Rear Hatch Flares

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 _heppy_ss_76_

_heppy_ss_76_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:32 PM

hi,

just wanted to get some advice, i have just bought a set of hatch flares off ebay when i got them home and measured them along side the rear guard i noticed that the flare finishes before the sill, it doesn't go all the way down to the bottom, it finishes at the top of the sill, about 10-15cm short of the bottom of the car.

the flares i have are plastic (Not Fibreglass) and they are the A9X type not L34.

i have seen a couple of cars on car domain with the same flares as mine and some with flares that go all the way down.

are the ones that go all the way down, the fibreglass repros? which flares are the original ones?

any advice appreciated,

cheers

#2 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

They are meant to go all the way down at the front and the back for the rear flares for the A9X.

It stops at the top of the sill at the front of the rear flare on a sedan.

James

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

i think i know what you are talking about, i dont think they are Sedan flares, as you would notice that half the flare is missing...

i believe there where a few variations of casts... Some do stop just above the level of the sills and some go all the way to the bottom...

Not sure what you can do... but i doubt many people will even notice if u do a good job on it!

Im honestly not sure which ones are which tho regarding factory and repro... best go no the A9X site and see what they look like on there..

Cheers

#4 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

I have had this debate with a few people as well, but if you look in the parts manual it clearly shows the rear flares finishing above the sill just like the sedan....

#5 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

This is a photo of my LX with A9X flare in fibreglass. You will note that the flare is mounted just about as high on the body work as possible to allow for maximum clearance.

10" rim with wide offset and the tyre is 265x 50 x15.

Posted Image

You will see it finishes above the sill. Is this what you are talking about? (I realise this is a 4 door and not a hatch though.) If so I hope this helps.

I could be wrong here but isn't where the flare fits affected by how high on the bodywork it is situated?

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 12 June 2006 - 03:38 PM.

#6 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

Anyone with a flared hatch, some photos would be great??

thanks ryan

#7 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:21 PM

On a hatch, they go all the way to the bottom, the only reason a sedan doesn't is due to the door. Originals are fibreglass, not plastic and there was (from the factory) only one type for rears on Hatches as they never made an L34 hatch.

Posted Image

Edited by REDA9X, 12 June 2006 - 04:28 PM.

#8 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:00 PM

Red this has me confused as I always thought they went all the way to the bottom but the parts manual really changes my opinion.
Posted Image

#9 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:42 PM

I have been wondering about these 2 different rear flares for hatch's as i have these ones on mine seen in the pic below.
Posted Image

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

The parts manual is really for basic id of parts, you can't really go off those drawings. The ones that don't go to the bottom are aftermarket, looks almost like they copied them direct from L34 rears but joined and filled them.

#11 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

Yea ok i like the look of the flares that go all the way for sure.

thanks for that

ryan

#12 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:59 AM

all very interesting... i prefer the ones that go all the way to the bottom... but in J&S Racing's case, i would prefer it to fall short to contrast the Black sill...

#13 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

Yea it does look better, ya won't want a half coloured flare

#14 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:46 AM

It's my guess the reason for the black lower half of the flare is to hide or protect from stone chips. (I am guessing the black bit may be that bitumanised paint?)

The flares which run with very wide tyres eventually get a lot of stone chips on them. If you have paint like mine then it's all hell trying to get a match.

Cheers
Herne

#15 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:15 PM

These are the only two different sets I've seen.
I take it you have one of these?
Posted Image Posted Image

Which ones are original?

#16 _Fairdinkum_

_Fairdinkum_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:00 PM

These are the only two different sets I've seen.
I take it you have one of these?
Posted Image Posted Image

Which ones are original?

The white one is the correct style for a A9X (hatch),Red A9X posted the picture of the orange hatch, again that is a correct one,as Red stated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users