Fixing up the camel to go offroading

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Just recently sold my 2008 maloo (never connected with the piece of plastic) and decided to buy this 1997 landcruiser troopy. I got it pretty cheap off a relation and plan to use it as daily with the option to go bush bashing and camping or tow the torana around. It already has duel batteries, winch, rino racks, 2way and lift kit. My plans are to install diff locks, roof tray with ladder, another spare wheel, gerry can holders and some wooden draws to hold tools and associated recovery gear. One of the cons it has rust around the gutters which I plan on trying to fix myself. If any panel beaters or general handy people have any tips for how to repair the gutter let us know, such as what welder, what metal etc.

Attached File  SAM_0832.JPG   116.67K   5 downloads

Attached File  SAM_0833.JPG   76.02K   2 downloads

Attached File  SAM_0834.JPG   73.6K   2 downloads

Attached File  SAM_0835.JPG   86.38K   2 downloads

This is what I sold for the troopy still copping it of my mates for it letting it go. The left over money went on the morgage.
Attached File  IMG_0730.JPG   163.53K   3 downloads

#2 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

You can't go wrong with a troopy!

Wish I still had mine :-(

#3 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

The Maloos nice but I'm sure you'll have a shitload of fun with the troopy!

They must have been pretty light-on though with the factory rust-proofing cos it seems to have rusted a fair bit for a relatively new car. Did it live near the coast or something?

#4 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

The Maloos nice but I'm sure you'll have a shitload of fun with the troopy!

They must have been pretty light-on though with the factory rust-proofing cos it seems to have rusted a fair bit for a relatively new car. Did it live near the coast or something?

Not sure of the history Mick, my brother in law had it for about 5 years with a few trips to year to dunsborough/lancelin that might of caused the rust. Got a mate thats going to give me a hand, being a spray painter I sure he will steer me me in the right direction.

#5 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

Good thing you didn't buy a nissan.

What lockers you going for?

Air/electric etc.

#6 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

Good thing you didn't buy a nissan.

What lockers you going for?

Air/electric etc.

I'm going with the air so I can use the compressor for pumping up the tyres as well.

#7 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Go the toyota... Might as well respray it a normal colour while your ait it!

#8 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

the troopies have a great look. had one a while back. always enjoyed driving it. lockers will make it alot better. they help get further into trouble so a winch will be handy. air locks can be a hit and miss . the last set gave nothing but trouble. blew a seal every few months. ever one says oh they musnt be installed properly. funny enough it was the dealer repairing it. went electric this time. some people have trouble hence the term leaky locker, but some never have a prob.

#9 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Go the toyota... Might as well respray it a normal colour while your ait it!

I wasn't to keen on the colour of paint when I bought it, But now that camel brown is growing on me

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Im not overly into fourbies myself, but a few mates are.

Dad has air lockers in both of his fourbies, has had nothing but trouble with the ones in his Jeep, not a bad run with the ones in the Patrol.

Another lad i know fitted E lockers to his Hilux recently and has had good results, having looked at both the E locker seems to be a lot simpler, = less things to go wrong.

Im considering an E locker for my Torana, over an air locker.

Main drawback to an E locekr seems you dont have the compressor making that really cool BRRRRAT sound every now and then :P

Just buy a compressor off ebay to pump the tyres up with, i got a double lunger that goes like a scalded cat for like $80.

Cheers.

#11 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hugely disappointed in this thread. I'd mistakenly read the title as "Fixing up the cameltoe"...

#12 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hugely disappointed in this thread. I'd mistakenly read the title as "Fixing up the cameltoe"...

Wishfull thinking.

#13 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

like bomber said. i got the e-locker. press one button and its on. air ones are so complicated with the amount of fittings needed. detroits are the best due to there different configurations, simplicity and come in different varieties but sometimes a pain on road. my troopy had one big raised floor in the back. hinged section at the front to get stuff i dont really need but can be stored away, slide out draws and 60 ltr weaco fridge on a slide recessed into false floor so when u open the little dicky door at the back it just slid out. fold down table on the big door for cooking. i just had the matress in the back so at the end of the night i just climb in and sleep.

#14 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

Here ya go old johnno

Attached File  a97291_g186_2-competition.jpg   53.75K   7 downloads

#15 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

like bomber said. i got the e-locker. press one button and its on. air ones are so complicated with the amount of fittings needed. detroits are the best due to there different configurations, simplicity and come in different varieties but sometimes a pain on road. my troopy had one big raised floor in the back. hinged section at the front to get stuff i dont really need but can be stored away, slide out draws and 60 ltr weaco fridge on a slide recessed into false floor so when u open the little dicky door at the back it just slid out. fold down table on the big door for cooking. i just had the matress in the back so at the end of the night i just climb in and sleep.

Wblje "bloody hell that hard to type after 13 VBs and loosing to hawthorn"

Talking a few guys in the pilbara I got the same answer difff air locks are a pain in the arse. But 3 guys mentioned that they fitted from air locks from ARB in welshpool havent had a problem in years. As you can see from the photo I will be trying to keep the inside of the troopy clear four pit bikes fit perfectly. I'm trying to fit every thing and have room for the pit bikes, most the gear wil be on the roof and the fridges ( that hold the food and piss) will fit inside.Attached File  IMG_0236.JPG   129.34K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0236.JPG   129.34K   2 downloads

#16 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:34 PM

NICE CAMELTOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with Dunsborough i have not started to rust yet F#3k the pit bikes off and get some real roosters

Watching the footy too if it wasn't for the first 1/4 we would be in front

#17 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

NICE CAMELTOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with Dunsborough i have not started to rust yet F#3k the pit bikes off and get some real roosters

Watching the footy too if it wasn't for the first 1/4 we would be in front

Garth Just me thinking the tyres stick out a little bit from the guards which would cause the salt water to flick up underneath the roof causing the rust? With the pit bikes I am 35 years old over weight, unfit and never rode a bike until a year ago. The damage I am doing to my body with 140cc pit bike (lost skin and falling off) will do me for a while.

#18 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

If ya got on a bike with decent size wheels you'd probably have far less dramas

#19 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

:iagree:
get a 125....heaps easier to learn on....

#20 clarky9999

clarky9999

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Name:Andrew

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

Go an auto locker from these guys, no buttons or compressors it there. Got one in the hilux and still drives alright until you put the foot into it and it locks up and away you go.

http://www.4wdsystem.../index.php?id=1

#21 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

i got a bike out the back which is a good size. i think they call it a big wheeled pit bike. dunno. its got a 4 stroke 250 in it. sort of an unwanted extra item i got. i swapped my gas gas 300 for something and he gave me this bike as well. it goes well and is compact . im 6ft and more heavy than not and find it just nice. dirt bikes are just one of those things if your not hurt your not trying.....

#22 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

A lot of good advice for the fourbie coming through thanks fellas, keep them coming. All will be consided before the final decision is made. With the pit bikes the fact I can fit four bikes and four adults in the troopy and go fart-arseing around with me mates without being to serious suits me at the moment. My nephews are learning to ride on them as well as they get bigger I reckon I upgrade to suit.

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

I trust yourse is a factory turbo?

Fit an intercooler and wind the boost up, wind the fuel up a bit to.....Good thing about these old pre computer diesels is the "adjustablility" Wind it up till it soots then lock it in.....Fit a pyro and keep an eye on it.

Cheers.

#24 _SmartE_

_SmartE_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

I trust yourse is a factory turbo?

Fit an intercooler and wind the boost up, wind the fuel up a bit to.....Good thing about these old pre computer diesels is the "adjustablility" Wind it up till it soots then lock it in.....Fit a pyro and keep an eye on it.

Cheers.

Unfortunatly bomber its not, after driving the turbo landys for work, I noticed on the hills that its lacking a bit oomph.
An aftermarket turbo set up is on the cards just got to watch the budget, torry isn't finished yet

#25 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Ah so yourse has the almighty 1hz.

My 80 has a 1hz with a safari kit, no intercooler, 8psi, fuel wound up to my content, goes like a frOcking zirtec.

A turbo 1hz is a nicer engine to drive with a heavy load, compared to the factory turbo 1hd-t's, due to the higher comp ratio, 22:1 compared to 18:1.

Also the pre combustion chambers make it a bit less fussy.

Turbo it!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users