Adjustable Pinion Angle on diff ( Upper)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Can anyone help me out with what angle i should be trying to achieve? I have never used these before and any info would be great.

Cheers

#2 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

It varies a little from car to car depending on the suspension setup and what bushes are used.. The more flex in the setup the more angle you need. But generally 2degrees pinion down is a good starting point.

What happens when you accelerate the pinion gear tries to climb the crown wheel and causes the front of the diff to lift up untill all the "slack" is taken up from the bushes.

And when they say 2degrees down it is in relation to the gearbox uni angle. (the gearbox and diff should be parallel once under power)

#3 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Posted Image
Maybe something like I used on my LC might help to get it right?
Its a factory top arm with an adjustable end, very solid and simple to adjust.

Edited by NZ Toranaman, 24 May 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#4 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

did you weld that to the end? i have a ford 9" in the rear too if that makes any difference?

#5 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

did you weld that to the end? i have a ford 9" in the rear too if that makes any difference?

Yep, basically what you see is a stock arm with the end cut off, the trick is to make it firm is to use spacers to centre it in the stock mount.
If you use a gas flame to get the metal spacer out of the rubber mount then measure and cut so it fits snug and use the stock bolt.
Pretty simple really then you get all the adjustment at half turn increments :)

#6 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

sweet man cheers. might look into that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users