... Even through i replaced them about 12,000 miles ago... maybe because i don't think i ever pumped any grease into them :fool: :<_<:

Steve

#8 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:07 AM

Loose fan belt?

#9 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

water pump or alternator bearing?

#10 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for keeping the suggestions flowing people.

The noise doesn't sound like a fan belt squealing, but i will have a look at that when i get the car running again.

I hope its not the water pump or alternator. Both have been replaced in the last 6 months, the water pump a genuine Holden part, and the alternator a recoed 50 amper from a mate of dads.

I discovered last nite that there was some vertical movement in the tail shaft uni joints, both of them, so i have given the tail shaft to a mate and two new uni joints to replace the installed uni joints.

Once i get the tail shaft back i am going to check all the bolts on the diff (I did change the centre 6 months ago) and the bolts on the gearbox, bell housing and cross member ( I replaced the rear gearbox mount about 2 months ago). The clutch still has plenty of meat on it (about 10mm so 5mm + 5mm) and the flywheel and all clutch all seems to be bolted together fine. As mentioned above i did an oil change on the gearbox on sunday nite, so from what i have told you above if the noise isn't the unis destroying themselves from lack of lubrication, my next assumption would be the thrust bearing or possibly engine mounts.

I checked the tailshaft for signs of rubbing and there was no shiny rings on the tailshaft.

Thanks again for the suggestions peoples. :spoton: I love this forum :rockon:

Steve

#11 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

Many things are possible, do you have a engine fan? It could be hitting something(like the fan guard?) as the motor twists towards the right side of the car under load.

#12 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:41 AM

Brake linings OK?
That thing better be OK for Winton :<_<:

Edited by rodomo, 08 June 2006 - 12:42 AM.

#13 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:47 PM

I don't have a fan guard devils, i will check to see if the motor is pulling to one side when reving once i get the tail shaft back in. My mate still has it, he had a lot of trouble getting one of the uni joints out.

Rodomo Brake linings are fine, it doesn't quite sound like a metal on metal from brake pads being worn out. The pads on the front weren't replaced that long ago.

I am planning on getting to Winton... :spoton:

Steve

#14 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

ALL FIXED. :rockon:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I stuck the tailshaft back in last nite with the new uni joints in it, and yes they have been pumped with grease this time and took it for a spin, down the freeway and everything, no noise or vibration.

Well I learned something now... make sure you pump grease into your uni joints. :fool:

Thanks again people. :spoton:

Steve

#15 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

Glad we (forum) could be of assistance :)

It was the vibration that clued me onto the uni joints, been there and experienced that before, I am sure many have!

Good luck and happy, safe motoring.

Cheers
Herne

#16 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

:spoton:

#17 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:13 PM

I don't have a fan guard devils, i will check to see if the motor is pulling to one side when reving once i get the tail shaft back in.

Glad youve got it sorted Steve.

nb: the motor will only visible tilt to the right(normal) when you suddenly increase the revs....when in neutral......or when in gear when you give it more gas.

#18 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:54 PM

It was the vibration that clued me onto the uni joints, been there and experienced that before, I am sure many have!

Yeah Herne I just wasn't prepared to accept this suggestion straight up since it was only 12,000 miles since i replaced the uni joints... of course i never pumped them with grease so it all makes sense now.

nb: the motor will only visible tilt to the right(normal) when you suddenly increase the revs....when in neutral......or when in gear when you give it more gas.

I still haven't checked that yet but yes i know its when you suddenly increase revs in neutral. Its on the todo list.

Thanks again everyone. :spoton:

Steve

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 11 June 2006 - 04:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users