Import bucket seats?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

Hi Guys,

This is probably a bit off topic but i'd like to swap the spring old bench seat out of the workshop dunger missinbitandpieces Triton Ute and slip in a seat of buckets as its gettin a bit harsh on the old back.

Can anyone with experience either with import buckets or anyone who deals with them regularly shed some light, perhaps make a recommendation.

Something hopefully Tan in colour and fairly reasonably priced would be good and easier to convince the boss that its a good idea!!! :spoton:

#2 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:57 PM

I think that someone on here has Suzuki swift or mitsubishi FTO seats in there torry, and they are happy with them. My mate has a VTi Civic (mid '90's I think) and they are pertty comfortable

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:31 PM

I've heard of Suzuki Swift seats and Miata MX-5 seats both being used in a range of cars.

Apparantly Mazda 626 seats from the late 80s/early 90s are wicked, but I've never sat in any.

#4 _lxhatch_jim_

_lxhatch_jim_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:34 PM

I purchased RX-7 Series 6 seat for $300 - full flip foward but quite a snug fit. I found that Supra seats were a larger less sporty seat - more geared for comfort. They were around the $100 - 150 mark. Some are also automatic if you wanted to be fancy pants.

Go to a Jap car importer, they have thousands to choose from. Just have to watch that they aren't damaged as most come out of wrecks

Cheers
Jim

#5 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:04 PM

Always ask someone with a stuffed back whether a seat is comfortable. (guess I am qualified on that one.)

Here are my picks in no partiocular order.

1992 suzuki swift (GTI)
1986-89 Telstra tx5 or madza 626 hatch seats
1994-96 honda prelude seats
1994ish wrx seats
Mitsubishi GTO seats (good luck finding them)
mitsubsihi FTO seats 1996 model
mitsubishi EVO IV
Holden WH Statesman (full electric too :D) try not to get the leather as I have found while comfy they seem not as nice as teh velour.
Mitsubishi Cordia GSR seats
Mitsubishi Starion seats (they are leather in early models. I do have fames but they need complete rebuilding)
Porsche seats (83ish era)
1985-86 Supra seats are brillant and have 4 ways of adjustment very comfortable (but most will need rebuilding now)

I have sat in all of the above and driven good distances with them. All are comfy and well supporting in teh back. Have a look around. You should be able to get them between $150-600. depending on which ones you are going for.. ;) All will most definately need work to get into the car but well worth it. Forget the 90's mazdas or telstras as they became flatter and do nto support your back as much.

land Rovers (94-96 discoveries) have great support but are huge in size. nothing that would fit into anything that you would have...

Cheers

#6 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

The 626/Telstar seats (upto ~91) and the Supra seats are based on a Recaro design and are awesome.

I have 1990 626 seats in the front of the LX.

Grant..

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

Have you got any photos of those seats in the LX, Grant? I can't say I've actually seen any or at least not in a Torrie. How do they fit?

#8 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:09 AM

i've got a set of hyundai s-coupe seats i was thinking of using on my next project if i ever get around to fininsing my currant one :spoton:

#9 _sampearce_

_sampearce_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

I put some Skyline R33 buckets in my EH and they are great. I just went to an import wreckers and had a look around til I found some that were comfy and would look decent in an old car. The wreckers have 100's of em. Cost me $200.
They even bolted in the original front holes, but had to make up a couple little mounts for the rear bolts.

I just had to make sure I got some that sat really low as most have adjustments up but would be a pain driving sitting high with your head hitting the roof and not being able to put it down.

#10 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:46 PM

I've got swift GTI seats (92/93 I think) in my LX. I am very happy with them. They are nice and small and have lots of side support. I find alot of seats ppl put in torries like Monzas or SS commodore seats etc are way too big for the car. They've got harness holes, when they recline they clear my rollcage unlike the original torry seats and they have about the right clearance from the center console etc. All they need is a nice retrim and they'll be brillient.

Posted Image

#11 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:42 PM

My cousin fitted those swift seats to his vh charger,pretty good seat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users