138 replies to this topic

#126 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Those things are supposed to mount to the speed nuts in the lower holes showing in your pic...? (just below each of your tabs)

The speed nuts are fitted to the tabs which I welded onto the lower rad support which the bottom tank of the radiator at fouling on.

Edited by hanra, 01 September 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#127 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Interesting, I'll double check on Monday just to make sure there aren't any core height differences between any of the 2 row cores.

#128 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

The speed nuts are fitted to the tabs which I welded onto the lower rad support which the bottom tank of the radiator at fouling on.

I see that but they should be fitted to the lower (original) set of holes. Is the radiator actually fouling, doesn't look like it?

#129 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

I'm sorry. I admit I'm a bit of a simple northerner, can u please point out which (original) holes they should be mounted to?

And yes if the radiator was fitted to the straps, and mounted hard up against the panel, it wouldn't actually be in the position it's currently in. Or it could be with some holes in the bottom tanks.

#130 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

OK, I get it now. The panel with the three holes which you can see below the radiator frame is part of the radiator support panel not the nose cone.

76lxhatch is correct. The 'J' nuts (speed nuts) should be fitted to the three holes at the bottom of the radiator support panel.
You don't need the three tabs you welded onto the back of the panel, get the grinder out and piss them off.

The radiator frame assy looks to be the correct one for the LH. It's definitely not a HQ-Z one cut down to suit.

#131 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

Ive been able to source some measurements from a V8 radiator, and yes these side bands appear to be exactly the same as the dimensions given.

The lower radiator support panel is not factory. It is a piece of bar that has NO mounting holes for the lower 3 holes of the nose cone. If I dont have the tabs there, I cant mount the lower nose cone to anything and the wings of the inner splash guards.

Because I mounted the tabs prior to radiator fitment I thought I had them in the right spot.... They cleared the HQ radiator when I slipped it in, but thats because its mounted further towards the engine away from the lower rad mount.

#132 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Bolt the nosecone to your speed clips, tight, grab a shifter and bend each tab, the lot in one go, down and foward.

Crack a beer and smile at how awesome you are.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 02 September 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#133 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

Or smile at how awesome you could be for coming up with that idea!

Ill get the radiator built first before I go chopping or bending. Im going to drop it into the rad shop tomorrow.

If I had more time up my sleeve it would have been handy to see if some one could have reproduced this? Not sure there is the call for it however? I guess most guys buy chinese ally ones off ebay?

#134 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

If someone cares to work out what the ones i have are then they can be sent off to be reproduced.......

Not so awesome to come up with that idea mate, i work on drill rigs, my 60" shifter is often used for straightening things like truck mudguards haha. I reccomend you use smaller ones for this job though :P. 12's should be a nice choice.

Cheers.

#135 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

If you want to pop over sometime Brad and have a look and take a few measurements and photo;s, my hatch its all original

Might give you and idea where the mounting points etc are and make it abit easier mate

#136 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

I gotta have a look at your car regardless Mark!!!!!

I dropped the side bands in the rad shop this morn, so hopefully by the end of the week Ill have something made.... The side bands are correct. Ive just got issues......

#137 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

NO mounting holes for the lower 3 holes of the nose cone.

I thought the lower holes in your photo looked like the ones that you need, but I think you're trying to tell us that section has been cut off clean and that's the nose cone itself...? If that's the case then yeah your tabs are simply a bit too high, where the nose cone is currently hanging is about the right spot (it angles down at the back more like that too).

Wrong radiator completely here but might give you a better idea of proper position of the mounting holes (not of the radiator, this one sits much higher than normal, would usually barely clear the middle hole)
Posted Image

Front and rear views if they help (probably not much)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#138 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Yep. Pretty obvious to see they middle mount hangs down quite some way.... If I had the correct radiator at the time.... I wouldnt be in this situation... baahhhhh.. Might have to cut the tab off and re-weld it lower down.... fark it....

As mentioned before.. when I dummy fitted the HQ rad it cleared the tabs because the radiator sits out off the rad support.

#139 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Might have to cut the tab off and re-weld it lower down.... fark it....

Yeah just do that (angle them down a bit more too), quickest and easiest solution and it would suck to have it a bit rough compared to the perfection you've applied to rest of the car!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users