my dillema

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _greenslr_

_greenslr_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:30 PM

hey guys my lx slr 5000 is at the panel beaters now getting a bare metal respray, and i am thinking of to do with the car next. im thinking of putting the original engine aside and dropping injected 308 with maybe a cetrefigual supercharger, am i recking a classic. i would do it so it would be easy to reverse, would a 12 second carby set up kill the car, or should i put the original engine back in
and leave it at that

#2 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:34 PM

It's your car, do as you want, but I'd try not to do anything thats not reversable, you would be throwing away money

#3 _Torana/Fan_

_Torana/Fan_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

Yeah i 2nd that, its yours do what you want to it and so what if people say your wrecking a classic its your car and unless its going to see alot of racing with slicks body would be fine i think. Though if it is something your going to part with (we dont plan on it but it happens) it looks as clean original's make the money.

End of the day if its what you want do it, or buy a wreck and trash that :D

#4 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:54 PM

I'm going to fit an injected engine to my car, but everything else is going to remain original, this way the car car be returned to original without any problems or alterations.

#5 _dansedgli_

_dansedgli_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

Do it mate. Where's the fun if you cant modify it the way you want to.

Keep it reversable if your worried about the resale value otherwise go nuts!

#6 _workinprogress_

_workinprogress_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:55 AM

i would say do it. And ff you knock 2 seconds of your 1/4 time i think you would be struggling to complain about doing it either. But why a centrifugal supercharger? They are the ones that look like a turbo right? All i have heard about them sounds a bit silly. only having your highest boost at your peak horsepower range. and at half those revs you only have half the boost.

There is probably some important factor to them that i dont know about though?

#7 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:58 AM

i rekon you should do it. take the orginal bits that your going to change and put them away in your shed. but if you have to start cutting holes and stuff go get the parts(bonnet) from a wreker or sumthing dont cutt up the orginal bits. but its your car

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:06 AM

Yeah i say go for it! Just dont go over board and make it unreversable!

I would fit an EFI motor and tweak it!

Just dont hack up the Trans Tunnel etc to fit bigger stuff.... Should be sweet tho! Cant wait to see how it all turns out!

#9 _Neat LX_

_Neat LX_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:26 AM

I know money will probably have a factor into this, but IMHO, id leave it stock and park it away for sundays. If you wanna go hard with a motor combo etc, your best bet is to try to source a neat 4 door shell (hard to find, but there are bargains) and then spend the money on the motor/drivetrain combo to put into that.
Only reason i suggest this is that usually with big motors, there needs stronger gearbox's (stronger than M21) and stronger diffs so you may end up changing a few things. Also, the last thing you want is for (lets pray it doesnt happen) it to get stolen and then you have lost a awsome motor, and classic collectable car (slr 5000).

Food for thought

#10 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 06 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

as the others have said, do what ever you want, its your car! but on that note, I wouldnt do anything that couldnt be reversed

#11 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:47 PM

Keep YOUR car stock, buy and old shitter and go balistic.

#12 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:56 AM

I'm with rodomo and Neat LX, if you somehow part with your classic sooner rather than later, not only have you lost a lot of money, you have lost a collectable item.

Locate yourself a cheap runner (maybe even a 6banger) and work it up with your motor and everything else you want to do! Saving history is the way to go!

Keith

P.S. You could buy a UC and do that up if you wanted.... haha

#13 _greenslr_

_greenslr_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:50 PM

thanks alot guys for the replys i really wasnt expecting this many im not really shore yet what im gonna do untill the car comes back from the panel beaters and once its back i will post pics of the car and the engine combo that i am going to chose.

#14 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:29 PM

Cant wait to see the pics!

btw where are you from? Sounds like your car is going to be a bit of a weapon, would love to see it in the flesh one day!

#15 _greenslr_

_greenslr_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

im from thournbury in victoria if i knew how to post pics i would post some up of it before i took the car off the road the car is a green and black slr 5000 and did a 14.2 at calder with a stockish engine and a a 9 inch with 3:5 gears

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users