Crank gear

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:42 AM

After much effort and a lot of "shed talk" I was able to get the harmonic balancer off. All other associated bits and pieces are off/out as well, except for the crank timing gear.

There has been a full scale attack with large screw drivers trying to lever it off but to no avail. I was contemplating a cold chisel or a butane gun to heat it up.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Jim

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:49 AM

wow..you certainly know how to do things the hard way. you have 2 options.

1) has it got 2 threaded holes in it? if so you can use the harmonic balancer puller to get it off.

2) Use a 2 jaw puller and maybe a spreader plate if you can't get onto it properly.

Heat will help in both cases but don't go mad.

When it comes time to install the new gear either heat it in the oven or boil it in oil and use a piece of pipe over the nose of the crank to drive it on.

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

If you are in brissy get this.

http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

ends in a couple of hrs.

#4 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

Is it me or someone is yelling use a press?????

Secondly are you trying to remove the cam shaft? If so there are two phillips head screws that hold the cam in on a thrust plate. you need to remove these screws before the cam shaft will dislodge, the other thing is all lifters, fuel pump and oil pump must be removed for teh cam to come out. Good luck.

Is the cam timing gear a fibre one or a metal one? Make sure that when removing the lifters that they go back into the same positions, otherwise you will find the cam will wave goodbye in a short period of time.

Cheers

#5 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:13 PM

The cam, lifter, oil pump etc. are all out.

The crank is on the engine which is in the car hence I can't use my press.

I've got a puller but there aren't any holes in the crank gear so no harmonic balancer puller. I'm not too keen on drilling holes and tapping a new thread.

As for the gear on the engine, it's steel. The ones I'm using with the new cam are alloy, which is why I'm changing the crank gear to begin with.

I plan to use loctite and an impact screwdriver to put the thrust plate screws back in securely.

All I'm really after are techniques from people that have done it before, especially if it didn't "just come off with a screwdriver".

Cheers
Jim

#6 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:35 PM

I cannot help you more then as I have always used a press. Takes less time and less stuffing around.

Cheers

#7 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

I'll bet you have marked the teeth now...but if you were just changing over to alloy cam gear you could have just left the original steel crank gear on there...unless it is worn.

Where do you come from?

#8 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

I'm in Brisbane. I wasn't too concerned with destroying the old gear, just damaging the crank. New gears are straight cut as well. I'm going to attack it with a chisel to try and pry it off this evening after work. If that fails a steady hand and an angle grinder may have to be the go.

Cheers
Jim

#9 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

$30 will buy that puller..its in brissy

Can't borrow a 2 jaw puller?

I've never seen alloy straight cut cam gear.

#10 _efi-202_

_efi-202_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:11 PM

gear puller would by far be the easiest, apart from the press and you shouldnt need to heat it. Supercheap sell cheapies. Mine was stuborn with the gear puller so its not suprising the screw driver doesnt work. Also the screwdriver will make it come off un-evenly and be bucking hard work!

#11 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

$30 will buy that puller..its in brissy

Can't borrow a 2 jaw puller?

I've never seen alloy straight cut cam gear.

I am not sure a puller will do this. simple reason being is that this is a interferance fit (and a bloddy tight one. If not right it will walk off and thisis not good for anyone!

Cheers

#12 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

I could not get mine off with a puller, ended up snapping some teeth off the crank gear.

I took my crank and cam down to the local engine builders and got the to pull my old gears off and fit my new straight cuts

Cheers

Loui

#13 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:42 PM

Did it this afternoon. Purchased a two jaw puller and promptly broke it. Used a chisel and broke that as well. Angle grinder and a cutting disc did the job in the end. Not a particularly orthodox method but the job is done none the less.

Now that wasn't that hard was it?

Jim

#14 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:43 PM

Hehe, and I thought I was the only butcher around here! I had the same trouble when I tryed to swap to alloy gear about 2 years ago and was forced to use the grinder. Worked rather well in the end, after I'd worked myself up into a killing mood over an half hour period or so.

Its off now so thats the main thing. :spoton:

Peace

#15 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:11 AM

I had a Ford Focus in at work for RWC a couple of days ago and we couldn't remove the r/r drum/hub assy to check brakes. We tried a big slide hammer from the panel shop with no success. The next thing was to use the "mega puller". I rang our used car manager, told him of the dilema and quoted him $250 for a replacement hub assy. before we destroyed it. He decided to wholesale it. The Focus was only 4 yrs old with 50k on it.

I hope this makes you feel better :spoton:

Edited by rodomo, 11 June 2006 - 01:19 AM.

#16 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:22 AM

reminds me of the old dude at my old work from some russian country i think "Ya bgucking bullshit mechanic" & "you bgucking butcher not mechanic"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users