stuffed lifter?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:25 PM

I have a awful single tap noise coming from the donk, so i have removed the rocker cover to suss things out. The culpret is one of the pushrods slapping on the rocker, I have fiddled with the tension of the bolts whilst it was running to find that when i loosened one side (bridged rockers) and tightened the other, the noise stops for a little while, then picks right up again. i fiddled and farted around for about half, and still couldnt get the thing to shut up. im thinking its a shitty lifter, but wanted to check before i replaced it.

Cheers

#2 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

Imho the evidence sounds damning for the lifter being the culprit, especially with no other symptoms.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:52 PM

253? 308? might have lost a lobe off the cam. I have seen a 202 do this too.

#4 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

my 202 has a sound very similar to that a tapping sound i havent taken the rocker cover off yet and checked no real point if its been going for over 12 months with no probs itl last me to my new blue 202 :D

#5 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:04 PM

hey Rodomo, its a 202.

I had a chat with our mechanic at work. He has suggested that i shave a few millimeters off the rocker bridge with a file. ill see how that goes.

Scince i put this engine in, it has had low oil pressure, acording to the dash light. I am kicking myself for not giving the oil pickup a good scrub when i changed sumps. What i have done to try and overcome this is stretch the spring in the oil pump. How can i test oil pressure simply at home?

#6 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:58 PM

Ok more info needed now. Is it a blue/black/red? In what car with what sump? What was done to it before it was fitted? Dont take more than 1mm off the bridge.

Edited by rodomo, 09 June 2006 - 12:00 AM.

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:01 AM

if your rockers are worn a new set of rockers and fulcrums may do the trick, dont forget to lube befor start up, but if the lifter is blocked no amount of adjustment will fix.
from memory 6cyl lifters are eazy to get at but you may not be able to remove it and pull it apart and clean it, if its worn as the base wares it becomes too big to come out thru the top, meaning a tare down to get at it.
if you do remove anything and are using it again make absolutly sure it goes back were it came from. one lifter will ware different to the next, swapping will cause came ware.

#8 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:25 PM

Ok more info needed now. Is it a blue/black/red? In what car with what sump? What was done to it before it was fitted? Dont take more than 1mm off the bridge.

Its a red, in a LC. originally out of chamois lx. I changed the seals, fitted a 30/70 cam, and changed the sump / pickup.

#9 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:02 AM

So new cam but old lifters?

#10 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:15 AM

Rodomo I would recon that thsi is the case too.

when replacing a cam or even removing a cam the lifter must go back into the same position as lifters wear differently. Similarly when placing a new cam in the motor you cannot reuse your lifters as they have not worn in with the cam. This will lead to premiture lifter failure or/and cam lobe failure.

I would be pulling teh cam and the lifters and having a really really good look.

Cheers

#11 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

thats right rodomo, new cam old lifters. was going budget.

I fixed it! it lasted about 5 min of driving. seemed that once i fixed one, another started tapping. ill take it to a workshop and get the lifters replaced.

#12 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:46 AM

Just hope that its not too late for the cams sake. You can get away with new lifters on old cam (providing the cam isn't stuffed) but not visa versa.
Good luck!

Edited by rodomo, 11 June 2006 - 01:48 AM.

#13 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:27 AM

What a shame, a new set of lifters would of only been an extra $100 (that for a V8). You can't afford not to replace em.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 11 June 2006 - 09:27 AM.

#14 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:34 AM

ok, Feeling less stressed today and am heading up to spare parts shop to get a set of lifters. So we yank out the old ones using vice grips, and then tap the new ones into place. That have been greased up with molystuff? is this it?

#15 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

Yep thats it, might be too late though. May have damaged the cam. Get anti pump up lifters if you want it to rev. They may be a little rattley at idle though.

#16 _gstar_

_gstar_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

done. peice of piss.
I just got the standard ones. There did not seem to be any damage to the underside of the old lifters, nor was there much sludge / varnish built up on them. they pulled out quite easily. i am hoping that this would suggest that there is no damage to the camshaft. but ill fire it up in the morning and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help Rodomo, could of saved me a small fortune.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users