replacing doors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _Bigmac123_99_

_Bigmac123_99_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:17 PM

i have a replacement door that i have tried to fit on my lh. but it refuses to line up properly and close flush. what should i do to fix this.

#2 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:34 PM

Find someone who has had experience fitting and aligning doors before.
It is not as easy as some imagine.
A friendly panel beater or spray painter would be my first pick.

Cheers
Herne

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:49 PM

Forget about lining it up to the catch. Put masking tape on all the edges of the door where it could touch another panel to protect paint. Remove the catch off the pillar and line up the door to the guard and other surrounding panels. The door hinges can be loosened and moved at the pillar to give forward and back and horzontal to the sill alignment. The hinges can be loosened on the door to give inward and outward "tilt" adjustment. Don't be scared to jerk the door around abit to get your alignment. Once aligned, refit and adjust the catch on the pillar. Bear in mind the catch is double acting, first "click" is the safety catch, second "click" is the door closed position and this is where you adjust the catch to line up when closed. What was wrong with your old door? I am looking for donor doors to cut rust sections from.
Hope this info helps.

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:03 AM

Have you taken the door strike out? You need to take that out, try get an even gap around the door, then refit the striker.

#5 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:19 PM

All great advice there, only thing i'd add is to maybe get a mate/girlfriend relative etc to help.

Another set of hands will go a long way, even if all they are doing is tightening the bolts with a ratchet and socket while you hold the door in the right spot. Trust me on this one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users