Are ROH Tasmans rare?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:42 AM

i have spotted a set of 14x6 ROH tasmans in a blokes backyard next to a job i do
they have 10/71 date on them and they need a good clean up

what would these be worth and are they rare?
cheers!

#2 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:30 AM

Jeez i had those on my LX but 13" years ago,nice wheels if teh chrome is still good

#3 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:42 AM

Hi Guys.

Aren't ROH & Tasman 2 separate manufacturers of alloy wheels. You either have a set of Tasmans or a set of ROHs.

CHOPPER !!

Dr Terry.

#4 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:49 AM

cant picture in my mind what they look like....

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

My old man had 2 sets of these, one on his Torana, one on his XD. I'm 99% sure the centre cap had Tasman by ROH around the outside and TAS in the centre, but I could be wrong.

#6 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:18 PM

if tehy are 14's in torana pattern with good chrome they would be worth getting

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

Wat do they look like?

#8 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:01 AM

People whgo know what tasmans are and want them search for ages to get a complete set. They are a nice rim and are sort of like boht a GTS rim and a Spintmaster. Unique...

Cheers

#9 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

as oldn said, they look like a cross between a sprintmaster and a GTS, they have an alloy centre and a steel rim

#10 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:20 PM

AND ... If my memory serves me correct.. are banned and illegal...have been for years...had a tendency to pull the rivets on the alloy centre and part company...But I am sure Chopper can confirm.. or my daydream situation has returned again.. :blink:
R

#11 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

Posted Image
Here Tis!
R

#12 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

AND ... If my memory serves me correct.. are banned and illegal...have been for years...had a tendency to pull the rivets on the alloy centre and part company...But I am sure Chopper can confirm.. or my daydream situation has returned again.. :blink:
R

Never had an issue with mine nor have they ever missed being passed by a RW, it could be true though but then again this would mean simmon three piece wheels should be banned too... :D, but I do not see this happenign in a hurry... :blink:

Cheers

#13 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:42 PM

OLD64,
Dont got there....Simmons are held on by more than 10 rivets..2 in each five spokes......But we will all immediately now forget a certain Channel 9 Camaro blowing a rim and ending up on its roof at Bathurst. That certainly hurt sales for a very long time. Wait until Chopper is back from SA. He will shed more light on them.
R

Edited by rorym, 09 June 2006 - 07:44 PM.

#14 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

chopper isnt coming to SA until the 17th..

#15 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:12 AM

AND ... If my memory serves me correct.. are banned and illegal...have been for years...had a tendency to pull the rivets on the alloy centre and part company...But I am sure Chopper can confirm.. or my daydream situation has returned again..

I recall this too! Was something to do with the (mag)nesium alloy (they were magnesium alloy rather than aluminium) reacting to dogs pissing on them! TRUE! (From my memory anyway) I had them on my EH 30yrs ago with no prob. There were a lot recalled and the stigma from the recall put them out of business, again from memory. They would be gold to have on a show car but I wouldn't drive them over 80kph, like a spacesaver spare.
Chopper! Chopper! Chopper! Oui! Oui! Oui!

Edited by rodomo, 10 June 2006 - 01:18 AM.

#16 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:42 AM

OLD64,
Dont got there....Simmons are held on by more than 10 rivets..

Why not. I know they are held on by more than 10 rivets but that still does not mean that my rx3 did nto disintergate 3 rims due to the sections seperating. I would never run a simmon on my car ever again. Trust me tazmans are tame compared. Again I have never had issues with my tasmans but again I do nto have them anymore as they went with the car... :(

Cheers

#17 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:04 PM

We are saying the same thing...I am not a fan of any Composite wheel..made in Italy or anywhere.
I had a set of Tasmans on the trailer I bought for the racecar 12 months ago...I gave them away.
R

#18 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

I've got a set of 14" tasmans on my LX and I'm pretty sure the centres are welded to the bands. I'll have to go out to the shed and stick my head under and have another look.

I haven't had any troubles with mine.

#19 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

I dont think they will be welded Pete, The centre is alloy and the outer is steel. not the 2 easiest things to weld to each other

#20 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:03 PM

Contrary to popular opinion I knew my memory served me correct that the Tasman Wheels on my LX are welded.

Heres some pics. I hope we are all talking about the same wheels mine are 14"s

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Although not too clear thanks to my dirty wheels, there are in fact welds, I was always of the thought that the centres are also cast steel, If not then there must be a uncommon welding technique that might have been used to do it. Maybe some of our professional welders out there can shed some light.

#21 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:44 AM

yeah, grab those wheels, clean them up and sell them.... you would probably get a few hundred bucks!

#22 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:04 AM

Contrary to popular opinion I knew my memory served me correct that the Tasman Wheels on my LX are welded.

i think you may be talking about two different types of wheels, one with alloy centers rivited and one with pressed steel welded.

there is exotic forms of welding for ferrous to non-ferrous metals but is mostly left to big budget guys such as NASA and the military.
not a job the average MIG can handle.

#23 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:26 AM

i think you may be talking about two different types of wheels, one with alloy centers rivited and one with pressed steel welded.

So its probably safe to assume that not all Tasman wheels are bad and that only the riveted wheels can be considered dangerous?

#24 superfly_GTR

superfly_GTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Car:1970 LC GTR

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:24 PM

I have a set of early Tasman wheels that came off my torana when I got it and will go on my FC when/if i get it, these ones dont have the step in the spoke like the ones previously pictured but are of the same construction. They are infact an alloy centre that have a steel "tab" at the end off each spoke which is welded to the steel rim. I think the major problem with these is pulling them apart for repair, as it cant be done and if it is the sructural integrity of the wheel goes out the window and they fall apart.

If you can get them, I would and then put them up for sale on the FE/FC forum, those guys love them and will pay for them. However if they have original centre caps PM me as I will pay for them! :spoton:

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users